Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fryeburg41

Fryeburg41

"Thanks for the memories" Hey! Was that Bob Hope ?

2. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

http://www.kolawars.com/blank.html
    i found this, it's something, not sure this is what you're after.

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

just to think i've read a thousand pages of anything besides an automotive manual or newspaper, and kept reading. Guess it is the pictures that count,
    nah I read it too,, and thats an accomplishment for me
    congrats to all who post here, and cant forget the lurkers
    this is neat:cool:

4. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

5. Holy crap, my home town when I was 6 years old!! Looking south on Phillips Avenue in downtown Sioux Falls, South Dakota. This used to be the main drag where I spent many a night cruising the loop in the sixties!!! One way, three lanes wide down Phillips, then back around on Main three lanes wide, then back to Phillips. Last traffic light on Phillips left two blocks for a short drag race before turning to go back up Main Street! Those were the best of times!

6. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Funny when I posted it originally, it was entered on 999

7. Is that the Ford Highland Park powerhouse?

[​IMG]

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. I thought Bob was an original........
    [​IMG]

10. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

Yes it is. The stacks are now gone, but I believe the building is still there. That is where the $5.00 a day originated.

11. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

12. Playing music for the shoeshine stand behind. Double cool.

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Without fanfare nor words of intro, Dog started this HAMB-hit thread December 18, 2009, and it took just a year and 28 days to reach 1,000 pages and 20,000 posts! The HAMB equivalent of a perpetual-motion machine, averaging an unbelievable 50 posts a day.

Looking back, this pic from Post #1, pretty much captured the spirit and set the tone for all that followed, IMO: the juxtaposition of the old and the new, the nostalgic longing for old ways and things, and the respect and affection for those who preceded us. Every aspect of the socio-economic backdrop and popular culture have been touched on -- really, the total life tableau in which the automobile grew up and diversified in hundreds of fascinating, unpredictable forms!

[​IMG]

Congrats, Dog, for kicking off such a popular thread. Congrats, Bill VanDyke and MrFire (Grahme), for the first post on Page 1,000 and 20,000th post, respectively. THANKS to the many regulars and occasional, loyal and thoughtful contributors -- too many to name (though Mazooma gets my vote for next U.S. president!). AND, THANKS most of all to Ryan Cochran and the hard-working editors/moderators for making the HAMB a household word!

QUESTION: You see my personal fave representative pic, above. ANYBODY else wanna show JUST ONE fave that stands out in your mind from the whole thousand pages???

14. c57heaven

c57heaven

15. Here's the original description that goes with the picture.

Art Arfons of Akron, Ohio, wears a monstrous outfit as he checks on new equipment on his dragster named "Green Monster," in Los Angeles Calif., July 27, 1959. Arfons was in Los Angeles for pre-meet warm-ups for the 1959 National Championship Drag Races in Detroit on Sept. 3-7. His dragster, known as one of the most powerful, is one of 750 hybrid cars entered in the races sponsored by the National Hot Rod Association. (AP Photo)

16. c57heaven

c57heaven

now that you mention it...that car was on display at Thompson Drag Raceway in Ohio last year or the year before.

17. jroberts

jroberts

I have some family and friends in Omaha and would like to know more about the "Road Queens" of South Omaha. Anybody know something about them?

18. MisteR Tee

MisteR Tee

I got one this Xmas!!! Made by Ridleys & called a "Spring Toy", but it's a Slinky by another name.

19. MisteR Tee

MisteR Tee

Looks like Frank Gorshin on the right. (Sorry if they have been all identified already).

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Cover of one of Jonathan Winters first hit LPs,
    1960, THANKS to johnkstuff@blogspot!

[​IMG]

The above album -- with cover art by the incomparable Jack Davis (MAD, etc.) -- is from 1963, following on his film appearance in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." This is THANKS to flickr! (A little-known fact: Winters did the first broadcast COLOR TV program in 1957, a 15-minute routine sponsored by TUMS.)

Wickedly multi-faceted, self-made and self-styled, Jonathan Winters was the early king of comic ad libs and impersonation! Entering the Marine Corps at 17, he served over two years in the Pacific and, in 1953, started an entertaining career that hasn't even stopped in 2011.

A favorite guest of Garry Moore, Jack Paar, Andy Williams, Johnny Carson and Dean Martin, Winters was prized for his ability often to flirt quite close to risque humor without going over the lines of taste -- this in spite of his impromptu style! He once sucked Paar in -- on the air -- with a faked phone call from President Kennedy (Winters' impersonation). His comic bag of tricks also included an impishly mischievous persona, capable of masterful facial mugging and the so-called comic "take" (think Milton Berl and Jack Benny). Paar wasn't punning when he said, "Pound for pound, Jonathan Winters is the funniest man on earth." His resume' is simply impossible to compress here, so I'm not gonna try! Improv comedians George Carlin, Bill Cosby, Robin Williams, Richard Lewis and others gladly owe him a debt of gratitude.

Besides TV guest shots, Winters did many LP audio albums, entertained the troops, and co-starred in movies and numerous TV series, winning an Emmy for "Davis Rules" in '91 and, in '99, the Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for Humor. Of Twain, he remarked with faux deep reflection: "I knew him when he had black hair and no mustache. He was standing by the banks of the Mississippi, eating a Dove bar."

Hey, ONE off-the-wall guy -- and an entertainment treasure!

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Jonathan Winters is comedy genius.

22. The elusive "Divco Milk Truck" wheels (Kelsey Hayes accessory wheels for clearance purposes)..

23. Thought so. I was just up there a few months ago to the Henry Ford and was BLOWN AWAY by the Highland Park engine at the museum. Can't imagine seeing all of them running at the same time!

[​IMG]

24. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Thanks for the memories Dog.

25. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, who would want that rusty old thang? Get at least a hunnert bucks fer scrap............:eek:

27. RossPreen

RossPreen

And that may be Donald Campbell with the model plane in the first pic.

28. I think he has already been identified correctly as the the guy who drove the Challenger in Bullet. He was a stunt driver and this was an early racing film with Barbara Stanwyck and Clark Gable, so he was probably a stunt driver on that film. Put some black horn rimmed glasses on him and he is a ringer.

29. Super442s

Super442s

QUOTE=kholm65;6093680]
    Me too. Not much into bikes or "biker chicks", but yes, very hot indeed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.