Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Jalopy Races

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Surprising to see all this footage in color, really neat that historians like Dave are saving it . It's neat to know there are guys like Dave around the country who are also saving history, and it's always a treat when a "new" old find comes to light. Thanks for posting it.

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

wow.... thanks for posting this Ryan...
    Here's my dad's uncle George Suhr in his "jalopy" from central PA in '46
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  4. Ryan ... interesting video ... thanks for sharing.

Now those are "ROLL" bars! ... I don't think I've ever seen anything like them before ... and using an old wagon wheel ... who would have ever thunk?

5. Detroit Chrome

Detroit Chrome
    from California

Best video ever made. Loved those roll bars.

6. Lucky77

Lucky77

Now that was cool! I really dig that tow truck too.

7. casper

casper

Wow! What a great video ! I have to say those "hula hoop" roll bars were a good idea at the time. Thanks for posting this.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Way cool! I've seen a photo collection of jalopy racing from here in AZ. about the same time frame. We had tracks running in Phoenix, Prescott, and Holbrook. It made me think about how hot rods spread from CA out ward across the country. Probably because of our proximity to CA., our cars from that era tagged as "jalopies" looked much more like the traditional track roadster of the era. Video was way cool, and deeply commendable for taking the time and passion to preserve a bit of little known history

9. crapshoot

crapshoot

NICE VIDEO, really interesting to see the interviews of the guys that raced, those hula hoop bars are crazy

10. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

2x on that. Those are true "roll..over" bars. At first from the blog photo I thought they were running airplane engines like on a 'Glades air boat, or funny French contraption that I saw on "My Classic Car"

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Ryan , thanks for that really great video of the old Jalopy race cars ! It's so interesting to see how it all began to where it is today ! I love the "Safety" roll bar ! Someone had a good idea there ! It was really nice that a farmer would donate some of his field so the men could have some fun racing . Those were the greatest days of racing and to see what that had to work with . Those were real men to get into those "Jalopy's" and race each other like that . I saw in one picture where the fence had fence polls with Barbed wire on it . Man that would really hurt if you went though that fence .
    Again thanks for all the great footage and to all the great race car drivers in the video !
    I loved it !

Retro Jim

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Now that is something different. Love the roughness and true grit of the whole thing - even the strange left over something at the very end, just part of the charm. (glad though that last part wasn't some other type of home video if you know what mean. :D)

Nice, thank you.

13. Shade Tree McGhee

Shade Tree McGhee

That video is so freakin cool...

14. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

That was great!!! Talk about a pile-o-fun!! I wish that there was a track around here that you could still race that style of jalopy at!! That color footage from '47 is pretty rare. I love the history of the "jalopy" races and the old, county fair race track type races. I see a new HAMB race class in the future!!!

15. flamingokid

flamingokid

16. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

I love the Roll Bars!

17. RustyCoupe215

RustyCoupe215
    from Owings, MD

Thats an awesome video! Rare color footage from 47...that was a pricey camera in those days!!! Its even cooler the photographer took the time to not only document the racing but the women and the cars...eveything changes but at the same time everything stays the same!!! HAHA Women and racetracks!! Its also nice to know that our deep rooted American automotive history isnt lost and someone took the time to document the "little tracks" and the everyday racers. Life hasnt changed all that much that 50+ years ago our grandparents were doing this same stuff!!!
    Very Inspring....

I really DIG the vintage Midgets thats cool stuff you see cars like that in musems like the one up at the Jalopy Showdown, in PA but soo much cooler to see em being driven, raced hard and at speed!!!!

18. now thats a show!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. scarylarry

scarylarry

Makes me happy! Thanks!!

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh, cave men. Dates back to the 'wheel'. Kinda 'full circle'...

21. That looks like good fun and great entertainment!!

Sure beats a wii or play station, I keep telling my kids wouldn't you rather do that for real?

I need to go to the Jalopy Showdown in PA!!!

22. silverdome

silverdome

Well wasn't that just about 30 minutes of fun and wonderment. Makes you want to go out and burn a few laps around the pasture. Thanks to all that put this together it is great.