Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Mercury old Custom convertible found.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lstwsh, Apr 27, 2010.

1. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

you got it, animal--

2. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Totally agree w/ you James, i didnt like it one bit, but its already a diffrent car w/ nice paint on. Will be an intresting build, and any old custom, beautiful or ugly is worth saving.
    Its like history, you dont skip periods because theyre boring or whatever, everything needs to be told......wow,never thought i cold come up w something this deep! :D ah ah ah....

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

I've said it before, and i'll say it again,,,JamesD...YOU ARE A PHOTOSHOP GOD!!, , , , if i had the car, i would keep it the way it is for history's sake,,but if i did make any changes, i'd shave the handles, get rid of the taillights, use teardrop skirts, 56 lincoln caps, a two inch chop,,,drop the rear down an inch or so,,paint it deep burgundy metallic with a white top,,,,,

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

X 2. For it to be restored back to it's original "little pages" look, it would have to be bought by someone that 1) Digs period Customs AND 2) loves the look of the customizing that was done to the car. Problem is that this probably won't happen as the "customizing" looks worse than the stock Merc look. It'll probably get new front and rear ends and a few inches out of the top.

Glad that she is letting it go-it could have easily sat til her death when you consider the sentimental factor of her Father building it for her+45 years. Good to see it's in pretty solid shape too. Imagine if it sat outside for 45 years.

5. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I talked to the lady who owns the car she was taking bids on it starting at $10,000 her dad bought her the car for her 16th birthday,still a good pieace

6. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Dude, are you talking about the car or the old lady?

7. Rikster

Rikster

Great custom. It might not be everybody's cup of thee, but it sure was for the owner/builder. He put a lot of effort into it to create his dream car.

The removal of all the body seams is amazing, and a very time consuming task. But it sure fits this car very good. I doubt if one would customize it further, say chopped top, 1940 Merc grille and stock fenders will look good on it. The way the car was designed by the owner/builder it seems to all work together for me. Its not something I would built if it was my project. But even the grille and bumpers seam to fit the theme, in my eyes. It most likely was a car that was used as a regular car. So it had to be practical.
    I would love to see this one being restored as it used to be. It would be a perfect sample of an East coast period custom. JamesD's Photoshop shows how good it will look. A nice paint job, some wide whites and a set late 40's early 50's aftermarket hubcaps will make this a very nice custom car.

Not all 1939-40 Mercs need to have the same look. It sure is nice to see something refreshing from time to time. And this one sure is. It looks to be built very well.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Some of you guys are just thinking out your ass. You really have no clue what real convertibles in this condition go for, even in this economy. The price being asked is very fair for this car in this condition. Not saying there isn't room to haggle but to say the lady is way off is not the case. If you guys only knew what I got for Rusty Olds last month ('47 Olds convertible) in far worse condition you'd shit, and a '40 Merc custom convertible is worth a whole lot more then a stock '47 Olds convertible. Real drop tops are worth lots more then their counter part coupes.

9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Its not worth saving.
    I'll be right there to save you from having to make decisions and fretting over to "restore" it or rekustom it. I think,.02, that it should be cleaned up and used.

10. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

Her Dad and a friend built the car
    he gave her the car for her 16th birthday

I went to High school with her and her husband

she was offered $10000 a while back but she didn't sell it because she knows the car is worth more
    I agree with her

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  11. Naw, take the grille off and hang it on the wall. Nice Photoshops btw.

12. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Ok Denise,
    how do you really feel?
    School's in.

13. lonewolf

lonewolf

i guess next time i sell a car i will have to have hotrodladycrusr apraise it since she knows it all.................

14. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

She is a nice lady,I told her to run it on e bay if she was taking bids on it.Really could be a nice car with some work on it.a 40 merc convertible$$$$$$$$ I would put the 40 front back on it along with the rear.

15. Better pics would help the car sell for more money. If possible I'd get it on concrete or asphalt too. Anybody who really likes that year Merc will tear that front grille out as soon as they get it home, it's worth more with a stock grille. :)

16. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it is a bit odd looking by todays standards, but back in the day I'm sure it was very cool. If I win the megamillions this week I'd buy it and maybe continue the customizing a bit... molded fenders, mild chop and drop it a bit.

unless the missing body line was simply leaded in, it would be cost prohibitive to restore it to stock.

I think it is cool... people who don't are weird.:cool:

18. Nice, but I would have to lose that bumper and grille. That looks like someone kicked it in the mouth and it got a swollen lip. Kinda like BOTOX.

19. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

When my brother gets back from Knoxville, more pictures will be taken of the car
    It will then go on "Classified" section here
    I would like to help 2 people
    The Lady that owns the car
    And a person here, that would appreciate the car and maybe share the "Build" or "restoration" with us on the HAMB
    I think the amout it sells for, would be the same here as Ebay
    It's hard for her to sell it,She's owned it for most of her life
    It's a part of her
    She has other things going on that have priority
    I don't want to get in to her life story
    But she's being very noble for what she's doing
    and giving up
    These cars only come up for sale very rarely

20. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

I am like you. I think the front end is cool. I would leave it alone..

21. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Being noble has nothing to do with the insane amount of money she wants for the car. If she REALLY wanted to sell it she would price it so.

22. The correct price of this car, will be determined by what someone is willing to pay for it, and someone else, is willing to accept for it.. period!

23. jb3778

jb3778
    from Toledo

IMHO...that is one fugly-ass ride.

24. James427

James427
    BANNED

I don't think that asking a high number at first is too crazy when you have no idea what it really will bring. But having said that, a car is only a "new discovery" once and once that novelty wears off interest in the car will too. After a while when the car has failed to sell for the rediculous price, people tend to feel that there must be something REALLY wrong with a car after it's been on the market for a few weeks or months and nobody has bought it. After listing it on craigslist AND here on the HAMB, I'm sure the seller has gotten several "fair" offers for the car and talked to enough people about it to put together a good fair deal for both parties. After all of that, sticking to the rediculously high price is just plain greed.

25. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I honestly dont get some of the comments here.. but maybe I think different.. I always thought when it came to old customs that some of the builders tried to make it look totally different from stock.. to the point where someone spends 30 mins trying to figure out what the car WAS, while admiring all the body mods and time and work that went into the car.. seems to me just by reading the first page.. the builders got a few of you asking what was it.. no it cant be a merc maybe its a" whatever"...to me that says alot about the work that the builders put into it.. its not the same cookiecutter car.. its a old custom, built at a time when there were there where other customs built and you had to use what ever you could find different from what other customs and stock cars had. its not like today where everyone copies such and such's car.. like some one said before.. its not a sam's car or whoever..calling it fugly and such just shows that you dont get it.. maybe you like things a certain way but this wasnt made last week, this was built like 50 years ago,different time, different custom car scene.. I dont know.. to me this a cool old custom that should be saved as it is.. not put back to stock.. or heavy modded.. doing that just kills something that lasted 50 years untouched.. but hey thats just my opinion.. and I aint all there..

26. James427

James427
    BANNED

"I always thought when it came to old customs that some of the builders tried to make it look totally different from stock.. to the point where someone spends 30 mins trying to figure out what the car WAS"

Yeah, I know EXACTLY what you mean!

Attached Files:

27. brewsir

brewsir

dude thats the coolest custom ever right there...I can't even tell what it started out as!! Does the sculls license frame ome with it?? That things so custom it must be worth $30K easy!!

28. skirtless33

skirtless33

Pipes said it all. That's my thinking

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

TRUE! You can buy one finished for what it would cost to "build" that one-especially in this economy. Do a Google search. For instance. http://www.streetrodsforever.com/1940_mercury_convertible.html

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  30. flat34pu

flat34pu

iv seen alot of cars with price tags of $15thou and $18thou that were half the car this is.
    yea the car might look ugly to alot of folks, it keeps looking cooler and cooler to me.
    especially after the JamesD photoshop, any color you want, and keep the grill.
    rich