Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Mercury old Custom convertible found.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lstwsh, Apr 27, 2010.

1. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

My brother told me about a 1940 Mercury Custom .He found out he went to high school with the girl who ownes it.She was given the car from her dad on her 16th birthday 45 years ago.I went over to see the car because she didn't know a lot of what was done to the car.The following mods were done as far as i can tell.Pie cut hood,i believe frazier grill and front bumper,52 ford taillamps with modified rear fenders,running boards removed with new lower panels added,chrome removed with filled holes,and possible rear trunk area sectioned.The drivetrain appears to be all original.The car does not run or drive and i am not sure what it would take to get it drivable but the car does need a total resto.I will try to get some pics up on here.I now know the thrill you other guys get when you see these barn finds.If you love the East Coast style Customs this car you would love.I found a dash plaque on the dash from a rallye in 1959.I believe the car was built in the fifties.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. Post some pictures!

3. Pics please...

4. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I will get some pics on tommorow night if i can figure out how.

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Holy crap man we need pics!!

6. banditomerc

banditomerc

Is this car white/blk top by any chance?

7. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I guess i would call it white or maybe cream.It does have a black top.

8. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

9. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

10. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Pre-K your right that is REAL SHIT

11. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Wow that thing is really cool..

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

It is one homely sumbitch from the front though!:eek:

13. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i love old kustoms and the history of em but this one is fugly.... needs another kustom treatment. maybe better grill shell instead of the ugly grill bar, headlights gotta go. and maybe some extended quarters with caddy touch

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  14. That could be frickin' cool with some thought and elbow grease!

15. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

It's interesting how different people can have such different perceptions. I think the thing is pretty rad, and I actually LIKE the front. I don't think it's homely at all, but I do feel the car would read better if it had some new paint on it.

16. Squablow

Squablow

I'm not seeing what is so horrible about this car. I think it's great and I'd love to have it. I might make a few minor alterations to it if I were the one to restore it but there are few customized cars out there that I wouldn't change anything on.

Some of you guys have no vision.

17. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am sure it really looked pretty damn cool for it's time. I am pretty sure with a freshing up it can look good again.

18. I don't think that is a Mercury. I think it is a Lincoln convertible body style from 42 thru 48.

19. F&J

F&J

I was also staring at the side view....and it just did not look right. I am still not sure what it was. :confused:

edit...I was thinking 41-48 Ford or merc??

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  20. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

interior shot[​IMG]

21. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

another shot[​IMG]

22. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

THE REAL SHIT. Clean it up, shine it up, and this thing would rock. It has a custom style that would be REAL and DIFFERENT. It is East Coast alright. Not my favorite style, but authentic.

23. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

i dunno about that, it would be ALOT of work to switch the pushbuttons on a 42-48 Lincoln doors to the lever style that the mercury had & since who ever kustomized the rest of this car didn't seem to radical I doubt they would have gone to so much trouble, PLUS that is NOT a lincoln A-Pillar.
    Also, that is a 40 Merc Dash, plus that "tiny" rear fender opening is a dead giveaway to Mercury sheet metal.

Cheatercarl

24. primed34

primed34

Not big or square enough to be a Lincoln. I still think it's a 40 Merc but a little on the ugly side.

25. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

When i first saw it i thought it was fugly too but the more you look at it the cooler it is.Not every Merc can be a Barris custom.I will agree i wish i had the money to buy it and redo some of the mods.The amount of work is amazing.The lady who owns it said her dad was not a bodyman.I told her he must have known a bodyman because the average guy would have not done this many mods on thier own.She does know that someone helped him.If anyone recognizes the car from years ago please let me know.I wish i could have the car restored for her .

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  26. bonesy

bonesy

Thats a Merc dash.

You can also see where the hood was extended and where the grille was.

I kinda like it.

27. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I think you are too high on your price but that is just my opinion and we all know what that is worth, I would think the car would be more around a 10,000-15,000 car at best, like others have said it is not all that pretty, it is the real thing, it is a real period custom but not one of the best done cars. Also I am guessing it has a fair amount of rust, and that it has no real history, so both of those will hurt its value, and I may still be too high on price my self, I am just thinking convertibles are getting hard to find. Just my 2cents, take it for what its worth. Jim

28. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a kool find . It looks like time period untouched custom . What is under the hood ?

29. banditomerc

banditomerc

does he have the 39 merc coupe for sale also?or is it gone

30. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

This car is rad cuz of it's history, NOT because of WHAT was done to it, but more so when it was done.

hey bros, cool is subjective... NOT!

look what George Barris did to the Chrisman Coupe!

I've typed it before HAMB Clones... all that glistens is not golden.

Sincerely,
    Cheatercarl