Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. baldtireman

baldtireman

What kind of chassis is the Lynch Mob car. It looks a lot like my Stapp 4-bar car. John S.

2. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

THANKS GUYS!!!

BTW -- the former Brenn owned Trevis built midget that Dick Briggs has is restored to the point of even having correct period hose clamps. It's one BEAUTIFUL machine.

3. deucemac

deucemac

There are some great classic shots taken at Ascot, but one of my favorite pictures ( and also one of my favorite people and drivers) has got to be this one taken at Ascot by Bill Taylor. Bill is the starter on the short course at Bonneville and quite a photographer. This was published in Open Wheel many years ago and Bill gave me the 6X10 that i am posting here. Most people when running a sprint at full tilt hang on with both hands, but not John! Give 'er full lock, stand on the gas, and shade you eyes was his motto.

Attached Files:

4. Mel Blanc

Mel Blanc
    from New Jersey

Great site and a great thread.Took me three weeks to get to this point,but worth every second.

I am fascinated by the 4 cam Ford motors.Does anyone have any idea how many were made,and what years they were made.
    Did Ford sell these to just anybody,or were they used for Ford projects.
    What is one worth today?

5. Buildy

Buildy

Cage or no cage that Shot of Redican rules!

I got to meet him at Stan Lobitz movie party back in Nov. He traveled east with Buzz Rose,I think.

6. racer5c

racer5c

No Bubby pic in the Gas Chem car yet??

7. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

www.quadcamford.com/

It's difficult to say what these engines are worth today but in '63 you could buy a complete donk for around $23.000. The equivalent today is around $150.000.

8. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

I have one of those. Here is Dean Thompson doing the same thing and Deno had a birth anomoly where he had one arm shorter then the other. My memory is vague but I think it was is left arm that was shorter so in this shot he is driving with the short arm.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  9. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Oops must have done something wrong. Let's try again.

Attached Files:

• cra2.JPG
      cra2.JPG
      File size:
      166.1 KB
      Views:
  10. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Pretty sure this is Bubby but it could be Buster Venard.

Attached Files:

11. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

One point of note on the driving with one hand. Power steering had become more prolific in sprint cars at this time and it was quite a bit easier to do it at that point. I know my first year and a half in sprint cars I had manual steering and it was quite a bit more effort with those although front tires were also starting to get wider so that was changing the dynamic as well.

12. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Deno used a "prosthetic" steering wheel. It had a raised portion, maybe 3 or four inches where the hand of his shorter arm grasped it. A very determined competitor.

13. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Blady;

I don't know what kind of chassis the Lynch Mob car was but here's all the pics I have of it maybe that will help. My recollection was there were really only a couple of Stapp chassis running in CRA in that time frame, the best example was the RE Coulter Crane car that was run by Bob East, now of Beast chassis fame. I don't have any pictures of that car but maybe Augie does. Here's the rest of the Lynch Mob Car

Attached Files:

14. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

I remembered his steering wheel I just don't remember for sure which arm was shorter. I also remember there was a guy racing in the same time frame, Tony Simon, who had lost an arm in a sprint or midget accident and drove with a prosthetic arm with a hook and his steering wheel had a special adapter for him to hook his arm into. Can't find where I have any pics of him

15. AugieAscot

AugieAscot

I'm going to Vegas this week end. When I get back I'll pull the box of Ascot pictures out and try and get some scanned from the O'l Bub & Deano years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think that's Oskie in the yellow number 1. Beautiful car if ya ask me.

16. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Here's some Ascot action for the day.

The first is Jimmy Oskie in the Hank Hacughi Bromme chassis sprinter
    Not sure on the second but if I were to guess I would go with Tommy Astone
    and not sure for the third but I would guess Billy Felts.

Attached Files:

17. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Best I can do is offer up my dvd of the televised weekly shows from around 84.These were given to me last year...Bubby, Rip, Dean, even a visit from Kinser for the pacific coast. There is around 5 weekly televised (locally) shows, heats, interviews with Dean and Bubby since they were in the championship hunt. I'll send them to anyone who wants them, as long as they pass them on to the next ascot fan...great racing.

18. Mitch G

Mitch G

Thumbing through some "Open Wheel Magazine" issues, (July 1991) found this neat color shot of Tommy Hinnershitz #57, and Mike Nazaruk in the Elkins #73 at Darlington, 1954. Maybe this photo was posted earlier, but I thought it was a pretty neat shot.
    [​IMG]

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks Mitch!

Good shot!

-------------------------

ASCOT PHOTO'S

I'm liking the Ascot Photo's. As much of a NON-CAGE fan as I am for historical sake, I'm 33 years old, and the style cars you guys are showing at Ascot is WHAT I CAN REMEMBER!! ;)

Keep em' coming! Weather the purist like it or not, the 70's and 80's cage cars are the next to blossom into there own Vintage scene. Welcome them or not, THERE COMING! (and there is a lot of them out there!) ...and fact is, the more guys that decide to restore these cars, the more PHOTO'S of that era will be needed.

THANK YOU for posting them, and making them public knowledge for everyone to see, compare, and use as a resource.

Joshua Shaw

20. Jerracer

Jerracer

Ascot 1964- Hal Minyard in the Surdam #14 and Johnny Gavin in the Pop Miller #2.
    Western Speedway-1964 Paul Jones (Parnelli's brother) in the Pop Miller #2 and Bob Hogle in the #1Tamale Wagon

Attached Files:

21. Jerracer

Jerracer

More vintage stuff. Here's one of future 5 time CRA champ Jimmy Oskie leading at El Centro in 1965. That's Hogle in the #2 Tamale Wagon and Gordon Wooley in the Pop Miller #4 . I think Wooley won both mains that weekend. They ran a complete show both Sat. and Sun. back in the day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  22. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Wow I didn't know Oskie was racing back in 65. The Tamale Wagon was my first favorite race car because they were still running Offy's back then.

23. Jerracer

Jerracer

Jimmy was a rookie in late 63 and 64 after coming out of the CJA. If you get a chance, see if you can find Thomas Luce's Memories of the Calif. Jalopy Assoc. Book. It's got pics of Oskie, Hogle, Wilkerson and others when they were starting their careers. Lots of cool stuff in that book.
    The Tamale Wagon in these pics was the original one built by Roger McCluskey in 1958. The Morales Bros. ran this one till 1968 when they took delivery of their brand new Edmunds. Back in those days it was common to run a car more than 10 years- you don't see that these days.
    I understand that this car now resides in the Speedway Motors museum in Lincoln, NE.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  24. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I agree. One of the best HOTROD magazine cover cars.

[​IMG]

25. racer5c

racer5c

Sign me up!!!

26. alsancle

alsancle

Here is a picture of the same car from the other side that is in the "Dirt Track Auto Racing" book, page 198. There it is listed as unknown driver and unknown track. I assume that when this picture was taken, Gustav Schumacher had sold the car and hence the rename to "Rosemary Spl".

For those of you that are prewar racing buffs, if you have a chance take a look at my Schumacher Thread and see if you have any thoughts on the Schumacher Vanderbilt car & chassis:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82304

[​IMG]

27. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

PM me an address. I had a couple copies...all spoken for. You guys can pass them on to the next ...and so on.

28. Jerracer

Jerracer

Yes, it WAS a great car. Another of the pre-cage cars of the mid to late 60's running with a bolt on cage.
    Don Blair owned this car till about 77 or so and as I recall, a rookie named Dick Leroy killed it at Ascot about that time. It was one of those brutal wrecks that makes you think it was a miracle that the driver lived.
    Oh, and this was the car Oskie won his second championship in, hence the #1.

29. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

I was there that night that Dickey Leroy destroyed that car, an absolutely brutal crash, if my memory is functioning today end over end down the front straightaway. Peter Nunn had a similar crash that kept him out of racing. I don't have a picture of Dickey's car but here's one of Peter Nunn's, a Maxwell Chassis I believe.

Attached Files:

30. Jerracer

Jerracer

Here's another pic on the CRA theme. Two brand new race cars this day at El Centro in 1968.
    The #5 is Frank Secrist driving the new Ray Wilson built Pop Miller spl. The 91 is Oskie who would eventually win his first of five championships the following year in this car. This was the first (and only) 4 bar car built by Hank Henry. Just a few months after this picture, Hank lost his life at Ascot. Oskie still brings this car, nicknamed "OlPaint" to old timers meets out here on the west coast.
    A special thank you to Scott Sloane, Pop Miller's grandson for these pics with Pop's cars in them.

Attached Files: