Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Golden Nugget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 27, 2009.

1. The Golden Nugget is one SWEET ride.

I love the fact that the mild customs that stand the test of time are often the the most understated. Why is so hard to keep it simple???

I have just recently developed a love for mild customs and am in the process of building a '54 Victoria. To say that I have been inspired by the Vaughan car is an understatement. I could stare at it for hours! Anyone have any more pics of Jimmies car, underhood, interior, etc...

I can only hope that mine comes off half as nice. Aiming to have it ready for Billetproof Detroit. I better get busy! :eek:

2. belair

belair

Saw Jimmie Vaugn's car in Kerrville last summer. What a perfect example of restraint. Shows that less is more. Mild beats wild for a custom!

3. Walt and his partner Buddy rented the basement of the Packard/Studebaker dealership on Valley Street in South Orange. Pretty small by todays standards, 4 cars max, no paint booth, etc. He fixed and repainted my '59 Chevy when I wrecked it, and added the Ramcharger paint to my '64 Dodge.
    Both he and I lived in Maplewood.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

[​IMG]

Those look really good. I'm trying to go with nice simple touches on my 55 Dodge also.

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I like it. Makes me want to go buy one!

6. 76ironhead

76ironhead

Sometimes less is better that car is a good exampel of that.

7. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

RYAN...actually i agree 100%. these types of mild customs still look like cars, and who could argue with that. O.K. maby mr. barris, but us poor folks can afford the milder ones. and i believe the SUN LINER was introduced in 54...POP.

8. Those 52-54 Fords and Mercs where very common when I was in high school during 1960-64. Thy were affordable, plentiful used cars then and unlike Chevys of the era had V-8's. Since we didn't have much money, most were mild cutoms.

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Personally, not feeling that one. I like even less than that. Start with losing the spot light and cont. kit for sure as well as the louvers and rear 1/4 panel junk might clean it up a bit.

Never understood the whole spot light thing. Why was that so popular? People out poaching a lot of deer or something? I can't imagine much need for a spot light on a custom car. But, I guess that is why I am more into hot rods than customs.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  10. The spotlights were thanks to the lack of streetlights.

Anyway, '52-54 fords are some of my favorite cars. I dunno, there is just something about them. The Pete Angress Ford is amazing. It not only shows the styling trend shifts, but it also always looked great.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'd like to add the Mark Morton '54 Mercury to this thread. Another GREAT example of this body style.

(Photos by Bass)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. desertdroog

desertdroog

RPW, did you archive the build of this car? This is the first time I have seen this and I have been on the HAMB since TSR days, and I do not remember this car I wish I knew about it earlier. Looks like you took out the right amount of fat on the body, though I am curious why you sectioned it all the way through the grill and brought the front apron up. No a critique, just a query, as I would love if the stock apron was lower to the ground on my car.

A nice one for sure!

13. von Dyck

von Dyck

My first ever car mag was 1959 "RODDING and Restyling" featuring Bob Smith's '27 T flathead powered roadster on the cover. On page 53, the taillight treatment on Dick Henifin's '53 Ford coupe is the installation of '56 Chevrolet. It really tidies up the rear look of these cars. BTW Ed Roth did the scallop treatment on this car.
    I have yet to learn how to download pictures to this site. Maybe someone has this issue of R&R and would do page 53 for all to see.
    No skirts, no connie, no Appletons, no louvers, no chop, sits level with lakes and three bar flippers. Just about right-on.
    So what if this turns into a '52-3-4 thread, I'm seeing some good comments here.

14. There are a lot of photos of it, both of the work I did on the car and also the work Tore did. Though I have given most of my photos to Tore, but I will take a look to see what I can find. Tore did 95% of the sectioning (I just cut one rear fender up). It was his choice to section the grille, mine would have been to go with a full height grille and a bumper closer to the ground as on the drawing. However that would have required a modifed frame or gravel pan.

PS I'm Hamber #22, did join 1996 or 97

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  15. Cochino

Cochino

Thanks for sharing!