Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first lace paint job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millerkustoms, Mar 8, 2006.

1. millerkustoms

millerkustoms

I'm in the middle of building a '51 four door cadillac for my fiances wedding present. I am painting the roof white with silver pearl lace panels and this is where my dilemma comes in. I looked high and low for pictures of cars with lace roofs for inspiration, and I didn't come up with much. This is how I have it layed out currently I am pretty satisfied with it, but I am just looking for an outside opinion as I have never done this before. Also the reason I split it into two panels is I could not find any lace I liked wide enough to cover the roof.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. I would suggest you do a test piece,or two,
    before blowing a lot of money on the roof.

3. millerkustoms

millerkustoms

That's part of the plan, I shot some samples in white that I am going to practice the lace on first.

4. PorkChop

PorkChop
    from Austin

You should holler at Lux BLue, from Crushproof in Austin.. he just shot a lace panel job...on another Hamber's car..although I dont know his username on here...

I watched him clear it last night. its coming along nicely if you ask me.. he might have some suggestions..

PC

5. Here are a few pix. splits ect

Attached Files:

6. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

One quick suggestion. I like the photo above of the blue lace job... However, I think it would have looked much better if the same lace designs were 'mirrored' on the other side instead of just arbitrarilly painted on the second side. If you look at a high dollar guitar that has a wood-grained finish, it's gonna be what's called 'book-ended' or 'book-matched', meaning that they took the wood and split it and let the wood slices fall like a book's pages falling open. This looks a whole lot nicer and will get a lot more positive attention.

Just a thought. It's this kind of little thing that makes a good paint job turn into a great paint job.

Vance

7. 53burb

53burb

The 2 people that I know that are great on lace and flake jobs is Donnie "lowandslow" and "Harpoon" on the HAMB here if ya want a straight up on LACE! KNUX!

8. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

When we did my wife's T-bird we wanted the two panel look. just make sure the lace is tight and STRAIGHT from ALL sides before you shoot. shoot it & pull it off right after you are done. we ended up using three panels which looks much better on a squarebird

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rab71 likes this.
  9. 63 wildcat

63 wildcat

that blue one is my lil wagon heres my wildcat laced roof

Attached Files:

10. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I used to do lace a long time ago.. Cool shit. How bout cobweb? Its been a while since I did that also. I did a 650 trumpet with a gray base and about 8 different colors of cobweb. I havent tried the new paints to see if its even possible to do any more?
    Dave

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Lookin' good Jer, can't wait to see the end result! I'll swing by tonight!!

12. My last lace job was in 1969. I'm surprised at some of the fads that have returned. I'm kinda waiting for mini skirts.:D

13. millerkustoms

millerkustoms

63 Wildcat - I've seen your car at quite a few of the pendletons shows, I really like what you've done with it. I am going for a really subtle look on the caddy though, that's why I'm only shooting pearl through the lace.

Thanks for the tips everyone, hopefully it turns out. I'll add some pics tomorrow.

14. varodder

varodder

Wow! Lace is back.......all the pictures look great and I can't wait to see the Caddy. I did my first (and last) lace paint in the early 70's on a BSA Lightning.

I'm getting ready to do my first pearl paint job on a friend's 54 Chevy. Does anyone have any helpful hints? I'm using PPG Omni, got stone white with some green pearl to mix in the clear. This will be for the top, the bottom is going to be lime green metallic with flattened clear. Anyone have a good formula for how much pearl to add to the clearcoat? Also, are there any special spraying techniques I need to know about? As far as flattening the clear I figure on taping up a test shot on a piece of scrap steel. Anyone out there have any suggestions on how much flattener to add to get a satin, or semi flat finish?

Thanks for any suggestions....

Attached Files:

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

damn that looks good!

16. skratch

skratch

bitchin!!

i laced a ranchero about 3 years ago....
    i thought it was dumb?weird

i love lace.

17. Millerkustoms, thats pretty much the layout we are going to run with for the roof of my car. 2 panels should look really good on that shape roof. Lets see some finished pics when your done....

18. BLAKE

BLAKE

Already posted this, I know, but here's my recent attempt at a laced Wassell tank. The hardest part was finding lace that's worth a damn!

Attached Files:

19. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

The biggest thing with lace (& it's already been said) is to get it tight. Also, if you'll notice the paint on the one hood they did a selective spraying; fogging over the lace pattern instead of shooting the panel solidly. I think you'll going to want more than just silver pearl over white, even if you want something suttle. That's going to be more like "ghost" lace (but your test panel will define it for you). You might consider tinting the pearl with another color - what color is the bottom of the car?
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

If you can't take the heat, get out of the nuclear reactor.

20. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Dang Blake, I'm impressed!

21. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

very nice

22. 63 wildcat

63 wildcat

well were not profesional painters me and my brother shot it in our garage one boring day..........i wasnt shooting for perfection i was just....having fun

23. millerkustoms

millerkustoms

Well after much headache trying to get the lace to stay tight, one half of the roof is done. I couldn't have done it without the help of my friends, at one point I was ready to just shoot silver pearl panels and skip the lace. But they told me to stop crying about it, and I am glad they did.

It does very much look like "ghost" lace, but that is what we were going for. The car will be pretty much stock, just custom interior (pattern/covering), and it will be lowered. So I didn't want the roof to really stick out. I love the way it turned out, and so does the old lady. Thanks again for all of the tips everybody.

Attached Files:

24. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I'll come clean with my pix tomorrow-:D:D:D

25. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Cool - looks great. If you haven't untaped it yet go ahead & fog a little of the pearl around the edges to give them a finished look....
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

You talkin' dirty or hep?

26. deathmobile

deathmobile

hey jeremy the caddy is looking really good i cant wait to see it cruisin around livermore, oh and i saw you haulin ass in your truck about a week ago in pleasanton-seann

27. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Nice! Funny, the whole idea, I suppose, is to look like there is lace on the car, but yours actually looks like real lace embedded in clear, super tasteful, I think. The girl looks PLEASED!

28. The Toast

The Toast

Hi do have photos of the completed t-bird.
    thanks

29. lgh1157

lgh1157

Hey bro, you got any pics of the whole car ?

L

30. Just a little hint to get the lace to lay down well over the surface:Spray a light coat of cheap hair spray on the down side of the lace before laying it down.It has just enough tack to keep it in place.

I've always found that it is best(both visually and ease of application)to do smaller areas with larger areas in between the panels.Also after the lace has been pulled,go around the edges of the panel lightly about an inch or two in to accent them.

I also agree with the person who mentioned the,"matchbooking " technique;it definitely looks better.The more consistent the coverage the better the final result is.Most old style lace jobs used high contrast colors such as black on white which required some very careful overlapping of the passes to ensure consistency.It also required only one or two passes to cover.I think using subtle color changes makes it too difficult to get a proper effect mainly because you have to make too many passes and that usually results in saturating the lace and making it difficult to remove easily.

If it isn't done right,it will look like one of those early fade panel paint jobs where the fade along the edge varies in thickness and stands out like a sore thumb.

Just my opinion