Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Lady in Destressss"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kimlaqua, Oct 4, 2012.

1. kimlaqua

kimlaqua
    from Australia

HI everyone, new 2 this site, but seeking advice, i have a 1960 cadillac coupe devile, she over heatered a few weeks back, like u c in the movies, steam everywhere under the hood. took her home and waited a day then tryed to start her again, she turned over but nothing, i think i stuffed the engine, still thinkin what to do?. might have to rebuild or exchange/swap,
    this is where i need the advice, if i was to swap what is a good size engine
    for my 1960 cadillac. "lady in destresssss":confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

to start a car you need spark, compression, and fuel----wet ignition ?

3. The engine may be perfectly fine. You need to determine that first.

4. ^^^ Yep
    Trouble shoot before overhaul. pretty hard to toast an old 390 cad.

5. I would add some water to the radiator and look for leaks first,,trouble shoot all the previous suggestions also. HRP

6. F&J

F&J

Get a compression test first.

I find it hard to think that a boil-over would ruin the rings.

Even if it needed rings, I would not swap a different type of motor in it, as it is too much work, and will cost a lot for all the mods to make it work.

7. servi53

servi53

may have just blown a head gasket, check the easy stuff first

8. start off by checking the coolant level then check the oil, make sure it is oil and not a milky looking mess. then find some one who can help with the no start. just because it over heated does not mean you have killed the motor. Don't want to start guessing as what is wrong but could be simple and then it's back to riding. Good luck and keep us up on what you find.

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

This guy is right.
    Put water in it,
    notice that water is coming out of the top hose.
    Replace the top hose,
    go riding

10. FRANKENSTEIN1313

FRANKENSTEIN1313

I agree check all your fluids first. Thats a pretty solid motor.

11. Snarl

Snarl

After you have checked the oil to see if it has coolant in it, and you have topped off the coolant level and fixed any hoses, etc... then,

when you steam up the engine compartment, you often will get coolant residue all over the electrical connections and inside the distributor cap. It won't like that, so make sure you check over and clean everything and then check for spark. You should also do a compression test to make sure you didn't pop a head gasket.

12. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

What is your location ? Some one closer to you may be able to help you easier.

13. " tryed to start her again, she turned over but nothing "

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

Probably water in the distributor cap. Use Water Displacement 40 (WD40) inside the cap. Spray liberally

15. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

X2x2x2x2x here here

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

60 Cadillac had a very durable motor, about 10 times better than the ones they make today.

Unlikely you did any permanent damage if you shut off the engine at the first sign of trouble. If you held your foot to the floor until it clanked to a halt, that is different.

Some very sound suggestions here. You may want to have a good mechanic look it over as well. 9 chances out of 10 he can have you back on the road, good as new, in a few hours.

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remove the distributor cap...leave the plug wires in place. Dab out the inside of the cap with toilet paper. Then use a hair dryer to finish drying. Replace the cap. It'll probably start. Happy happy. Shut off the engine. Now find the coolant leak and fix it.

18. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Good idea^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ using a hair dryer to dry out the distributor cap.

19. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

How does it crank? Maybe the battery got wet and shorted out. It might have enough juice to turn over slow but not fast enough to start? Did the air filter get wet?

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Rather than spending a whole lot of money swapping something else in there, spend a hundred or so and let a qualified mechanic diagnose it first. Sure will be a lot cheaper and easier. You might have something very simple wrong, which a good mechanic can find, and you are thinking the worst.

Don

21. nohotrod

nohotrod

run a compression test first thing. You may have warped the valves.

22. deto

deto

Air fuel spark. Air fuel spark. All together now...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad