Register now to get rid of these ads!

400 cu. in.chevy engine inquiry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zigged should've Zagged, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

My son wants to put a manual transmission where his Automatic is now. Is that block machined for that? (early 70's 400 chevy).

2. 400 chevy is externally balanced, so you need a flywheel specifically for the 400 and not a typical SBC flywheel.

3. budd

budd

400's did come standard, you need a flywheel made for the 400 as they are externally balanced, my friend and i had 400's with a standard trans in our pulling truck and i do not remember having to drill the crank for a pilot bearing, i'm guessing thats what your worried about.

4. Pilot bearing should go right in with no machining.

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

There is also a balance weight that is available so you can use a regular flywheel. There weren't a lot of 400s with stick transmissions so flywheels are scarce. Lots of racers used the balance weight.

6. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

If that's a good 400 block, tell him to sell it, get a 350 and stroke it out to 383 (now or later). Thars good money in good 400s.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

8. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

Thanks! That's good info. I guess we'll proceed. I like your Avatar by the way.

9. Hanson

Hanson
    from Belfair

Ran a m22 (rockcrusher) with a sb400 in my 60 gmc knee knocker. With the parts these guys listed its an easy install. Good luck and have fun.

10. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

I was just talking to my son about a rockcrusher, and there it showed up on the post. You know ,sometimes Dad makes a suggestion , but when someone else says it ,it flys higher.

11. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I run a 400" in my Studey...behind it is a T-400...the flex plate got chewed up badly by the starter way back in 1980...so I purchased another flex plate, not knowing of the external balancing and put it all back together. At thirty-five MPH, the car shook violently...had no idea what was wrong.
    I checked with a few mechanic friends and found out the problem...not wanting to spend weeks tearing the car down andputting it back together again, I took a hammer and chisel to the flex plate and whacked off a small 1 inch square piece of metal spot welded to the flex plate.... Took it down off the jack stands and took it out for another drive...solved the shaking problem...and I've been driving the car ever since...it's now got nearly 140,000 miles on it since then and not one vibration since then...

FWIW, the engine still in it -the 400" SBC was overhauled in early 1980...the guy that overhauled it told me it wouldn't last 80,000 miles cuz it was "so loose"...I'm almost twice that now and the car burns no oil and gets a constant 20-21 mpg...

Problem is, the lacquer paint is checking and needs redoing, the interior is worn from all the seat time and the carpet has massive wear spots...and I'm looking at a year or more to re-do it all...it runs so good yet I don't want to tear it down...

R-

13. 1oldrat

1oldrat

You can also buy a new flywheel for the 400,I'd much rather use a good flywheel than a $30.00 counter weight.That's just my opinion.

14. richie rebel

richie rebel

don't get rid of the 400 they good engines,do not sell it....richie

15. BISHOP

BISHOP

Best of the small blocks for sure.

16. johnod

johnod

Zig Like your coupe,37-8 one of fav cars, like the colour too.

17. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

The Guitar keeps rolling off though!

18. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Look for this threaded boss over oil filter . it is where the clutch pivot ball mounts on small block chevys . I just happen to be tearing down a 350 for an overhaul presently .

Attached Files:

19. aaggie

aaggie

Just making sure you know but the 400SBC also needs a different harmonic balancer since it is externally balanced.

20. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

This is all good stuff. I never mind someone making sure I know something