Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The 1962 Mustang

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Ahh, the car that started my infectious disease with the marque.

Odd V-4 or not, the concept got the FoMoCo wheels turning.

:cool:

3. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

I started life in the car world as a vintage Mustang guy. I've always wanted to build a replica of the 1962 at some point. They have a one of a kind look to them that no other car seemed to have at that point in time... Cool article.

4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Can you imagine how the automotive landscape would look today if a bred and butter car company like Ford would've actually had the guts to produce this car in the 60s?

5. Not the biggest 'stang fan but they have their place. The concept was cool.

6. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I wonder if any of the guys over at Chevrolet had this in their subconscious when they designed the stingray.
    Paul

7. squirrel

squirrel

....instead of the ponycar?

If that had happened, we never would have to put the 1964 cutoff on the HAMB

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  8. Monza GT and SS

and the Mustang they should have built!:cool:

Attached Files:

9. Hey Virgil,

The white chopped Stang convert. was at the Detroit Autorama in the basement this year. The Detroit Historic Society owns it in unrestored original condition. Cool car......

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Enh, a Ford Corvair. I happen to like the FR layout best.

-Dave

11. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

This car still exists and today it is at the Henry Ford Museum (The Henry Ford). When I worked there from 1996-99, one of my jobs was to get this car out of mothballs and get it running for the Meadowbrook concours. What a fun car to work on and drive around in, although the transmission was not fully functional and I don't think we could get anything other than first gear to work. I don't think the car was ever driven anywhere other than on and off transport trucks.

12. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

that hide away license plate is a pretty slick idea. odd how stuff like this really makes you start thinking.

13. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

Funny how 3 yr-olds work... ahh the simplicity of it all is contagious, gotta love it. My own 3 yr-old is pretty much the same. Except he simply labels anything with fenders or open-wheeled as a Ford, like the one Dad's got in the garage. :D But all the red and sleek stuff is a Ferrari too.

I have absolutely no idea how many HotWheels cars there are in my house, they keep coming in and they simply don't die. Some are completely buggered by now from ages doing bath gigs, but the kids love'em, and I have to admit that I like some a lot too. I have a personal choice line-up they already know (rods and customs), so when they want company they just gather my favourites to present them to me. I've lost count of how many times my feet have experienced the pain of treading on them in the tub after the kids have been there... but it's nice to know their enthusiasm is in the right place.

Cheers, Eddie

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

Just once,they should take a concept and bring it to market without drastic changes.Being a Chrysler dealer in the 80s and early 90s(and being a lifelong auto enthusiast),I was always wondering why they had to water these great concepts down and bring out some pale facsimile to what was originally plan.Business is business,but you can't always let the bean counters win.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

As a long time car guy, you obtain certain biases. Most of us here tend to lean towards the traditional side of things and you subconsciously write off anything that doesn't meet those expectations. It's always something silly... Like a '34 3-window with a wicked chop, 4-bars, disc brakes, injected 302, etc... You see the details and immediately pass over the car as "not your thing."

The cool thing about Miller, my 3-year old, is that I can poll him and get past the bias. He doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to tradition, but he very much understands "cool."

We were at the speed shop a couple of weeks ago and he was enamored over a little roadster that I've seen many times and just ignored as I wasn't too keen on some of the details.

"That's a cool hot rod daddy."

And it's interesting... because the car really does have a nice shape, stance, and look. I had just never noticed.

Kids... or at least my little man... really amazing sometimes.

16. I often envy that wide eyed innocence they convey. We all had it once and it would do the world good if we at least once in awhile tried to recapture it.

17. Yeah, I saw it in the flesh a few years ago at Carlisle. The interior door panels bespeak of the Galaxie 500 XL and of course the front says Tbird. It is one of those cars that I'm surprised a Mustang enthusiast hasn't done a copy of ( maybe some one has?)

18. I went to my son's room last night and he had all of his hot wheels lined up in a big square grid on his bedroom floor. I asked him what he was doing. He said, "I'm making a parking lot!" :D

19. Go speed racer.....

20. My son likes to line them up and run over them with a monster truck, except for a couple hot rods that always leave the line before the truck can run them over. when I asked him why he always says these are too fast to get run over. Man I love my kid.

21. Cerberus

Cerberus

Predecessor to the 1964 Ford GT40?

Attached Files:

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

The car was put in production.

Kinda, in a way...:D

The Matra 530 used the same engine and gearbox, in the same location..

matra_m530_71.jpg

private-category-matra-journal-1967-img.jpg

What really bothers me about the '62 Prototype is that it somehow lost its Lotus Wobbly Web wheels.

wobbleys_001_ed.jpg

The wheels that are on it right now look like they are off a Fiat 124.

cromodora04.jpg

I wonder when that happened, and why...

The right wheels are being reproduced.

http://www.davebean.com/specials1.htm

You'd think that for $375 a corner they would be able to make it right.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  23. metalshapes

metalshapes

Some more pics...

1965-ford-mustang-prototypes-3.jpg

img_0012_std.jpg

mustang_1ingt40sectionweb.jpg

mustangIexplosionviewweb.jpg

24. I can see the mustang concept being called a ferrari

25. Gaters

Gaters

Hey...give your son some credit for making the better choice. I'd take that Ford concept car over a Ferrari any day.

26. I have this ad somewhere in my collection.

Attached Files:

27. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What about the Viper? I never thought they would produce it but they did.

28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I also heard Iaccoca took one look at it and said " We could sell thousands of these. What I want is a car we can sell millions of". He got his wish.

29. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Not quite Ford but they did.
    Fiat X19 - the only car ACBC said he wished he had designed

30. metalshapes

metalshapes

Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman?

He said that?