Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pines Winterfront factory

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phillips, May 26, 2011.

1. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Waiting for the light to change, I look to my right and see this. I've probably driven by here 300 times and never noticed.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. GARY?

GARY?

3. 117harv

117harv

cool...or warm depending on how you look at it:):)

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Not only did they make the winterfronts but they also made the accessory Pines trim for 36 Fords.

5. WOW, now thats cool!

6. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

I don't know what is better: the building itself, or what was created inside it.

7. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

I heard that in the cellar there are crates with nos 1932 pines winter fronts... ;)

8. It's amazing that the building survives. Does anyone know when the company ceased to operate? ....Don.

9. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The building appears to be in good shape, it looks like it is being used for something, although I didn't see any signage of any kind on it.

I'd like to know when they shut down too, some of their patents from the '20s have been referenced by other patents as recently as 2001.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I never would have thought that they were that successful that they could build their own building. Buying an existing building and putting up a sign is one thing but building your own with that custom front is something else. They must have sold a bunch.

11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was surprised as well; but then again they did make them for many cars and trucks, plus they held patents on the thermostat and automatic shutter designs, etc. (This I just learned from reading up last night). It's an impressive structure.

12. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

They made a fine product in an era of bellows type thermostats, unpressurized cooling systems, and alcohol type antifreeze. I read sometime ago that the wax pellet type thermostat (which allowed pressurized cooling systems), along with more complex grille styling, and permanent type antifreeze, did them in during the early 40's.

Attached Files:

13. Very cool. I love those deco era buildings.

14. F&J

F&J

Back in 75, I bought a complete but rusted 36 conv sedan with rusty Pines trim. It also had a smooth hood ornament thing to replace the stock one.. Was it part of the Pines trim?

15. The Pines Winterfront Co. of Chicago manufactured thermostatically controlled radiator shutters. Invented by James Raleigh in the early 1920s, the Winterfront had a thermostat that pressed against the radiator core. When cold, its shutters cut off air flow, allowing the engine to warm up. When warmed up (I’ve read that the threshold was 130 degrees F, appropriate in the days of alcohol-based antifreeze with a low boiling point), the thermostat operated levers that opened the louvers. Some time in the 1930s, manufacturers began to install thermostats inside their engines. Thereafter, the need for Winterfronts faded.

16. v8 garage

v8 garage

Very cool art deco building. I would like to know more about the history of the building itself.
    V/8

17. bonesy

bonesy

That really is cool.

18. sololobo

sololobo

What a knock out building, I am stoked seeing this histrocal monument. Whao would have thought this company was as big as it was, and easy to imagine how quick the demand for the product stopped. Yikes!! Glad to see the structure has been quite well maintained. Long live classic buildings!! ~sololobo~

19. Funny how you can miss stuff in everyday life.

Did ya drive around back and look in the dumpster?

20. von birch

von birch

i know ford introduced an accessory winterfront for their cars in 1937, just a flexible/fabric grille shroud. and 36 is the latest for winterfront for a ford i've ever seen...

21. Very cool Building, was watching a 32 Pines front on eBlag.... its gone through the stratosphere...!

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Impressive structure for such a focused product. I've got to believe they had other products to be able to support that kind manufacturing operation.

Frank

23. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

24. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

25. Stutz, Duesenberg, and Marmon (and others I'm sure) all used Pines shutter assemblies on their factory radiators. Remember, that was a time when a patent still meant something...

26. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

not to move to far of the subject, i have a 33 ford pines grill,
    i've seen a couple of these come up on fleabay and fordbarn,
    i've never seen a 34 pines grill, did they make them?

thommo.

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Some diesel trucks still use a winterfront-like device.

-Dave

28. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I have a 1927 Essex grille with horizontal louvers that open / close. Always wondered if that was Essex or Pines. Anyone know?

29. Years ago, I worked for a restorer/collector who told me that all of the thermostatic shutters were built under Pines patents. Not sure if they all came from the Pines factory, but I could believe it.

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Packard kept automatic shutters (pines system) through 42. I believe all Cadillac 12s and 16s had em as well. That's a lot of cars. Like bigcheese said, trucks had them for a long time. Easy to think Ford accessory almost as an exclusive, but not at all the case. I'd love to stumble through that place. Thanks for the picture.