Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Reprinting of Felsen's "Hot Rod"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

i have no idea how many times i read "hot rod, street rod and road race" as they came out back in the day. you are right, they sure helped form this young hot rodders life and put moderation into perspective, could have even saved my life.

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Very cool. I've been meaning for years to read it. I am going to have to order a copy. Hopefully she'll get enough response to produce the other titles as well!

4. pitman

pitman

Raengines, good memories there!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found them on the Kitsap county Wa library's bookmobile when I was in the fifth and sixth grades and read them. Good reads and I have to agree that they had a big influence on me.

6. Abomb

Abomb

I read them in the 70's, and I'm always looking for them at yard sales, thrift stores and the like....I'd buy the whole reprinted set if available...and reasonable.

7. weldtoride

weldtoride

My high school used Hot Rod in the summer remedial reading program to show us we could actually enoy reading books... it worked. I went on to read all his other books. I still have my copies from 1966.

Holly, your father made readers out of countless young people who might otherwise never have enjoyed reading. Thanks for bringing it back and may it enjoy the success it deserves.

8. alchemy

alchemy

9. NoSurf

NoSurf

I read my Dad's copy of Hot Rod when I was a kid.

Now I have a whole reprinted set.

I hope this edition sells well, it should, it's a great book.

10. Bull

Bull

Ordered 2 copies!

11. Bull

Bull

And I LOVE this car! Seen it a few times and can't get enough of it!

12. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Ryan,
    Thanks for this posting... When I first watched Faith Granger's film, "Deuce of Spades", I thought of the book "Hot Rod", which I read from the City Library in my hometown of Washington, KS.. think I read it 6-7 times during High School..back in the early 60s.. Loved the book and will order a copy.. Neat to see it reprinted!... duane (NM Sandrail)

13. Ironswims

Ironswims
    from Illinois

14. ?? were some not reprinted in hardcover set a while back?
    seems I have seen it or bought them...

GOSH THE SENIOR MOMENT'S ARE ALMOST ALL THE TIME NOW !!!

I DO ENJOY FINDING THE OLD ONES AT GARAGE SALES ....ALL BEAT UP AND WELL READ..

the original 1st editions were when ?????

15. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

I cherish my signed edition of all his books and was honored to help Holly out a bit about the cover Art. Read them in 6th or 7th grade and they were the only books I eagerly read cover to cover. I appreciate all her hard work to see that this edition came out and hope someday I can have her sign my copy.

16. Well how cool is that? My dad had them under the bed next to the motorcycle when I was little. I read them all and always thought he left them there for me to read. Maybe he did.

I'll have to sell something. Gotta have the whole series of it ever happens. Classic.

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Some of the pictures Holly took are of HAMBer cars (mine included). And some of the locations (railroad bridge, gas station) are in central Iowa close to where Henry lived and wrote the books. The copy Holly inscribed for me sits next to the set her Dad signed for me back in 1993. These definitely will become family heirlooms.

18. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finished reading my copy of the repop last month. Grew up in the 60's but never had a chance to read it before. Would make a good basis for a movie.

19. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Like most of you, I read Hot Rod by Felsen during my formative years. I actually found the book in the school library and it was probably the only book that I checked out multiple times. Today I ordered a copy of the book and they have already processed my order and the book has shipped... all in one day. That is good service! I look forward to the books arrival.

20. catdad49

catdad49

Don't remember reading "Hot Rod", but I know I read "Crash Club" a few times. I still have my copy of "Road Rocket" and after 40 years, two long distance moves and other episodes of life, I can put me hands on it in a heartbeat. Time to read it at least one more time! Cat

21. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

am going to read mine under the covers with a flashlite!!!

22. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Crash Club was always my favorite, maybe because I read that one first. Glad to see Hot Rod is being reprinted. My dad had the autographed box set which he stupidly gave to my unappreciative sister so it's long gone :(

23. haychrishay

haychrishay

I think a teacher in 7th or 8th grade got me to read crash club and I ate it up! Anyway I was at Gene Cross" place last spring when he had Holly there and I was introduced to her. I just got my copy of the reprint and can't wait to get to it. Thanks for doin a spot on it Ryan!

24. bardwell02

bardwell02
    from Dallas, TX

Okay I jumped up and ran to look for that old box of books before I even finished reading this post! Still looking for the box I put it in, hopefully it survived the garage sales of the last few years. I remember reading this and several others as a kid in the 70's. I remember that these were always the ones in the library that were the most worn-out. This is cool that they are being reprinted.

25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I still have at least one copy of each and pull one out every so often to reread

anyone that is into traditional hot rods
    or American history should definately read them

'hope Holly sells a million of 'em!

26. The back of my head has never looked so good.

27. Those Box Sets of the Felsen books are out there for some pretty hefty asking prices. I have an autographed set, but I'll be holding on to them.

28. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

I read Hot Rod in 5th grade (1970s) and my old man jeered at me. He said "is that old dog still around?" Made it seem even better.

29. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

When you're walking around at the shows this summer, everyone who's gotten the reprint is going to be looking at the back of your head and say "I know that guy from somewhere".

Will you sign my copy before you become too famous?

30. hightower611

hightower611

Common sense ain't too common