Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Dick Fowler Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bob-o

bob-o

Bitchin story. Great car!

2. OLLIN

OLLIN

any recent pics since last week? anyone?

hey posts those other pictures the guy gave you alex! that custom chevy..
    this car is one of my all time favorite 40's customs.

Its been one of my favorites ever since I saw it in the in the andy southard book.

3. bob-o

bob-o

Axel, thanks for bringing this car out to GNRS. It was fanastic to finally see it in person!

Ollin, these were the best pics of the Coupe I could get with all the people in the way!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. OLLIN

OLLIN

Awesome! True 40's custom.

5. great story, car looks great !!! thanks for sharing !

6. weez

weez

Alex,

Glad you went to the effort to get the Fowler car together for the show, it was cool to see it! It looked bitchin with all the other early customs around it- (I liked the music in the room too, it was a refreshing change!)

7. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

I never saw this post until today and it's sad the story isn't correct. Axle had no idea of the car's history, other than it being an old build. I was the one who realized it was the Dick Fowler Ford and sat down with George Barris at Dick Dean's retirement party in 2005 to ask him about its color and other details. George didn't remember much and had little to no interest in talking about the car, saying it was "some dark color...maybe blue". I presented vintage pictures and what Barris had told me to Axle. As far as I know, Barris never confirmed its identity in person. It was bondoed-up and put in white primer for the Customs: Then and Now at GNRS, then sold to Kurt McCormick for a proper restoration. The car was on a different frame with later suspension and SBC motor, heavily molded fenders, and lots of bondo. I have pictures of it back then.

I stumbled upon this while looking at old pics of the car and I look forward to seeing pictures of it restored at the Custom Revival this weekend with Kurt McCormick...he has done an amazing job overseeing its restoration!

51 mercules likes this.
  8. Voodoojaime

Voodoojaime

I was lucky enough that Kurt let me sit in the Dick Fowler coupe. Mr. McCormick is a class act. Sat down with him for a hour going through his scrap book and history on the car. image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
    shoebox1950, lurker mick and X38 like this.