Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much does a small block chevy weigh ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wtfbill, Dec 27, 2009.

1. wtfbill

wtfbill

I am building a 47 studebaker truck on a s-10 frame. I am worried about the front springs. Whats the weight difference between v-8 and v-6 .

2. I'm betting the difference between a 4.3 V6 and a smallblock is maybe 50-75lbs since they are basically the same plus or minus 2 cylinders. That being said you won't have any idea at all what springs to use until you have the whole weight of the body on the frame inlcuding engine, trans, interior, etc. The difference in engine weight is minor compared to the weight difference between an S-10 and a 47 Stude truck. If it was me I'd get the whole thing built using the stock S-10 springs you have and see how it sits. If it's not to your liking get friendly with the guys at Afco. http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_USbrake/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=A

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  3. 46stude

46stude

4. wtfbill

wtfbill

See, I am thinking that the 47 doghouse ,etc. will compensate for the difference in motor weight . I would just like to get the actual lb.s of each motor. I cant find the answer!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

5. 46stude

46stude

Which do you think is heavier? The S10 body or the Stude's?

6. wtfbill

wtfbill

By far the S-10.

7. swimeasy

swimeasy

I read somewhere here on the HAMB that they weigh 475 and 525lbs respectivly, but that might be for block and heads only.

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

The S10 swaps have been done for years with fully dressed small blocks weighing in at closer to 685 lbs. You have plenty of room for a bare bone engine and your body. If backed into a corner, the 4x4 S10, Astro van, or late '80s GM mid-size springs will solve the problem.

9. edweird

edweird

I put this 52 dodge on an s-10 chassis.it has a big block and i used a new set of 4 cyl.s-10 springs in front. It rode and drove very good.

Attached Files:

10. chevyshack

chevyshack

A complete 350 weighs maybe 500. As long as the s-10 didnt come with a 4 banger. The v-6 springs will work fine. If your that worried about it buy a new set for a 4.3 v6 s-10 with 4 wheel drive. Probably more then you need though. My dads s-10 blazer was 4x4 and road very rough. New springs shouldnt be over 60 bucks.

11. 46stude

46stude

Yep, the Stude body is alot lighter. According to the chart I posted the link to (post #3 up above), the diff is about 150 pounds. Add headers & an aluminum intake to the SBC, you drop quite a bit of weight. Aluminum heads will lighten it up even more.

Couple that w/ the lighter body & I don't see any problems. Heck, the Chevy LUV guys swap to SBCs from a little 4 banger w/o spring changes.

12. 4x4 S-10s use torsion bars. Using a 4x4 frame would give you the ability to adjust the front end up or down because of this but I don't know if the 4x4 spindles can be replaced with 2 wheel drive stuff. The track width is also wider on a 4x4 S-10. Look at the difference on the offset of the wheels sometime and you'll see what I mean. 4x4 rear axle is also wider. The other spring choices you list would possibly help but it's still a guessing game. One phone call to someone like Afco telling them the weight of the vehicle, what springs are in it now & how much higher or lower you'd like to get it and 65 bucks later you have a brand new set of springs with a lifetime guarantee that they will replace them if they ever sag more than 5%. That's just what I'd do. Your mileage may vary...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  13. chevyshack

chevyshack

Block by itself is only about 200. I lift my block with crank and pistons still in it up off the ground and into the engine stand with one other person. Once was with my wife helping.

14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yeah...none of the smaller GM 4x4's of that era use coils...off the lower A frame, they would be in the way of the front CV shafts.

I wouldn't be concerned with the coils at all yet.
    Will you be moving the engine back? That and a lighter cab might mean your present coils are already too stiff even with the V8.

I'd bet there's a number of varied spring rates available just for the basic S10. 4 cyl, V6, Extended cab, V6+air, 2x4 4door Blazer, 2x4 4dr Blazer + air......
    Those things have been around forever in every body style/powertrain imaginable...and all were different weights.

15. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i'm thinking a complete running sbc is around 575 if all iron.

16. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

You kind of hit the problem I'm having with the original question.

Small block Chevy can mean so many different things, and since they are often dressed different, and are not always all iron, don't we really need to know more about the motor to answer this question?

Either the plus or minus implied by an average means the difference in front clips doesn't matter either, or the precision needed to give a useful response is going to require more information and someone who has weighed that particular collection of pieces.

17. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

18. I would think the Stude body heavier than the S10, if nothing else it's thicker gauge steel.

As for the motor, figure around 600 lbs. If you're off by 50 lbs one way or the other it's not going to make a big difference. Guys put V8s into S10s quite often and I've never heard of anyone having a problem breaking them.

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

20. 46stude

46stude

A complete M5 from '41-'48 comes in right under 3K pounds. They are pretty light for an old truck. Figure in all the modern stuff found in an S10 (AC, heat, electronics, power windows & door locks, wiring harnesses, etc) & I doubt the Stude cab would come close.

21. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

OK, so we've agreed on 575lbs. for an all iron engine----this means if you've got aluminum components fine---you know it won't be more than 575#'s.

Part 2:

Smokey Yunick was describing a way to lighten up a small block chevy by, i presume, "shaving" metal off the block.

i want to know exactly what this procedure entails. Please be very detailed.

22. I Drag

I Drag

I have seen iron blocks with the outsides milled to reduce weight for drag racing (comp eliminator to be specific). The block is put into a milling machine and excess material is milled off. I do not know how much weight is typically taken off.

23. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

It was only worthwhile in combination with many, many other lightening mods. Also note that 575 is the engine alone. The accessories will add up more than any weight you might shave by dressing the block and heads.

Why so concerned? You really are in known territory with the S10. My V8 S10 was a '85 4 cylinder that I used the stock springs with a basic smallblock having an aluminum intake, iron water pump and alternator. I had to add dropped spindles to get it down as low as I wanted.

24. RodStRace

RodStRace

C-10 you gotta focus!
    No point in trying to get the engine lighter if you are using a stock frame and body!
    Get the thing together and then modify. There are enough battles to be won there without worrying about shaving 3-10 pounds off the block.
    Here is an example, though.
    http://www.accellodyne.com/block lightening.asp

Concentrate on steering, brakes, suspension, and body mounting. Figure out how to make the steering, seat and pedals comfortable for you. Make sure the equipment the cops tend to ticket for is in place. Then worry about refinement, especially if it's your first!

To remove weight, you can acid dip the body, build a tube frame, run a smaller, lighter starter and alt, and go through each component and get the weight down, but the guy on the bike is still gonna beat you across the intersection in most cases!

25. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

that truck is sick man!!!:cool:

26. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I have found that sbc weigh is just right to keep my boat from drifting away