Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Muttley

Muttley

2. Muttley

Muttley

3. Muttley

Muttley

4. Damn Muttley ... You trying to join Skip's 10,000 post club all in one night? :D

176 Drag Car photos in 176 individual posts (and if ThirdGen & hotrodpodo hadn't "snuck in", it would have been 176 contiguous posts) ... that's gotta be some kind of HAMB record.

Thanks for taking the time to scan, re-size and upload these images to your Photobucket ... and then post 'em here ... much appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  5. ron95gt

ron95gt

awesome pics muttley! whats the story with the garlits FC? never seen that before..

6. Slow down Muttley, I can't keep up:eek:

7. ron95gt ... here's a blurb about the car from the 70s Funny Cars website (www.70sfunnycars.com) :

Evolved from the Gold Digger Mustang came the short-lived Gary Bolger driven Don Garlits/Bud Richter Charger from 1971. Car was the Mustang rebodied with a Charger shell after Ira Lichtey along with the Chicagoland Dodge dealers put the deal together. Dealers were suppose to pay for the body, paint, and tin while Garlits lent his name to the project for a percentage of each appearance. Deal didn't work out too well (it's a long story) and following a stormy 2 month "honeymoon" the deal fell through. Gold Digger Mustang body went back on the car and the Charger body was sold to Tom Hoover.

8. Muttley

Muttley

HAHA........I'm done for a while. It took about six hours to copy/crop/upload/post those. My mouse finger needs a rest.

9. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Beautiful pic, Muttley! Thanks SO MUCH for sharing them!!!!!!!

10. dragnews

dragnews

Yes Muttley thank you so much for starting my day off good...Please do more.
    Rob Ragland/Ardmore Dragway.

11. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Some great photos by Fred Von Sholly. Look for fredfiles over on the NHRA site for more.

12. brandon

brandon

whats the story on the 2 short wheelbase vegas ....rebodied altereds?

13. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

:cool:
    Great stuff there. :cool: I want to thank that finger and hope it gets better real soon. Thanks :D

14. Muttley, I think I just ODed and Floppered out. Thanks...

15. sledwood

sledwood

Fantastic memories Muttley. Many thanks. Mark this as my being duly impressed. One of the best runs in the whole thread. My compliments.

16. If you're talking about the Vega A/FC in Fred Von Sholly's photos,that's Vic Tiffin.The car had a 100" Strange Engineering chassis,and you're right,very short for that day's standards.Makes you wonder if that was originally an altered chassis. Dennis Doubleday

17. Muttley

Muttley

Yes they are. Please let me make it clear, I didnt take any of those pictures, just copied/cropped/uploaded/reposted them.

18. brandon

brandon

yeah , there are 2 different ones pictured. 100" chassis would be insane or just right for a fuel altered. :D neither car appeared to have anything sticking out of the hood or thru the cowl , like they might be injected .....:rolleyes: cool never the less. norm paddock did a run of those shorter f/c cars for the BB/fc class , maybe they were some thing along those lines.....

19. Ebert

Ebert

YOU DA MAN, Mr. Muttley!!!! Thanks!

20. Yeah,the "Spoiler" is the 100" car.The "Wiskey" vega of the late Joe Amato (a different Joe Amato than the East coast guy) was supposedly a 120" chassis.Hard to tell.Not sure if this is the Norm Paddack car you are referring to or not. Dennis Doubleday
    [​IMG]

21. Great stuff from Cecil, York, Capitol, etc. We sold a ton of fiberglass to all the racers in the Mid-Atlantic from '62 on. Thanks for all the work it took to post them.

22. brandon

brandon

yeah thats him....got to talk to him at bg hrr a couple years back. pretty neat guy , with lots of story. the guy that lettered the car , told me painted "the funny farm" on the car , norm move to the country and setup shop. as they would have a handfull of cars being built at one time. thanks

23. HKH

HKH
    from CA

Great stuff!!!!

24. 409John

409John

Where ya at, boys? That's New Orleans Yat slang for "hello". Been reading all the great posts and enjoying the old pics. Ran across a few of my old racing buddies' cars that someone posted on here, but seems no one knew who they were except for my old racing buddy, Glenn Cupit and his Cupit and Cunningham dragster. I will try to scan some photos soon to help identify New Orlean's racers. Thanks to all for this great thread.

The following is a pic of my old rod, retired back to the street from 1963.

Attached Files:

25. It's not too often you see a Bantam altered with an injected BOSS 429!

Boss! Great pictures!

Steve
    Hosting- 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! March 27-28, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org
    Make plans to attend

26. A Pontiac powered Firebird funny car I've never heard of. Very cool. Any more pics other than the 2 already posted?
    thank you!

Steve
    Hosting- 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! March 27-28, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org
    Make plans to attend

27. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Muttley, Where in the world did you come up with all this AWESOME East coast stuff????I'm really lovin' it all and I'm not through it all yet. This is great, THANKS!!!!!!:D

28. Steve,here are a few more shots of Dick Stoke's Firebird from 69 and 70.First shot by Al Booten,second and third by Roger Stanke, and the last by Bill 'Redman' Floyd (courtesy Bob Rice). Dennis Doubleday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Tha "Pontiac" motor sure looks a lot like an Elephant. ;)