Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto Polo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 21, 2009.

1. DrJ ... you're not dreaming ... the "Street Sweeper" events were held at the (NSRA sanctioned) Lodi Mini-Nats & Merced West Coast Nats in the early '70s.

The "Street Sweeper" & "Rod Jousting" events were held as an "insurance-friendly" alternative to the Streetkhana's (Autocrosses) that had the potential to "get out of hand".

Another event that "got out of hand" was the "Creeper Races" we held in conjunction with the West Coast Nats in Merced ... Rodders are so damn competitive! :) ... they showed up with pretty sophisticated motorized (electric & 100cc) creepers ... basically, very narrow Go Karts :eek: ... that caused all kinds of headaches with the underwriters.

I'm sure Rich Venza could elaborate more about similar events they held in conjunction with the Nats East in Timonium.

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I'd bet the pictures are staged because the photo technology of the day couldn't capture the real action shots

I'd bet there were some real broken bones too

3. silverdome

silverdome

You gotta believe!

4. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Finally!
    A place to run HA/GR cars!

5. That's what you do with the stock Model A running gear left over from building your hot rod -

6. joebuick

joebuick

that is completely insane but looks like so much fun

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

8. river1

river1

anyone else notice the license plate had the same numbers in each of the pics. same cars rolling many different directions. i agree they were staged for publicity shots but still looks like fun.

later jim

9. This is similar to what they ran at some of the tracks in Southern California, back in the 50's. I should and that they called the events "Moto Polo". I can't recall how many players/cars they had on the field. I do remember that the ran around most of the stadium, including the infield, chasing the big ball, including the infield. It made for some great action.[​IMG]

10. That's just a preview of next week's Jesse James is a Dead Man

11. autobilly

autobilly

I hate to be a "Conspiracy Theorist", but baring in mind BLAKE's comment, by Jove I think you're rite! Either way it's damn good publicity.

12. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

No way I would try that.

13. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

14. Labold

Labold

The photos may have been staged but the roll overs etc in that U-tube video are definately real!

15. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

I came across this today:

[​IMG]

In case you don't know what to do with all those '35 and '36 Fords.