Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley Electric Fuel Pump/ Pressure Regulator Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buzzard, Sep 24, 2004.

1. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I put a Holley "Red" pump on before I went to Piston and Paint. Engine ran great there and back. I was planning on putting a regulator on to make sure I'm not flooding the carbs. And because my heros BIG RIC and Bass have 'em.

Here's my questions. Do I need a regulator with the Holley? The blurb on Speedway say "no regulator needed". Is it adjustable?

Also, if the pump is putting out 7 PSI, and then splits to 2 carbs, doesn't the pressure reduce? Is there a way to determine how much, without running 2 guages?

I just need to go really fast.

2. Scotch

Scotch

Should be fine, however...

I'd tap that split between carbs for a little gauge to make sure. If you've got teh right pressure at the split, and it maintains correct steady pressure throughout the rpm range, you'll be cool.

I ran a red pump setup for years without a regulator, but it was mounted in the back of a '63 Polara and it was feeding a dual-quad 440. I had a little (1/8 NPT) gauge in the split to keep an eye on it.

I'd recommend you do the same.

It looks cool too.

Scotch~!

3. squirrel

squirrel

The Red pump has a built in regulator. The almost identical Blue pump does not have the regluator in it, so you need an external regulator with the blue pump.

I don't know for sure if the red one is adjustable...been awhile since I've looked at one of those pumps. I think it's fixed pressure, though.

Pressure in a plumbing system is even throughout the system. No, the pressure does not reduce if you split to two carbs, and yes, one gage will tell you how much pressure there is at both carbs.

As long as this isn't some wild blown big block, you should be fine with that pump. Hopefully the pump is mounted near the tank, down below the fuel level, and has a screen type filter before it and a good filter after.

4. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Thanks guys. The pump is in the back. I just didn't see how it would be adjustable. The engine is a 327, with some cam and dual 4's. Nothing too wild. Like I said, it made the 4 hr. drive to Dallas, around town, and back just fine. I think I just put a guage on it and call it good.

5. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

<font color="green"> Buzz,

Summit sells a little gauge with a machine turned face.

Pretty cheap and pretty cool looking. Can be had with a fitting coming out the bottom or out the back.

I am getting ready to put a Carter pump, ACDELCO can filter and a Holley reg on the 41 and plan on using one of these gauges. </font>

6. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

[​IMG]

sum-800215 back fitting only, I lied.

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

what carbs?

7 psi is too much for some.

I ran the red Holley without a regulator feeding two Edelbrocks (Edelbrock actually recomends only 5 psi) for years without problems.

but it was way too much pressure for the four 2GCs.

Paul

8. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Thanks for the guage tip, Rashy. That one looks cool.

60's... 2 Edelbrocks 500's. I think it said 6psi. That's why I was wondering if the psi dropped when the lines went from 1 to 2.

9. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I don't guess it's a problem if you didn't see anything wrong with it during your trip last weekend. Since you have an electric pump, I'd say that your pressure is going to stay pretty much constant....and 6 PSI is probably close enough to get away with it.

FWIW, I've got my regulator set at just over 4.5 PSI, Big Ric said he has his set at 5 PSI.

I think 4.5 PSI is what the manual that came with my Edelbrock carbs recommended.

10. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't guess it's a problem if you didn't see anything wrong with it during your trip last weekend. Since you have an electric pump, I'd say that your pressure is going to stay pretty much constant....and 6 PSI is probably close enough to get away with it.

FWIW, I've got my regulator set at just over 4.5 PSI, Big Ric said he has his set at 5 PSI.

I think 4.5 PSI is what the manual that came with my Edelbrock carbs recommended.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="green">I think this may be the problem I have with the 41.

The pressure is at 7, the lowest my reg would go and the Eddie says it likes 6.

I figured it was close enough and did work for a while, now fuel pours out of the carb and floods her out.

Going to fix that crap this weekend, maybe. </font>

11. krupanut

krupanut

Buzz, do you have the Regulator already? I say go ahead and use it if you do.

The PSI is constant in a pressurized fluid system. The flow can vary. Two different things.

12. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

You're just trying to cornfuse me into going slower! [​IMG]

13. born2late

born2late

I ran into a problem with my Holley carb and pump with no regulator. Pump output was supposed to be 7 psi. Worked ok unitl the needle and seat wore a little and then it would flood. Additives in todays gas play hell with needle and seats. Put a reg on it and set to 5 psi--good to go. I would rig up a reg., set it and forget it.

14. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="green">As the dudes say...

Your pressure will remain the same, it's the VOLUME that will change.

If you have two carbs needing 6 pounds of pressure and 30 g.p.m. at full throttle, then you will need a pump that can deliver, or be regulated to the six pounds and deliver at least 60 g.p.m.

This is the trouble I had with the 41 at HAMBdrags last year.

My POS pump can push more pressure than I need but can only flow 30 g.p.m.

I would hit the 1/8 mile and then starve, the car still ran because the pump could flow enough to keep it alive, just not enough to keep it at full throttle once the bowl ran dry.

Does this make sense?
    I really have little idea what I'm talking about. </font>

15. krupanut

krupanut

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Does this make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a hard one to explain aint it.
    I work with this shit everyday at my "real" job.
    Trying to explain it to "engineers" makes my head hurt.
    The worst thing this week was trying to convince Mr. pompous ass semi-conductor technician that there are no torque specs for a compression fitting. [​IMG]
    Man, it's been a long week, come on 5 o’clock!
    [​IMG]

16. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Does this make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a hard one to explain aint it.
    I work with this shit everyday at my "real" job.
    Trying to explain it to "engineers" makes my head hurt.
    The worst thing this week was trying to convince Mr. pompous ass semi-conductor technician that there are no torque specs for a compression fitting. [​IMG]
    Man, it's been a long week, come on 5 o’clock!
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">Have you ever tried talking someone through installing a Swagelok or Lenz fitting?

Just shoot me. </font>

17. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

You need help being cornfused?!? [​IMG]

Drink a buttery nipple, then fix yer rod. [​IMG]