Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Geoff Miles & Steve Coonan: ROADTRIP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, the "Route 66" motel, no less.......

2. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that's way cool!

3. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Would you call that a Tarmac Queen:rolleyes:!

4. mcload

mcload

Outstanding! What a blast! Got a wife and a couple kids at the house?, you can fugettaboutta a trip like this. I never got the chance to do the Route 66 trip like I wanted. Only thing I would have done different is wrap up that engine in plastic.

Good Luck guys!

5. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

That picture cracks me up, the first time I met Geoff was in a bar several years ago on the east coast.

6. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

What are the odds??? ;)

7. VonZacho

VonZacho
    from napa, ca

super manly!!!!!!

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, but where's the body?

9. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

So, is there any tech on fabricating to flat tow behind your truck or what?how would one go about making something like this safely? any plans on here.

10. Don't get me wrong ... I love Steve's highboy (last year I picked it for my father's Best Bitchin' Memorial Award @ GG's West Coast Nats) ... and DRIVING your hot rod across country is really what this hobby of ours is all about ... but I don't really see the point of towing a chassis (albeit a very cool chassis) across country.

Then again, maybe I don't get it because I'm just not as crazy as Steve & Geoff ... like Ryan states: {they} got a crazy idea. For no rational reason, they decided to flat tow Geoff's '32 chassis behind Steve's '32 roadster ...

Or maybe there was a somewhat rational reason ... maybe TRJ wanted something cool to put in their booth at the Louisville Nats? ... and since Steve's road trip last year was great fodder for more than one magazine article, perhaps he felt compelled to one-up himself?

Anyway, this thread reminded me of the "Flat towing, yes or no?" thread from last month ... where I posted THIS ... and hotroddon posted THIS.

Safe journeys to Steve and Geoff!...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  11. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

This possibly one of the best photos on the HAMB in a looooonng time.

[​IMG]

Good luck guys, see you in L'Ville.

Vance

12. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Thats goddamn funny and I love it.

13. Spike!

Spike!

I remember the good old days when they both talked to me..now...nothing. Glad to see they're both up to no good. They both rule.

Spike

14. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

That is so cool! I am not really sure why maybe because it just looks cool and would be an adventure?
    It would be funny to get a pic of that in a NAPA or autozone right in front of the don't work on your car in the parking lot sign. The looks on peoples faces would be priceless.

15. autobilly

autobilly

That's pretty funny!

16. Babyearl

Babyearl

I was brought up believing that Getting there is half the fun,,Getting back is the other half. That has got to be a blast.

17. Flippin' sweet! I can't believe nobody would help them rig a tow bar...

18. What would be great to see is if they bolted in a old bench seat in its 'regular' spot, and strapped a esky to one side.... now think of the 'conversation opportunities' that you could get with that...especially if they sat a 'dummy' in there on the highway....for that matter (put on 'stupid' hat), I'd sit there for a little along the trip just to take a few photo's of peoples faces as they passed you by...
    :rolleyes:;):D

Cheers,

Drewfus

P.S. Caddy engines with 2x2's are the new flat black...:)

19. Deadender60

Deadender60

"And absolutely no one in NorCal was willing to help the two with a tow bar set up"

ABSOLUTELY NO ONE?
    I wonder if they asked the right people... Cause I can think of more than a handful of good folks here in Nor-Cal that would help with a tow bar if I asked.

Looks like an awesome trip..
    Post more pics when you get em!

-Juan

20. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

The towed car is licenced (see photos)

The idea was to do it like the "lakes days" and Steve wants to show all the Street Rodder "gold chainers" (not my favoite term) that young guys are capable and interested in building highly detailed and superbly built traditional rods. The body is off for paint (yeah) so it seemed perfect to show off the chassis details in the RJ booth. I would love to see them blasting across the country in that set-up!

A lot of you guys slam the "Street Rod" scene, so be glad that Steve and Geoff are takin' real rodding back to the "lawn chair" crowd!

21. This is marketing brilliance! When you look at all the road trips that have been covered over the years in various magazines this one will go down as one of the memorable ones. Its outside the square thinking, its insane and I am sure that people wont be able to work it out but then I say "Why not?"
    Imagine the stories that Steve and Geoff will have on this road trip? Imagine the stories and memories that the people that they visit will have! Its freakin classic!
    Imagine going down the freeway and being passed by this roadshow!???!
    I remember meeting Geoff at Squeaks one year - what a cool guy! Steve, you have one bitchin ride and your work is brilliant!
    Looking forward to seeing this Road Trip in TRJ

22. I think its been so long since Steve has had his own hot rod that he will use any excuse to drive it! Its probably the best way to get both vehicles there since I don't believe I've ever seen a "Rodders Journal" semi at any of these events.......

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  23. squash

squash

Can you jusst see this thing bombin down the interstate next to ya!!! thats just bitchin!! I'll see ya there!

24. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

sooo why exactly is a bare chassis being trailered to L'ville and back...i dont get it ?

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just cuz they can... And that's good enough!

26. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

You know if I got a call from Jeff, I woulda , I sat with him, said sure it would make it.. F!@~#!@ it! Roll it! He never mentioned he needed a tow bar, sounded like they had it handled

27. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

I love crazy car guys.

:D

-W

28. L.A.-Bar

L.A.-Bar
    from Lforida

As that idiot with the TV show would say....."They must be..............Car Crazy !"

29. texastramp

texastramp

So why exactly do they really need a reason other than just wanting to do it!!! Sometimes that reasoning thing can really get in the way of some cool shit and this deal is "Way Cool"!!!

30. Maybe the body will get swapped at the nats and then they will tow the other frame home... Trolling for lunkers with different bait

SPOSE THEY CAN HAUL A LITTLE MORE GAS THIS WAY TOO

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008