Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TRANSMISSION, B&M Hydro stick installation instructions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by backyardbeliever, Nov 9, 2006.

1. brandon

brandon

heres a close up of the quick release....appears to be a cam motion style lock...it was a additional 45 bucks with tranny purchase.....kit form .....a mere 40 bucks......lol phone number is 312-476-7900 who knows.....may be someone still there.......stranger things have happened.......brandon

Attached Files:

2. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

SHIT.....now i have another item on my christmas list. Man my wish list is becoming a novel...HAHAHAaa..thanks for the close up any other cool interesting pages in that catalog you caused a stir with that last one...thanks man thats the good stuff we want to see here...good job

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

great thread,
    thanks for the pictures,
    very cool- and useful!

here's a couple of my Hydro in stock? form
    on one of my spare motors..
    with the Drag Fast shifter
    similar to the B&M
    also shown here, pic courtesy the HAMB
    this shifter was meant to bolt to a transmission that was rotated,
    Chevy truck style?
    it will have to be altered to work on this setup and could definately use a detent plate like in the lead photos in this thread

Attached Files:

4. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I'm not sure if you'd be able to operate it quickly enough at the top end of the track for that. But it would certainly be used when towing your race car back to the pits after a run. Otherwise, from what I understand, you'd have to disconnect the driveshaft to be able to tow the car back without burning something up. Something about the oil pump not turning while other parts are. I'm guessing this is peculiar to the early Hydro's. Any old tow-truck drivers around that can comment on this?

5. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

That one pic looks like a flat-pan shifter mounted to a slant-pan, possibly.

6. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

you guys find the coolest shit!!! DAMN YOU ALLL!!!!! GRRR! LOL!!!!

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yes,
    I guess that would be more accurate,
    it's the slant pan that is rotated, like mine.
    and the flat pan has the bellhousing bolts level, like the B&M catalog picture there
    which my shifter was designed to fit.

8. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

Rather than modify that beautiful shifter. Just get yourself a 52-54 cadillac bellhousing and it will mount your slant pan level then your done. If your gonna keep it with the olds of course. look at the B&M instructions i posted and it will tell you about how to do your fulid level and dip stick mod to make it read right. OH yea you need a "flat pan" shift arm too. i think i have extras And earlier year cad bellhousings might work too but im still figuring that one out

Attached Files:

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

editor's note;

a copy of this thread has been saved to the Tech Archives

if and when more of this great info is added to the original thread here,
    the Tech copy will be updated.

thanks!!

Paul

10. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i guess this is as good a place as any to post this;these are the tools you need to work on hydra-matic transmissions.
    from top to bottom
    1.band adjuster wrench
    2.rear servo guage
    3.front servo guage
    4.throttle lever guage

Attached Files:

11. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

There are a lot more tools than that! I think I have possibly 50 different ones. I've picked them up by buying out whole toolsets, as well as individually by keeping my eye peeled. I use the old tool manuals and factory shop manuals to I.D. them. But I don't know how many of these tools are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY and how many are just nice to have to make a job go easier.

12. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

Attached Files:

13. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

14. martin

martin

I have, maybe a bit of B & M history,
    i draged a 55, 331 motor and trans from a swap meet in the States
    a couple of years ago, got it back home, re-built the motor.
    but dont know about the trans, thinking if it goes it goes.
    if not, ditch it as it`s to much money to re-build down here.
    but the trans has a bracket on the rear of it, for the shifter ?
    and has B & M Automotive , in raised letering on it. aloy cast.
    dont have a camera at this time,but hope to,in the next week or two.
    good post, im in on this,
    Martin.

15. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

Does it look like this one?

Attached Files:

16. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

The bracket will look like that. The shift lever itself could be different. Might or might not have the detent plate, too. B&M had several shifters in their catalog.

17. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Was this a Chrysler hemi 331?

Does the transmission have an actual "B&M" tag on the side of the case?

18. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

In my assorted collection of interesting crap, I have a B & M 'Big Stick' shifter with a 'bench seat' lever but no lock out plate. I sold a similar shifter to a guy in Mass a few years back for his blown 394 powered 1950 Olds.
    I also sold a friend a shifter that looks very similar to the DragFast unit on this post. I still have some twisted/welded remnants of one more.
    But one of the coolest I have is an original Hurst 'HydroGate'. It has a positive detent for each gear similar to the B & M style shown but a little more refined.
    I'll try to post some pics if I can figure out this new camera.

19. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Definitely interested to see that.

20. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

The hurst hydrogate is a very nice shifter i had a line on a nos one but the guy who had it that "promised" it to me for a healthy price of $400 ouch!!! i was gonna pick it up . Then he called me and said he HAD to sell it to another guy cause he offered him $2500 for it .Yes folks $2500 man i hate when people cant keep their word. And i thought $400 was too much. supply and demand sucks sometimes or i guess im just a broke dick. I like my B&M one more than enough so fuk it.

21. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

well im working on getting some new clutches for the hydros I am building up. These are the high quality waffle pattern FLAT clutches used for "beefing" the clutch packs. They come in a case Qty of 250 but of course i am working on getting a smaller Qty cause 250 is WAY too many. My point is Does anybody want any? I know few people build their own. But i thought i would ask

22. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I would be interested in some Kevlar clutches. I've thought about having some made by the same place that does the red alto eagle racing clutch plates, but just haven't gotten around to that yet.

23. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

What really is the advantage of kevlar is it a heat or extended life thing , just curious. I know its tuff stuff but does it have a specific purpose in automatics?

24. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Life expectancy under high-pressure, high-heat use, I would guess. Why else would racing transmissions use them?

25. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

well i just picked up an intersting hydro yesterday. Its out of a Cad flathead powered Sherman tank. I think its note worthy for at least one reason so far. It has a heat exchanger intergrated in the CAST IRON !! fluid pan that uses engine coolant to cool the trans fluid. Its pretty cool lookin (no pun intended) But any of you hydro guys that might intersted in what is different about the TANK HYDRO'S i will post some pics soon of what i find to be different. When i begin my "Mad Scientist"disection. Im not gonna let this thread die. more to come

26. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

THAT is a very, very RARE tranny core. Do NOT take it apart until you know how to put one back together again. A military collector hinted to me that the tranny core should be worth really big money to a collector that needs one. This was from a guy that operates a military machine museum...

I only know of one other in the hands of another hydro guy I know. He took it apart and knows all the little differences... but I can't get any info out of him, I don't think. I suspect you'll find brass clutch plates in addition to the cooler, but I would be VERY, VERY interested to know what you actually find! But please take special care in how you disassemble it!!

Do you have other stock hydro's that you can take apart and compare each component to side-by-side? (not that there aren't lots of differences in the different passenger car hydro's)

Pics?

I also have lots of tranny cores and crates full of loose hydro parts. I would love to take part in an info-sharing session, but it will sadly have to wait for a while. I'm pursuing a career change with my wife and all my stuff is packed away in storage at this time.

27. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I guess I should mention that I once saw another very interesting, heavy-duty Hydro in a junkyard, but sadly I was unable to retrieve it. I seem to recall it as having cooler lines in the bottom too, but I think the pan was stamped steel and not cast iron.

It was transverse-mounted in the back of an early '50's GMC bus with a straight-6 GMC engine. RARE

I wish I could have retrieved it before the bus got crushed... :(

28. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Do you know exactly what type clutches these are? As in the composition?

29. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

are those the Dyna-Flow clutches? :confused:

30. I too have been looking for a Hurst Hydrogate for 30 years. Just found out something interesting about them; last week a new, never been out of the box one was on ebaY for a reserve proce. I bid $200 but didn't break the reserve. I conversed w/ the seller who was the son of the owner of S&S speed shop who sponsored many of the legendary gassers in the 60s, including K.S. Pittman. He claims that Hurst only made 6 prototypes of the shifter and S&S got all 6! Thus if you do get one it will cost a bundle and will have to likely come from one source.