Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thermostats vs. Restrictor plates vs. By Pass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by antichrysler, Mar 2, 2004.

1. antichrysler

antichrysler

I'm dealing with bit of a cooling situation. I don't want to run a by-pass for the pump when the Roadster is warming-up. It would clutter up the look of the engine more than it already is.

I think I have two options:

1. Run a restrictor plate: Cost is $7.95. The effectiveness is questionable.

2. I could drill some holes in the thermostat. Cost is $0.00, but I'm not sure what size holes to drill, or the effects.

Please let me know what you think is the best way to go. However not running some kind of restriction to slow the flow through the radiator isn't an option.

2. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

start with a #30 drill bit(1/8),and go from there.try two holes to begin with(180 degrees apart),and step up your holes from there to achieve desired results.
    later

3. antichrysler

antichrysler

Thanks for the advice.

It sounds like you've done this before. did it work-out well?

4. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

yup.
    when you step up the hole(s) if needed,go to a #21 next(5/32),one hole at a time and test it again.
    if you need more holes,start with#30's again,except this time out go 90 degrees from where the other holes are,so as not to compromise the strength (too much)of the thermostat flange.
    hope this helps ya' out!
    later