Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any 49-54 Hudson Gurus? Got some questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dakota, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

I just picked up a 53 Super Wasp coupe... It needs a rear window.

Are these the same body as the hornet? Is the rear window Coupe only?

its a cool car, its the the bigger 6, not the 308... 3spd/OD was all black...

You just dont see the coupes often.

Always had a thing for the Step down hudsons.. My sons name is Hudson (not because of the car) and i picked it up for a future Father/Son Project..

2. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I believe it is, the only difference would be the fenders on a wasp vs hornet model. I believe I have the window glass you need too

3. Ramblur

Ramblur

4. diamond jeff

diamond jeff
    from montana

Same body from cowl back. Wasp models had shorter wheelbase,thus shorter front clip. The 308 was the biggest 6. Dad used to race 'em in Hibbing MN.

5. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

ImageUploadedByTJJ1348086408.680981.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

ImageUploadedByTJJ1348086537.430803.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Ditto - same window, bodies are the same from the cowl back. Wasp was the short wheelbase.

Studhud built his amazing custom out of a 53 wasp. Mine's a 49 Super.

8. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

is the 308 a bolt in? i have a line on a 308 and a twin H setup...

9. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Cool...cool...cool. Nice find.

10. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Essentially yes.

11. The possible engines would've been a 232, 262, or the 308. If it is a 308, it is immediately noticeable by a cast-in raised ridge on the driver's side of the block, approximately 1" above where the pan meets the block, and it runs the entire length of the block. Some 308 engines will have a 262 head, which raised the compression.

12. Gigantor

Gigantor

That is a SWEET find. Damn.

13. Ramblur

Ramblur

Here's the ridge that Patrick66 speaks of:
    [​IMG]

14. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Great Info, im pretty sure the engine in mine is a 262 because i dont think they offered the 308 In the Wasp.

mine is a the 3speed w/OD so it will be staying that way. Since i think the supply of Hudsonite is limited i heard that there is someone making a kit to cinvert it to a dry clutch.

The plans for the car are pretty much stock, Hop up a 308 a little and get a Twin H for it. Keep it low and thats about it...

15. Should be all it needs...except for a new black suede paint job, of course!

16. Ramblur

Ramblur

I'd advise not to swap away from the wet clutch. Plenty of fresh Hudsonite alternatives out here or like me just ATF and regular changes. You may run into a problem with it being stuck from sitting so long,but just take your time and follow the procedures outlined on the forum I linked above or
    give Dr Doug a call and have him walk you through it.
    http://wildrickrestoration.com/home.php

I love my wet clutch/cork disk and the big 308's are known to twist input
    shafts with 'hard' use. They are silky smooth.

17. The Hudson wet clutch is one of the best clutches ever designed! In fact, most HD forklifts and other industrial vehicles use wet clutches. They are as smooth as can be, compared to a dry clutch. Ramblur is absolutely right. Doug Wildrick is the Hudson clutch guru, and has been selling them for many years.

Hudsonite is not expensive, and easy to get through the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club. Taking a few minutes to maintain your wet cork clutch is a hell of a lot cheaper than sourcing a "conversion" that'll be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

18. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

That thing is beautiful. I'm in love!

19. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

nice lookin hudson! just finished installing a wildrick pressure plate & clutch cross shaft kit. highly recomend them as well.

20. PackardV8

PackardV8

You'll have fun with that build.

X4 - stay with the wet clutch. It's the best ever designed.

jack vines

21. Window you need is 50-54 only, 48-49 are smaller.

There is a chance that window is shared with other body styles, though - anyone have a glass book handy? It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was the same as the sedans.

22. vetteson

vetteson

Be careful of what 308 you buy, diferent years had different flanges on the crankshaft, one for stick, one for auto; '55-'56 flanges, I believe, were the same for both, and '55-'56 best blocks because of several upgrades. Wet clutch is very popular with hudson guys but requires routine maintenance, especially if the car sits for a long time. If you plan on driving it a lot, swap the rear gears for something less than 4.55. I went through the expensive and drawn out process of switching to a T5 5 speed, 10.5 GM clutch, and 3.91 gears. Worth all the headaches and frustrations. Drives great at 50+ at 2000 rpm.

23. diamond jeff

diamond jeff
    from montana

Back window needs to be 52-54 wasp,super wasp, or hornet. 48-49 too small. 50 wide at top and 2 piece, 51 wide at top 1 piece.

24. Enjoy your '53 Super Wasp. I put 120,000 miles on my very mild custom.

Attached Files:

25. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Great info on the clutch, I dont think i will be swapping it after reading more about it.

the 308 i know about i believe is a 55 or 56...

Is there anything else i should know about the 308? what is normally done for them?

what is the deal with the stock aluminum head ive seen, are those better?

26. The 1956 308 is the only Hudson 6 with hydraulic lifters. It was designed that way, due to the PITA procedure adjusting the lifters in the newly-designed 1955 cars was, which continued with solids. If it is a '55 engine, it is likely the valves were never adjusted! The room in the '55 engine compartment was less than the Stepdown cars, and no provision was made in the wheelhouse for access to the lifters, like in earlier Hudsons. So, you'll very likely have a low-mileage '55 engine that never had the valves adjusted!

A 262 head is ideal for the 308, as that increases compression a bit. If you can find Clifford or Offy speed parts, such as headers, intake (2-2-bbl or single 4-bbl), head, and other parts, you can make the already-strong 308 a real screamer. Vintage stock and aftermarket aluminum heads need to be checked for warpage and cracking.

27. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

56 only for hydraulic lifters... interesting. well i guess i will just have to find that one... Evidentally its has to be one that fits the crank flange for my tranny?

28. mattmartin

mattmartin

very cool car man! i just got a hudson too, but mine is what they call a "hash." it's a '55, after hudson got bought by AMC

29. Should say 262 on the head up front by the thermostat housing. At least mine says 232 there. I'm not sure ih they ever stopped doing that at some point on the flatties.