Register now to get rid of these ads!

What body filler are you guys using?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ken1939

ken1939

usc clear coat

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

OK, another preference question. Plastic spreaders or the spring steel ones? I like the steel ones but I have both.

3. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Plastic by far. And invest in a few mixing boards, they really are worth it.

5. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I use my old windshield glass for a mixing board.
    You can use a scraper on it & easily get it back down to the glass so you always mix on a clean surface.

6. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

rage is good but costs alot if you are useing alot 40 50 bucks a can can hurt i use evercoats z grip its about 25 bucks a gallon and when they run it on sale i buy it buy the case for 60 bucks id put it up next to rage any day its made by the same company ...

rage can go over galvanized ..but to me dont have very good build

morrison is a good final filler super smooth and sands like a dream ..

smartshoppers is the cheapest place for rage filler ..

7. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Try the eastwood lead kit...once you ge the hang of it you will never go back!

8. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

10. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Another z-grip user, I also use duraglas here and there under the z-grip

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

You guys will think im crazy but i shop at a national store here in town they dropped their bondo line and replaced it with cargroom its a light weight easy sanding filler . Ive used the entire product line fiberglass long and short strand nice to work with . Hope it holds up. Iget a good deal way cheaper than the name brands.. carcrazyjohn

12. eric15739

eric15739
    from Detroit

I have been working at a body shop for some years and when they came out with the light weight fillers all brands were better than what we had been using. After going through many brands all of the body guys seem to like shark bite ultra premium filler including myself. It sands easer and doesn’t get on the paper. If you’re finishing it off with 80 grit you can then sand the filler down easy with 150 eliminating the need of a glaze coat to get rid of the 80 grit sanding scratches. This saves on time and materials.

13. Glen

Glen

My guys switched from Rage to Platinum about two years ago. I dont care which they use the price is close enough.....

We got some samples of U-pol's new fillers last month and they seem to like the filler and icing product.

14. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Like the Rage. Rage gold is good too. Not a fan of marson platinum. Personal preference. I use steel speaders, plastic ones for heavy curves. I also use evercoat Metal Glaze for light work and pinholes. You can pm anytime if you have any questions.

15. Itsa48Ford

Itsa48Ford

I have used both and found the regular rage is great, the extream not worth the extra price

16. layedout49

layedout49

there are alot of options imo . i started with platinum and platinum plus. they are great. lately ive been using the rage gold. works about the same or is comparable to plat. plus.

using honey or a plastic thinner also helps even the harder fillers like z grip or other brands.

the x grip from dynatron(i think) is cheap and looks and sands kinda the same as rage gold and plat. plus

another thing is mixing glaze and filler. helps sometimes. . . sorry lot of info but . .

i dont like using 36 or 40 unless its on a huge area and alot of filler is spread. i do most work starting at at 80, then 120 then 180 and prime

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  17. 39 Ford

39 Ford

18. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

19. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

wow. Im really surprised at the lack of marson platinum users. Its kinda hard to find ive noticed. thats what we use in the shop i started in. I used it before but then couldnt get it thru my supplier anymore. At the old shop id use Evercoat lightweight...14dollar a gallon shit, 36 grit to rough it in then id go over with the rage extreme. I liked the extreme because if you mix it right on your board you wont get pinholes and it sands awesome. The problem i had with the rage is that it doesnt want to stick on a vertical surface if you have to do a little thicker say over an eighth inch thick, which is still plenty, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do right? But in all honesty, i was a firm rage guy till i tried marson, i dare anyone here to use it. Bang for the buck its awesome, i dont even think its over 20 a gallon. It sands about like rage but as soon as you squeez your filler in tight then go over it, it likes to hold the side better. And for the plastic vs metal. each has their place in my book. And you can go over the sanded paint with the marson which imo helps alot with feathering the filler alot. The end.

20. Rage Gold. Nothing less. Dont sell yourself short. Use the best products; your only looking at $10-$15 per gallon more. ITS WORTH IT.

21. Oldsmopile

Oldsmopile

What he said. That is an excellent combo, been using it for a long time. Another alternative if you have a Keystone (used to be Nordan) supplier around. All there "Keystone" fillers are made by evercoat. Its good stuff for a little less money.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

So explain the icing product Glen.

23. Glen

Glen

Sorry, its the product used after filler, it is thin like cake icing, easy to spread and helps blend out the filler, fill pin holes etc. Evercoat makes one called metal glaze and one called easy sand either will work, it helps you feather out the filler, especially if you are new to the game, you can get really close with filler then add a skim coat of the metal glaze which is thinner and easier to spread. Most of it ends up in the floor after sanding.

top it off with a high build surfacer primer and you can block it nice and straight.

Rage seems like it is the most popular, you wont be dissapointed.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  24. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

I've used both, and they are great fillers. I've never had any problems with them. Z-Grip is my everyday filler and Rage is for the high-end customers. For those hot Texas summer days add a little fiberglass resin to your filler, about 10:1. It will not change the way it sands, but will extend the spread time.

-Saint

25. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

WHAT!!! :eek: $10-$15 per gallon!!!!! Here in houston, I'm paying $22 per gallon for Z-Grip and $40-$50 per gallon for the Rage products and I'm getting the best prices in town. Maybe, I need to order it online. :confused:

-Saint

26. BenW455

BenW455

Another vote for rage gold.

27. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

Ive used rage gold. It works great real easy to work. Been usning that product for my cadillac and the truck im currently doing, good stuff.

28. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Here is a test to consider,

mix up a couple cups of filller and let them dry, check which shrinks most, then consider that a filler will tend to set up a little bit more even after you get paint on the car.

29. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I don't know if you know this or not, but usually when you make a mistake as dumb as that, you keep it to yourself. Food for thought.

30. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I either get it from my local paint supply if I'm in a pinch, tcpglobal.com, or smartshoppersinc.com.

They are all so close in price that it ends up not mattering in the end. Even if I get it locally, the price ends up being close to the internet price with shipping. Chain stores really won't have it, its a little higher end.