Register now to get rid of these ads!

It was like flying... (Lots of Pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Jun 20, 2008.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

No wait, it was FLYING!!!!! A couple weeks ago I was invited to Cherry Point Marine Corps. Air base as media for their Air Show that weekend. I attended thursday when most of the air craft were just starting to come in. Unfortunately I did not get pics of that actual air show that went on from Friday-Sunday. I did however get some pics of the ride in a T-28 aircraft that they invited me to go on.

[​IMG]

I got to the coast at about 11:00am on Thursday. My flight was scheduled for 12:30pm bus was delayed a couple hours because the Blue Angels were running practice runs before we went up. I did not mind at all.

[​IMG]

As the Blue Angels landed we were already on the strip suiting up for our ride. I took a couple detailed pics of the T-28 basically for construction inspiration. When I was contacted originally, they had asked if I wanted a rind in a Bi-Plane, a WWII plane, or a fighter jet. Even thought I knew the jet would be sweet, the history of the WWII plane really drew me in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The group of pilots that took us up were from the Trojan Horseman. They are a group of retired vietnam vets that actually own the planes and fly them to all the shows from their home town. The T-28 is not a WWII plane as described but was developed directly after the war. It would go on to run the Napalm runs in VietNam like in the movie Flight Of The Intruder. Oh did I mention it's currently 105º when we started to suit up?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alright, I am suited and strapped in and waiting for take off. I am pretty much happier then a pig in shit right now. The cockpit is open until we start taking off. When we start to accelerate I notice that all three planes are taking off at once so I start taking pictures like crazy!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Landing gear is retracted and we are flying!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were flying over the ocean at this point and the dropped out of the sky with out me knowing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Thats really cool man. That must have been an awsome experience.Those pics are very cool.

4. You are one lucky SOB..

I'm sure few words can describe the experience!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I almost threw up the first time but luckily I manned up and kept the pilot clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After about twenty minutes I put my camera down until landing. I tried to enjoy the remaining twenty minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Landing passed the Blue Angels.

[​IMG]

Landed safely and loved every minute of it. The reason that I am posting besides the obvious reasons is because I want to urge everyone to go to an Air Show if it's near. These are truly a treasure that we need to keep supporting. Thanks to the US Marines for letting a hoodlum on the base and to the Trojan Horsemen for taking me on an unforgettable ride.

6. DAMN!!!!! that looks like a good time......but you need to get back in that garage.....a few chev's are calling your name...hahaa

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh please don't bring up the lack of work going on in my garage. It's really depressing! New goal, May '09!!!!:mad:

8. wow, that must have been great!

as a kid my uncle took me for a ride in one of his friends open cockpit ww2 trainer. what an amazing feeling

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It really was a lot cooler then I thought it was going to be. I headed up there cool as a cucumber but when we started to take off I was screaming over the intercom "THIS IS SO FUCKING COOL!"

10. Those are killer pics man.That would be a tough decision on what to ride in.

11. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

wow, the history behind some of those planes has to be amazing

12. im really starting to not like you very much! you lucky bastard:D bitchin pics!!

13. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

thats fuckin awesome dude

14. Don't set a goal.......enjoy building them.....when there done, there done, then enjoy the time spent building them by driving them, although i'm just giving you shit!!!!

15. [​IMG]
    haha:D

16. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Nice Ride -------Should have gone for the fighter Jet!

Gary

17. He might not have brought a change of drawers for that ride!!

18. YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding that is something that I have wanted todo my entire life. I hope to get the chance someday and I am taking a video camera with me when I do.

19. BadLuck

BadLuck

How cool...what an awesome opportunity..:)

20. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Outstanding pics you lucky bastard!

21. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Lucky FUCKER, I think I'd PEE meself with excitment if it were me!!!!

22. Dirty2

Dirty2

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Beautiful, thanks a lot.

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Awesome experience I'm sure...

My left testicle is waiting as payment for a ride in a jet...

R-

25. gtharp

gtharp

Fantastic formation shots!! I'm an aviation nut as well as hot rods. I volunteer @ Lone Star Flt Museum in Galveston, Tx. You should get a ride on a B17 or B25 someday, for an experience you'll never forget.

GT
    Houston, Tx

26. Appleseed

Appleseed

The T-28 celebrates it's 60th anniversary this year. They had shit loads of them at Oshkosh. They kind of sound like big Harleys, don't they?

27. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

For 200k to buy a T-28 and about 50 Gallons Per Hour on gas, you too can have one hell of a time! If you're smart though, you'd STAY AWAY FROM AIRPLANES!!!! They are just as addicting as hot rods!!! I took a ride in one and ended up with a pilots licensee not too long after.

All kidding aside, flying is indescribably awesome. I recommend EVERYONE take a ride in a small plane, you'll have the time of your life.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

28. I've been up in a few planes,but nothing as cool as that! I'd like to go up in an old one someday...

29. Toner283

Toner283

that is freaking COOOL!!

30. lolife

lolife

My first base in the USAF had T-28's. They were used to train Vietnamese pilots. I loved seeing those guys flying around all day, but when the Thunderbirds came in with a bunch of F-4's for a show, I surrendered to noise... I still like seeing the T-28 though, as it is a beautiful airplane.