Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help for welding burn, tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, May 19, 2004.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I burned my fingering hand bad on Monday when I grabbed a hot piece of metal welding some shelves. Yeah I know I shoulda worn my brand new gloves but it's too late. Anyway it blistered so bad that I couldn't sleep from the throbbing pain. I punctured the blister Tuesday morning to relieve the pressure but it still hurts like hell.
    I've got a gig on Friday night and practice tonight. The burn is on the inside of the finger that I do most of my playing with.
    Do you guys have any tips to speed along the healing process?
    I know this is a dumb question but I'm sure you doofuses burn yerselves on a regular basis too.

Thanks.

2. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

too late now, but next time leave the blister intact. run cool water over the burn for 10-15 minutes, apply gunk from a broken aloe leaf/stem

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

when ever i do something dumb like that i cut the blister off with a razor blade put some anti-infection cream and wrap with some electrical tape and go back to work. it seems to work

bobss396 and topher5150 like this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You shouldn't have broken the blister. It is natures way of preventing infection. At this point, to allow it to heal quickly soak it in a laundry diaper soap called Dreft.
    I was instructed to use it by a doctor when I had a 3rd degree burn and it wouldn't heal for three months. The Dreft did the job and the burned healed rapidly.
    In order to use it on your gig... The only thing I can think of is the spray bandage that will harden over the area.
    Other than that good..drugs,alcohol or maybe even sex will take your mind off of it. I thought at first it was your eyes and I had a good remedy for that. The eyes heal very quickly. Where's your Gloves young man?

5. yea, the cold water seems to work best.

I like popping blisters as much as the next guy... but from experience, I know that leaving them in-tact and running them under cold water right after getting them is about the best thing.

If done correctly, you'l end up with a nice layer of dead skin... which might actually help you play better. [​IMG]
    Sam.

6. lownslow

lownslow

i hope its not your wankin hand. [​IMG] [​IMG]......dude keep it clean and put some aloe vera on it ...it will heal much faster

7. Antibilly

Antibilly

P Nut butter seems to make me feel better [​IMG]

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Oh well, I guess mistake number one was popping it.
    Funny thing is I had my gloves on as I was welding the shelves but i burned myself after I took them off and was 'examining' my handiwork.
    BTW, these are the wonkiest pieces of shit shelves you've ever seen. It's a good thing they're going in my kid's room.

Your tips have been duly recorded for the next burn, which I expect will happen in the next week or so.

And Donnie, this is not my wanking hand.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Nads.....I know you are somewhere in FL.....soak that puppy in the Ocean. NOTHING will heal it faster!!! (IMHO)

10. DrJ

DrJ

They make thimbles to protect injured fingers maybe you can get one, and maybe it will work )and maybe a novicaine shot before the gig, from your local Curandero?).

11. Machinos

Machinos

My dad's played keyboards forever, and whenever he screwed up his fingers he'd wrap them in masking tape. That might not work for guitar, but maybe...

And use neosporin on it, LOTS of neosporin. It'll be gone in no time.

12. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nads - An ice pack or even a bowl of ice water will help deaden the pain/burning sensation. I was told this will also help the burn heal faster. If you need to wrap the burn, go to the drug store and look for some of those burn bandages. They have a cooling gel in them and won't stick to the burn.
    If you ever burn yourself again, put whatever appendage in cold water or better yet, ice it. Cooling the burn helps the healing process! [​IMG]

13. I pop every blister I get... then I bite the dead skin off.
    A little puss on the fret board helps quicken the chord changes... and pain is such a rush.

Try some of that rattle can, spray-on skin shit. It may take several coats to get a good thick "guit-fiddle proof" layer. You might want to media blast it and prime it, first.

Otherwise, put it in cider... deep in cider. [​IMG] [​IMG]

JOE[​IMG]

14. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

When I got burnt in my race car the doc had me get so stuff cold silver cream. When you put it on it took away about 75% of the pain.That was on 2nd and 3rd deg burns and no you are not to break the blisters

harpo1313 likes this.
  15. metalshapes

metalshapes

I know you are not supposed to, but I always pop the blisters right away.
    And now for some good advise...
    Aloe vera, I cut my hand on a customers car once.
    So I showed him and said, see what your car did to me???
    He went home and got me this plant, broke off a leaf and told me to let the sap drip into the wound.
    This stuff really seams to speed up the healing process.
    If you are a delicate man, I suppose you could go to your local drugstore and get something similar in a tube...

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The water thing does the trick after the burn. It will alot of times prevent the blister. The burn actually continues after you remove it from the heat source and water stops the continuation. The only bad thing about this is. You have to stick it in water very quickly and where and the hell do you find water that quickly?
    I come up with a stupid solution that works for me.
    As soon as I get burned... I stick it into my mouth to cool it or lick the area with my tongue.You can actually hear the sizzle from the burning flesh hitting the saliva.
    I know it sounds weird but it works with preventing the burngetting worse and 98% of the time, no blister. Wash off the wound after of course to get the mouth cooties and spermoids off the burned area.

17. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

<font color="green">Everbody ready to poo-poo me?

Here it is...

A friend of mine, who has been a welder for a really long time, told me once to put butter on it, right out of the fridge.

I have tried it and it works. Of course, it won't work now.

I would go for the Cider treatment.

It never really cures anything but sure takes your mind off of it.

RASHY </font>

18. [ QUOTE ]
    When I got burnt in my race car the doc had me get so stuff cold silver cream.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean Silvadine {SP?} Cream...
    That shit is amazing. I can't say it takes the pain away, but what it does, is gives new skin something to grow to.
    I had a marble-sized gob of molten metal burn a crater in me... I won't say where...okay, it was my dick [​IMG]... and the pretty brunette doctor gave me a jar of it. The burn was deep, and made an actual hole into the skin. That cream allowed the skin to grow back and fill the crater. Not even a scar... except for the nightmares. Oh, and she even put a Snoopy band-aid on it for me. [​IMG]

A side note: This burn was caused by a fellow welder playing a prank. While I was on break, he cranked my wire feed all the way up. Not such a bad thing, but I was wire welding with steel wire and argon (spray arc) and it was like it just blew the metal up. I was kneeling down, and welding overhead. It burned through a flame retardent apron, my jeans and shorts. And, yes, I punched that fucker right in the teeth.

JOE[​IMG]

deathrowdave likes this.
  19. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green">Everbody ready to poo-poo me?

Here it is...

A friend of mine, who has been a welder for a really long time, told me once to put butter on it, right out of the fridge.

I have tried it and it works. Of course, it won't work now.

I would go for the Cider treatment.

It never really cures anything but sure takes your mind off of it.

RASHY </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

You talking about the store bought Martinelli's kids stuff or the ass kicker home brew variety? [​IMG]

20. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

rashy,
    do you mean soak it in cider,or
    soak it in side her?

21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

butter will help cool the wound but then as it warms it will trap the heat slowing the healing process.

best to cool it with clean water as soon as possible to stop the meat from cooking and the use the aloe.

I usually buy the cheap leather gloves and after only a short time welding or cutting the threads on the left index finger will come apart, causing a hole in the glove, more dangerous then no glove at all because you think you have protection but only too late do you realize ya don't

and yes on the cider, soak it in cider, deep inside 'er.

it may not heal any faster but it helps take your mind off the pain [​IMG]

Paul

22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I second degree'd my right hand on the coil of my Buick a couple of years ago. Immediately put water on it and it still blistered up--and hurt like a sonovabitch. I usually recover pretty quick from a burn on the hands. After an hour of waiting for the pain to go away, I finally called my wife to come down to the shop to get me because I couldn't drive my stick shift truck home at 3am.
    Aloe didn't help too much, but several Ibruprofin (Advil) deadened it enough to go to sleep that night (her tip for the advil). Ibru also seems to help for sunburns, so keep that in mind when you cook yourself welding.

And that was my wanking hand, but it's kinda nice to switch off every once in a while! [​IMG]
    -Brad

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I have successfully patched hurting fingers with crazy glue. Forms a hard shell and protects for quite a while. Probably the same stuff as the spray mentioned above.

24. There's a product called Aquaphor that gives very fast relief. My wife has used it on bad kitchen burns (spilled oil) and she has practically zero pain tolerance. She swears by it.

Butters not good. Cold water first to stop the burning.
    Dan

25. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Popeye used to soak his in Olive oil, HEHEHEH

26. Gracie

Gracie

I know what works for grease burns... but it sounds like it would hurt... when I worked in restaurants, we used to soak our burned fingers, hands, arms, etc in a bath of bleach and water... it didn't hurt, and took the pain away immediately... and I never blistered either.

27. magnet

magnet

put aloe cream on it... it seeems to work good for me... although when i get drunk, burns hurt less.... drink up

28. Hi Nads,
    Go to a plant nursery and buy an Aloe plant.
    They grow like weeds,put it outside your shop or
    on your patio.They are very easy to grow.I`ve kept one
    handy for years.
    Right after a burn go and cut one of the leaves in half
    and put the sticky goo(from the plant)right on the burn.
    The pain will imediately lesson.Keep applying and it will
    heal quick.The shit is like magic [​IMG]

Good Luck...JR

29. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

Laquer thinner and masking tape! [​IMG]
    Old body shop remedy.

30. atch

atch

ice. preferably ice water. get the burned part in it as quickly after the burn as possible. keep it soaking for an hour or so. it may or may not still hurt for a while after the ice water soak, but shortly thereafter the hurt will stop for good. and even though the outer layer of skin will seperate it won't puff up. sort of like having the blister without the liquid inside. it will also heal quicker. i used to swear by aloe until i tried ice water (which i discovered by accident on a 4th of july when the kids were pretty young). now ice is my only solution.

nads - sorry that this doesn't answer your original question but file it away for the future.