Register now to get rid of these ads!

Source for New or Used 15 X 8 Chevy Plain Steel Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOSTONCAMARO, Jun 22, 2012.

1. I have heard people taking little known or 'rare' 15 X 8 wheels, stock steel wheels, not a rally wheel of any type (do they exist) off of Chevy and other GM Station Wagons and using them for drag tires etc, but really I am not sure what is out there.

Anyone know if you can get a plain steel 5 X 4 3/4 with a standard factory back spacing? Cragar makes something but I really want a stock look.

Let me know, thanks.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I seem to recall looking in the Chevy car parts book from that era and not finding any listed. There are non-rally 6 lug wheels, used on some Blazers in the 80s.

3. I have mine made by a local "circle jerk" race shop. I just give him a stock GM 15" wheel, he cuts the centers out and welds them into a new hoop (rim) to whatever width you want. Mine are 14" wide and cost me $120.00 for the pair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

The widest I could find was 15 x 7. I bought a set, only to find they weren't wide enough! I found the only way was to put the centers into 8" rims. If you can use 7" wides, give me a call!!
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The widest regular Chevy car steelies I have come across were the 15x7 that came on station wagons. I think my wife's old 1979 Chevy ex Texas highway patrol car had some fairly wide rims on it as it had the full 1979 cop car chassis under it.

If you had someone who could cut the centers out and swap them 15x8 pickup steelies are easy to find and fairly inexpensive around here. I think I even have a couple in my tire pile.
    I looked in my old Hollander interchange but it only goes from 55 to 67 and doesn't show the later wider rims. If you can find a later interchange manual it might make hunting easier.

6. Most, if not all '73-'77 GM "G" body cars used a 15x7 steel wheel unless it was some kind of rally or styled wheel.

7. I like the idea of having the centers dropped into other rims, or have rims widened etc.

Any leads on companies online that do this or the shop near you that did yours?

thanks!

8. MISCONSTUDE

MISCONSTUDE

Bought 15x8 steel stockers new from summit or Jegs, don't remember which but its worth a look.

9. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As stated the widest 15" non-rally wheels are 7". If you want 8" stock style, Summit has the best prices I've seen, PN#WVI-62-5834044.

10. metalman

metalman

I'd give Jimmy (wheelkid on here) at Rally America a call, he could build what you need.

11. squirrel

squirrel

thanks for the link. That would probably look right with some dog dish hub caps...but the center is not quite the same as a Chevy wheel. So it wouldn't work for what I want to do.

12. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are correct, depending on which Chevy wheel you are trying to match the discs will be different. Then again, I'm not aware of any 8" rim being "correct" either. If there is a particular style you are seeking then about your only bet is getting someone to weld 8" rims on to the discs you desire.

Attached Files:

13. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Some 69 Corvettes came with 8" wheels and full wheel covers. Don't know whether they used a standard rally wheel under that wheel cover or not, but that'd be the only possibility I can think of that could have a 15X8 non-rally wheel as a stock wheel.

14. squirrel

squirrel

Then again, maybe it would be close enough. Here's the one I'm playing with, stock 55. The Wheel Vintiques looks like a pretty good copy.

Attached Files:

15. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I remember correctly they used a rally wheel painted black.

16. NMCarNut that is what I am thinking, the factory looking wheel, which seems to be the exact wheel by Summit, I want something like that..in 8 inch wide.

17. pickengrass

pickengrass

I have a pair of these 8" plain steels that I run on the back of my 63. They are very hard to find and I wish I had a few more. I was told they came out on some early wagons.

18. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Just a thought on backspacing. Does the 8" wheel use the same offset as the 7" oem wheel? What is the normal factory back spacing ?

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

A lot of rodders THINK they have a 8 inch rim because it measures 8 inches across the widest point ... but it is really a 7 inch rim.

Rims are 1 inch wider across than the real size because the measurement should be meaasured inside the rimes 1/2 off a inch off the bead.