Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Malcolm Model A Roadster Build**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Gaters

Gaters

Hurry, we want a ride!! Lookin great.

2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Nick, My pop's used to call them "Peckers".......Jen bought me a set a couple of years back since my dad would only let me borrow them for a week or so at a time.

The roadster is looking GREAT!!!, your going to make 'NIMROD' jealous that he sold his roadster a couple of years back.

Chris

3. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Hey nick it looks like you're using a flap disk to grind down your welds. That is slow and adds unnecessary heat to the panel. Plus you want a rough surface for the body filler. Try using a cutting disk on edge to get the welds down almost flush, then hit it with some 36 or 60 grit.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Bought a couple hole saws to cut holes in the dash for the gauges.
    I found a photo of the gauge layout in the '31 Vicky gasser that Circle City Hot Rods built for Terry and copied that layout.

[​IMG]

Thinking about putting a push-button start switch in the top center hole. Also thinking about making a filler panel to replace the V8 ashtray and placing the key/switch and headlight switch in it. Any other ideas?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  5. I love those Mooneyes gauges!!!!

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Why didn't you just put the tach in the ash tray if you're getting rid of it? Looks like a similar size.

7. Elrod

Elrod

Great job Malcom. Been keeping an eye on your work through Facebook also. You're doing great work!

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

:) I posted the same photo on Facebook, asking for ideas, and a few others said the same thing! The tach in the center is a good idea, but it does seem a bit too big. If I were to leave it as-is (with the ashtray), I kind of like the balance. Could still install a starter switch in the top center and either hide the ignition and headlight switches or install them in the lower left area.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I hope you take this is the best way possible because you are my boo and all, but that tach over there is not jiving with the dash. I would eliminate that thing all together or eliminate the speedo and throw the tach in the center of those other gauges. Can't imagine having something as important as a tach not directly right in front of your face if you are actually going to run one. I've never had a working speedo in anything old I've owned and honestly I can say I missed having one.

I think if you're going for a purposeful racy look then sell the speedo and throw the tach in the center or run one off your steering column. If it's pure aesthetics then I believe you need to follow what a dash like a '35-36 is calling for which is more balance by removing the tach and welding that hole up. I like the ideas with the starter buttons and such though.

That tach reminds me of this shot from the movie Garden State (don't hate)....
    [​IMG]

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

As always, I appreciate your input, Jeffrey!

I think I'll set the dash aside for a while, think about the layout, and come back to it.

I found some more photos of the dash in Terry O's Vicky. I noticed his tach is front and center and speedometer is over to the right....

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i hate to say it but ya the tach isn't doin if for me over there all by itself , i agree the tach should be the focal point and looks like its begging to go in the center of that beautifull waterfall if theres any way to pull it off ? i could see the starter button or something else in the upper hole but for the rest of the switches i think hiding them would make for a clean uncluttered look , less is more kinda feel !

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The finished pic of Terry O's dash with the vintage SW's all lined up makes me want to kick myself in the mouth. :D I might retract my statement....

I think oddball things like that speedo being offset like that are awesome but it's gotta be in the right car like that Vicky. It's all out and it only makes sense to put things where they fit instead of where they look best in a car that has the drivers pedal in the passengers area. But yours is a different animal I think. To me it needs to be more about the look because so much of your car has been in that same vein so far. I think putting the tach front of the driver would be the easiest solution even if it swapped positions with the speedo.

My brother is using a 36 dash in his coupe and he's going with a Sun Sweeper Tach as the centerpiece of his gauges. Then he's got 3-4 other SW sweepers that are like the one in Terry O's Vicky. Those dash's are awesome.

13. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

When your reaching for a hard second gear and your watching for red line your eyes won't be in the center of the road. Form follows function. Nice work your doing there buddy!

14. Elrod

Elrod

In a racing situation, the tach is going to be much more important than the speedometer. I think it makes that statement when displayed in a car that if the tach is front of the driver, speed is in order.

15. kisam

kisam

What a about a stock radio in the middle, you could use the controls for you pushbutton and lights?

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the hell are those center switches in that dash? Pretty cool looking!

Keep going man! Getting anxious to see this one done...

17. I gotta agree with Jeffrey here man...I don't like it over their...whether it's gonna be the tach or the speedo.

Why don't you just put the tach in a cup on your column? That's the "racey" thing to do.

CUP CUP CUP :)

18. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Good move!!!

19. I think a dash should look simple and un-cluttered. Know your oil and temp, the rest you can feel.

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Terry says they are from a WWII aircraft...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5903321&postcount=100

I had considered that, but I'd REALLY like to keep the column clean and uncluttered...

I agree, Tim, BUT I plan on some road trips in this car, so a speedometer, gas gauge, and volt gauge should come in handy :).

I really could do without the Tach. These little roller cam 302s can turn alot of revs without hurting them...

I threw together a couple other ideas to see what would fit (should have done this before I drilled holes!).

The top one is a bit wide, center is current layout, bottom would actually fit all the gauges together...

[​IMG]

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Just to give you a better idea. You could also put the starter button under the gauge most to the left and the headlight switch under the gauge most to right but that might clutter it up a bit.

Attached Files:

22. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

I like your third idea and JJ's photoshop above looks fantastic! Vintage clock in the middle of the dash would look great. But, what do I know?

Great build and thread.

23. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I know that this may sound crazy, but.......I would recomend hiding the starter button and key location.......and not mention it on the HAMB.......just a thought........under the seat? Firewall? Dumb switch? Something to think about.

Chris

24. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I've always liked a tach mounted on the steering column (has to be a vintage tach) Seems that would solve some problems. I have a couple that would look good. Let me know if I can help. Gary

25. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I been watching your build since the start and like your work and the thought you've put into it, keep on doing it your way. this is a keeper!!!!

26. Cshabang

Cshabang

i still stand by my facebook comments! haha hope all is well man.

27. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

Have you put the dash and steering column in with the steering wheel and sat in it? I did a dash, and after I got it put together I had a hard time seeing the speedo with steering wheel. Was kind of pain trying to look around all the time to see the speedo. Tach in cup is what the F100 is getting, but the steering coolumn hangs down so far, it will help take up some space.

28. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

I like the way the build is coming along. Looking better ever next post...

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks alot for the Photoshop, Jeffrey! I'll come back to the dash in a week or two and post the changes...

Good point, Chris. The key/switch and battery cut-off will mounted out of site and I have a couple other anti-theft measures I'll be taking, also.

Thanks, Gary. I want to keep the column clean, with absolutely nothing on it, so the tach will stay in the dash.

Thanks, Chris!

You have a very good point. I'll get the steering column mounted before making any changes to the gauge layout.

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

A little more progress....

Instead of trying to fix the original firewall and flatten it to clear the engine, I cut it out and welded a new one in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started making the transmission tunnel/hump while the engine/trans were still in the car. The second photo below also shows the toe-boards and floor. The toe-boards and firewall are actually all one piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to leave the floor flat and not do any bead rolling. It will have "pyramid" rubber mat over it; the type you find on some old running boards.