Register now to get rid of these ads!

street rod wires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reaper-kid, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Reaper-kid

Reaper-kid
    from Australia

hey guys, i know alot of you dont like the new wires but im thinkin of putting some on my rod? just wanting to see who here is using them and what tire combo you guys have? i want to run 16's with black walled firestones and hoping to see some pics to help make up my mind..

Matt

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

why are you talking street rod on a traditional hot rod forum?

3. riverrat

riverrat

im pretty sick of this traditional bullshit
    riverrat

4. I though this was going to be about wires, as in wire harness, or plug wires- That I could help with.

5. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Er... go on a street rod site then, no-one forcing you to come on a traditional rod site.

I dont get it?

David

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

what's un-traditional about wire wheels?

are you talking about Low Rider Daytons or something?

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I think he may talking about the wire wheels called "Street Rods" from Wheel Vintiques. ;)

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ies-Street-Rod-Wire-Bare-Wheels/?autoview=SKU

So really you jumped before really knew what you were talking about. Might want to look before you leap next time. :D

It is a "traditional hot rod and custom" forum... :rolleyes:

8. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I have no idea how much time time I spent rounding up early Ford wires that ran true and weren't rotted beyond safe use....then sandblasting, powder coating, Vern Tardel rings so they seat correctly on Ford drums......

I do have a very good idea of how much it costs, though, and they still don't run all that true.....

The next time I want wires on my traditional car I'll seriously look at new wheels, even if it gets me kicked off this traditional message board;):eek:

9. The door that you came in by says exit in this side, why not use it.

Good gawd I seem to be surrounded by place derogatory term of choice here

Reaper Kid,
    You asked for an opinion(?) so here goes. If you are talking Daytons I am going to say that they may look a little goofy although I have seen cars that they looked OK on just not correct.

If you are talking those wires like Z man posted and it is the look and not the exact piece you are after I don't see a problem with them. You would have a new wheel that in theory is round and solid. They should be a saftey rim so you could actually run a modern tire on them safley if you wanted to. And they look right in the picture anyway.

10. That's Fuckin Hilarious!

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The aftermarket wire wheels had their time and place, and that was in the 70's and 80's. IMO any car with them today looks pretty dated and outdated. They were popular during the time when it was ok to have wide rear tires hanging out of the back fenders, thrush sidepipes, and psychedelic paint jobs. Not so much today.

Don

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[​IMG]

Wheel Vintiques "Street Rods", these definitely have a place

13. Yeah,,that's whats on my dated Deuce,chrome McLean Wires ,HRP
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reaper-Kid the latest vague question of the day award winner:D

If you are indeed talking the wheels Vintique Street Rod wires I think that they would look great on most 36 and earlier rods or customs. If you are thinking about putting them on the car in your avatar I'd not only say no but hell no. The wrong look for that car.

And maybe next time you could give us all the info we need when you ask a question so we aren't asking ourselves, Spark plug wires, wiring harness, wire wheels or ??????????????

And I'm another guy who has a stack of original wire wheels out in the shed and hope i can get a set out of them that will actually run true and clean up presentable.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hmmm.... I think it may be wheels.... :rolleyes:

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Now those are nice. I was talking about the Daytons and wheels like that. The ones you pictured are actually very cool and almost 35 Fordish.

Don

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

well those are the only ones I could find that are actually named "street rod wires"

Maybe the OP can come back and fill in the blanks.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I missed that the first time around Zman. But it must have been there as he hasn't edited the post.

19. I'm making popcorn...............

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Actually, Kelsey-Hayesish...duped from the original Kelsey-Hayes stamping dies.

Gary McLean (Wheelkid's Dad) I believe had a company that stamped the centers and nippled outer rings in the '70s, for the guys that couldn't find gennie Kelseys.
    Gary was also the originator of the McLean lip-laced wire wheel, and many other 'Gennie' type repops. His specialty was the painted Kelsey with polished stainless spokes.
    The Kelseys were aftermarket wires for Early Fords (and Chev and MoPar) that were sold thru the dealers in the late '20s thru late '30s. They were heavier spoked, and available in 15" AND 16". A real find for rodders from 1930s on up...I found a set on a Model A Coupe in Santa Clara Auto Wreckers in '57, $15 for the set.
    Another set came off a hay wagon here in Atwater, in 1990. (hay wagon was on a '35 For frame, with optional Kelseys! Traded a set of 15" pickup wheels with good used radials!)

Look in some old '50-65) R&C magazines, look at the cars running "V8 wire wheels"...
    Most likely, they are 'Bent-Spoke' Kelseys, ala Bud Bryan's R&C '29 Roadster.

Which actually gets these wheels 2 squares closer to 'period-correct', on our Traditional Rods forum.

I have V8 wire wheels ('35 Ford) on my '27 Tub, my brother has Kelseys.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  21. Reaper-kid

Reaper-kid
    from Australia

Wow what a mixed response! I'm talking about the vintuques sorry guys, should have been more clear. I would love to run an original
    Set and already had some but we can't use them in the state I'm building the rod in and if I want to still run spokes this is my other option?
    This is my first rod (30 5 coupe) and don't want to build it "street-rod" at all but this is an option for me for the rims as i need a bead lock and want wheels that don't wobble on the freeway ha.

22. Reaper - don't worry about what Wheel Vintiques calls those wire wheels - they are 100% perfectly acceptable! End of story.

23. So let me get this stright.. You need a set of wire wheels that have a bead lock? So your going to have enough HP and traction to need bead locks? there is not a set of wire wheels that will handle the traction without ripping out the center or breaking spokes:rolleyes:

24. Due to laws down under he needs what we call the safety bead (and they call bead lock) NOT the Bolt On Bead Lock that racers use to keep the tire from spinning on the rim. Original Ford Wires did not have the Safety Bead.

25. hard to argue with stainless steel wires for maintenance purposes, the steel ones are a PITA if they are old.

26. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

If you buy a 16x4.5" wheel they are still not going to have the safety bead. No one make a 16x4.5" outer that has a safety bead. I could make you a 15x4.5" that has a safety bead.

27. Reaper-kid

Reaper-kid
    from Australia

That's what I mean about the beadlock as hotroddon pointed out.

28. ncctcam

ncctcam

you're a beadlock.

29. Heres the wifes car.

Attached Files:

30. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Very Nice!