Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Jim Walker kustoms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 00 MACK, May 4, 2005.

1. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I was hoping that some of the guys who were around during the revival years might have some pics of the wonderful customs that were owned by Jim Walker of Dayton Ohio in the early to mid 80s,most of which were built by one of the greatest of all time,Charlie"chop top "Brewer. In the late 80s I know American Rodder featured almost his whole collection of early Hollywood style customs! Id love for guys like Frenz and Rikster to see these cars. Something tells me they have not.

2. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

00 MACK,that's a great idea ! These cars are damn fine ! I have every copy of American Rodder since the beginning and certainly have the issues you are talking about.Cancelled my sub when the mag became different in 2003 though.I'll scan some pics later as I now have to catch some sleep...that's gonna be kool...!!!

3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Yeah and hopefully it will lead into a look at the work of Charlie Brewer. I have personal photos af all this stuff but no scanner. I have photographed every car Ive ever seen that was nosed and decked.

4. 00 MACK

00 MACK

There were a whole shit slew of awesome cats from Ohio back in the 80s who drove nothing but period perfect early 50s style customs.

5. rjb

rjb
    from ICT KS

This does indeed sound cool, kind of an inventory of his slickest kustom work maybe.

rjb

6. Woah, will be waiting and drooling!-MIKE:)

7. Rikster

Rikster

00 MACK, thank you for thinking about the two of us.
    But I think both TheFrenZ and me are familiar with Jim Walkers wonnderful custom cars. I have the old American Rodder issue which covered his customs (I think I have the obscure German writen version of it... but unfortunately this magazine along with many of my 80's magazines is still in boxes after my move a half year ago.) Also in the June '86 issue of Hot Rod Magazine his customs where featured in black and white on one spread.
    My copy of this magazine is literly falling apart, so many times have I looked at it since it had the article on the Doug Thompson Jack Walker (relative?) Hirohata clone, Sam Foose '41 Ford coupe. John D'Agostino's 51 Mercury, and Barry Mazza's "clone" Louie Bettancourt in it as well. Living in the Netherlands it was extremely hard for me to find any 50's custom car magazines so this issue was the "custom car bible" to me for many years.

I'am unable to scan these magazines at this moment, since I wont be at work untill next Monday.

8. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

So here we go.The pics are out of the February 1993 issue which contains all the featured cars of the previous year.The cars themselves were in the issues of August and September 1992.Can't believe this is already 13 years ago...
    I only can apologize for the poor quality pics but as I know now it really depends on the quality of the paper the images are scanned off.Every feature of the car contains some more detail pics of those wonderful cars.I tried to scan them but the resized pics were too bad to post them here.I thought that Rikster surely would have some pics too and I look forward to see them ! I believe Rik always takes pics of the magazine articles with a high-end digital camera and that makes the quality really good.So I can't wait to see the pics you mention,Rik.Especially the black & white ones.

As written in American Rodder,Jim Walker has a huge collection of cars.According to the magazine,around 50.A/R featured only 10 of them and they are all great ! Too bad we never will know what else Jim Walker has standing in his garage.Truly amazing...

Let's begin with this very nice ' 50 Ford.As 00 MACK previously mentioned,all of his cars are in the best early Hollywood style.THE style at all,no doubt about it.Most visible change is the 3 1/2" chop and the Carson Top.The front was reworked with a '51 Ford hood and a '51 canadian Ford grille.Original door handles have been shaved and '46 Lincoln buttons were added.Taillights are frenched and fender skirts are cut down '51 Merc.The inside is as nicely finished as the outside.Rolled & pleated seats and door panels,chromed window frames and some chrome here and there on the dashboard,Crestliner steering wheel.Paint is '88 Jaguar Cranberry and according to Jim Walker,the color is as close as he could get to the old Tahitian Red.

[​IMG]

This is Walker's '42 Mercury Coupe.Just like the '50 above,this one also has a fully dressed and warmed over Flathead engine.Hmmm,Flatheads...Mods include nosing and decking,shaved door handles,shortened side trim,skirts,beautiful shiney black paint.Stance was achieved by 2" drop axle in front while the rear frame section was c'ed and the cross member was raised.The car simply oozes class...

[​IMG]

Another almost stock car with only very mild mods is this '53 Olds 98.Jim Walker became an Olds dealer in 1974 (he was a Lincoln/Mercury dealer before) and just wanted to have an Olds.No Flatty this time...The Olds Rocket (which is an equally nice engine) got some Belond headers and mufflers.Some of the stock side trim was removed and the car was lowered 2".That's all and it doesn't need more...

[​IMG]

This Carson topped '40 Ford is plain gorgeous.I need to post a pic of the rear which looks really,really nice.The car shows those nice '40 Studebaker taillights and some bumper guards,connected by an overrider which holds the license-plate.One more the frame was c'ed to get the rear down to mother earth where it belongs.The front again was lowered with a dropped Bell axle and also shows Flipper hubcaps surrounded by '48 Lincoln beauty rings.Bumpers are '40 Lincoln Continental and the engine is a 3/4-race '48 Merc Flatty.What else...

[​IMG]

Apparently there are also some Hot Rods in the Jim Walker collection.This mid 50's style Deuce Roadster is really a nice one and the only "bad" thing is the 4-link in front and the coilovers in the rear.The '32 wears the typical Black/red/white color theme which is very popular in todays "Rat Rod-Society" but it really looks different(better,right) on this one.Just my opinion.Power comes from a '56 265" triple-carbed Chevy connected to a four-speed.Real Hot Rods have manual trannys,right.The DuVall-style windshield just adds style and makes the car look like going 120 while standing still...pssst,don't tell anybody,the body is from Wescott,not from Ford.

[​IMG]

9. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

And now for something completely different.How many Muntz Jet Customs did you ever see ? Here's one.This car too is almost stock as those Jet's were Customs right from the factory anyway.Even the nice looking hubcaps are stock Muntz.

[​IMG]

No collection is complete without a Westergard-style '36 Ford and this is how Jim Walker's Roadster looks.Speaking of Westergard,the car of course has a '39 LaSalle grille and the hood and fenders reworked to accept it.Hood sides are solid but the hood top was louvered.The top was chopped four inches and a beautiful Carson top was added.Bumpers are DeSoto,the running boards were filled,skirts are '40 Ford.Whole car has been shaved and covered with damn fine shiney black paint...

[​IMG]

And yes,no collection is complete without a '49-'51 Merc.Jim Walker's Flathead-powered '50 Merc reminds me a little bit of the Barris-built Ralph Testa Merc.Chopped and Carson-topped,lowered,shaved,skirted,sombrero'ed and painted Cranberry(the aforementioned Jaguar paint),the Merc looks just classy.Early Hollywood style as it's best...

[​IMG]

Some people say a '40 Ford needs nothing more than the right stance.Rake in this case.Jim Walker's Forty is completely stock beside the L-81 Chevy engine.15" wheels with whitewalls and '50 Ford beauty rings and a dropped axle is all it needed to make the car standout...

[​IMG]

Then again,Jim Walker's '40 Ford Custom shows how neat these cars can look with a full Custom treatment by Charlie Brewer.In the article Walker says,Brewer is an artist and his style and quality is unbelievable and I wholeheartly agree.Just look at this masterpiece.I can't help it but I bet Verne Hammond's '40 Ford (Choppers C.C. Burbank,CA) was influenced by the profile of this here Ford.The interior is extremely nice and the Thickstun head-covered, 3/4-grind Isky-cammed Flatty make the car perfect.It screams 1952 Hollywood (copyright by 00 Mack)...

[​IMG]

These are just 10 of his 50-plus car collection.Unbelievable...

10. Great post! Thank you, guys!

Joel :)

11. rjb

rjb
    from ICT KS

Truly inspirational!

rjb

12. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Here are some of the smaller pics from the August 1992 American Rodder article by Joe Kress. I have the September 1992 issue as well.

If these are readable, I'll scan the rest tomorrow night after work. Let me know.

I also have another article on the cranberry red 40 Ford. I think I also have at least one article and pics from another non-Walker car by Charlie Brewer. Would that be appropriate here?

13. 00 MACK

00 MACK

The two cars were still missing are the Black chopped Chevy couipes one a 48 and the other a 50.

14. Awesome post. Makes me look at my 54 done up in a simple lowered way.

15. 00 MACK

00 MACK

As far as Charlie Brewer lets see Jerry Vallances chopped 56 Chevy,Tony Feils Moonglow clone and everything else hes ever so much as touched.

16. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Since you asked...
    The Jerry Vallance '56 Chevy from the June 1984 Street Rodder article by Lana Haynes (where is she now? Lana did some really nice stuff in the eighties).

I saw this car at KKOA Gettysburg SledScene East when it was fresh. What a stunner! I couldn't take my eyes off it. Absolutely perfect car - stance, chop, color, chrome, and especially proportion. Charlie Brewer has an eye for proportion. Is he still working in Hamilton, Ohio?

Attached Files:

17. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Sick car, Now does anyone remember a black choped 50 Chevy coupe that Brewer built for Walker. The car was at the nats in Springfield in 83. Alsop I think it should be noted that it was Jack Walker who had the Sam Barris Buick brought back to life.

18. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Some more of the small panels from American Rodder, August and September 1992, by Joe Kress.

19. Mutt

Mutt

Yes, he's in the same old building on rt4 north of Hamilton.

Mutt

20. shoebox72

shoebox72

This one?

21. 00 MACK

00 MACK

22. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

More shots of the Walker '40 Ford coupe. These came from the April 1982 issue of the lately lamented magazine, Classic & Custom. Photos by Lana Haynes (there she is again).

I have a thing about mis-proportioned chops - I like a chop which works with the styling so well that it doesn't call attention to itself. It just looks "right."

This goes double for a '40 Ford. The stock lines are so appealing and curvaceous, that it is easy to mess up the flow. I have seen plenty that look squashed or out-of proportion to the car.

While scanning in these pictures I accidentally had one with the magazine askew. The car looked like it was a typical, nose-down street rod. And it looked awful. Then I realized why this particular chop looks so delicious. It was designed from the git-go as a tail dragger. The chop is perfect for a car which sits low in the back. It flows like honey.

Attached Files:

23. 00 MACK

00 MACK

That was the best 40 coupe ever done. Just like the Black 50 Chevy I keep ranting about was the best 50 ever done.Its now here in Florida painted cream color with a whole Night Prowlers catalog screwed to it and still looks pretty cool.If Brewer or Walker saw it they would cry.

24. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

I love the Jet. It really is factory custom. For those who are not familiar with its history: The design started life as the two-place Kurtis Jet. Designed by Frank Kurtis of racing chassis fame. Also an able customizer in the early days. The Kurtis Jet featured inverted bathtub styling on ordinary Ford/GM chassis components.

Kurtis sold the rights to Earl "Mad-Man" Muntz, a Chicago manufacturer of radios and TVs in the fifties. Muntz stretched the chassis to seat four and somehow did not ruin the design. Engines were usually Lincolns or Cadillac 331 V8s.

I remember looking over a Muntz Jet at Hershey some 20 years ago that looked like this one. The owner begged me to take it off his hands for $1200. I passed at the time and have not seen one since. I wonder if it became the Walker Jet?

25. rumblytruck

rumblytruck

Great cars! I believe tasteful is the word that best describes them all. Not too much of anything but just enough of everything. I must have clipped every picture of the Walker clone of the Hirohata Merc and pasted it to my wall during that time.

26. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Just a note to clear up some confusion:

Jim Walker, whose cars are featured here, and Jack Walker (Hirohata clone and others) are two different people. Not even related as far as I know.

They just happen to share the same last name and a love for customs!

27. glassguy

glassguy

i have those magazines also. i remember when they came out, i wanted to jump into the pictures and clean some of those godamn whitewalls!!!!! looked like they were soaked in nicotine

28. Isaak_M

Isaak_M
    from LV/WA

Dyn-o-mite!!!

29. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Anybody on here know if Jim Walker also had a '51 or '52 Chev Convertable, chopped with a white Carson top? Was lowered, black, wide whites, full caps and jet black. Saw it parked in front of Lowes Theater on North Main street, in Dayton, Christmas eve night in 1955 'bout 11:30 pm.

Was so enthralled with this beautiful car that I didn't see the lady in front of me stop. Hit her in the ass with my dad's '48 Plymouth 2-door. Dad's car totaled, all ready traded for a new '55 mordoor Ford. Trade value was $500. I paid my dad the $500 out of my paper route money that I was saving for my own car.

Guess I learned a costly lesson that night! T'was the night before Christmas and all was not quiet 'specially when I called him from a noisy downtown bar to tell him the news.

True story.

30. TomH

TomH

Exactly what I was thinking about my '40 chevy ragtop.

I have been getting a whole new appreciation for customs since joining the HAMB. Thanks for posting the pics and doing the profiles on the different builders.