Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building my 63 Gasser!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63gasser, Oct 6, 2010.

1. 63gasser

63gasser

I have started to build my 1963 Rambler 440 American convertable. pulled out the original 6 cylinder and will be pulling out the transmission and removing the front suspension. I will be adding a front sub frame to hold the new leafs and tube straight axle....more to come!

Attached Files:

2. 63gasser

63gasser

I went to a Hot Rod swap meet and picked up a rebuilt turbo 400 transmission and a Ford 9 inch shortened to 48" rear end with Moser 35 spline axles, Strange lightweight pro race spool all for $600.00 I love swap meets

Attached Files:

3. A "gasser" convertible Rambler? Sounds like "gasser" is the new rat rod.

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Can't be any worse than any taildragger I've seen.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep...

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

that is an unfair statement to make. Why not let this thread continue for a while, observe the construction and the photos and then pass judgement?

perhaps it will become a very period correct, albeit rather odd, gasser that will be race worthy.

or, it could turn out to be a distasteful "ratrod"

and zman, you should not be jumping on the bandwagon without giving the guy a chance to strut his stuff.

just my $.02

7. cagedruss

cagedruss

Keep up the build and add pictures. Looks like it will be interesting.

8. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Looks interesting...I am looking forward to progress pics....

9. Sounds intrigueing. Keep us posted with pics on the progress.

10. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

i like the sound of it. please keep this thread alive

11. studemisfit

studemisfit

I love gassers, I love AMC's, And who doesn't love a drop top? so this guy is just combining three greats. More pic's and progress please.

12. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Very cool, I like the different body that you are going, what do you think the weight is?

Jon

13. I'm just saying that the likelyhood that this car would have ever existed in the past during the true "gasser" era is very, very slim. This whole "gasser" craze is getting out of hand just like rat rods did. Everyone is cutting up cars and shoving straight axles underneath them with no real understanding of what they are representing. I was not implying that his build quality would be sub-par like a "rat rod", only that this is just another bandwagon trend car.

14. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

I hear you. I have always wanted a straight axle early Falcon, but by the time I picked up my '61 2 door wagon, the straight axle fad was in full swing, and everybody I told about the car asked me if I was going to 'gasser' it. So I left the independent suspension in place 'to be different'.

That said, I still like a well executed straight axle conversion and will be following this build. Have fun with it!

15. Jay.S

Jay.S

Looks like an interesting build. And don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't do with your "own" car.

16. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Cool, I love gassers. This will be a fun project

17. chris55

chris55

I like how people complain about all the Gasser builds, but then will talk about how great a 32 Ford build is. (Because lord knows we don't see many of those.)
    This looks like a interesting build, keep us posted.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm tired of all the "fake" "wanna be" gasser style cars, pick a class and build it like it's for that class, sure. I'm not jumping on any bandwagon, I've thought they were dumb since I started seeing them around.

exactly, I've seen some very nicely built fake gassers. :eek:

19. 63gasser

63gasser

Just a little something i picked up for $25.00 today a moon tank and a Canister Style Fuel Filter that will go very nice for the build. the man said it came of a old drag car "I asked who what car" i want history but he did not know.....o well

Attached Files:

20. 63gasser

63gasser

well the hard top is 2555 so a little less than that

21. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Gasser means 'gasser-style'. Yes we know that not all gassers had straight axles but some did. Gasser has become a generic term, like posi or Kleenex. Everyone pretty much knows what your talking about.

And this 'style' has been around for 40+ years so to call it a trend is kinda goofy. I think the bandwagon has been already torn down years ago. And probably has a straight axle under it!

And yes keep us up to date on the build. At least it's different.

22. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Great post, I think that covers it.

Now back to the original post on this project, what is the wheel base of your project? Do you plan on doing a little bit of 1/4 mile with it?

Jon

23. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Go for it. At least your not using a fucking beer keg for a gas tank like some ah-hum traditional hot rods.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

24. monsterflake

monsterflake

let's call it what it is, a street freak, and leave it at that. the only difference between these 'gassers' and a street freak is the size of the front tires...

[​IMG]

25. Racewriter

Racewriter

I would bet that, at some point, somebody built a '63 Rambler NHRA gasser back in the day. Maybe not a droptop, but definitely a gasser.

It does get quite tiresome seeing people who are so up their own ass with "tradition" (which I wonder how much they really know, or have experienced) that they have to piss on every build that isn't a flat black '32 highboy with a 3-carb flatty.

26. I agree with Bob. Lets let this play out and then see what follows.........

27. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

We have an opportunity here to see something that COULD be interesting...
    At least give the guy a chance!
    Maybe it won't fit the "Gasser" class rules of 1963, but who really cares?

It'll be HIS personal interpretation of the style car he likes...just like 95% of the (cough,cough) "period correct" Hot Rods that inhabit this place.

28. Butch M

Butch M

build it it'll be cool....

29. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

Dude...The Rambler will be SICK...GASSED....:D I wanna watch the build...Also, for the "traditionalist"...burp...I got gass...:D So, you want the build to use WASHERS for the lift?? Damn, you folks are hard on ppl. I got splooged for entering a contest and posting pics of a disassembly. When every car was cookie cutter "falcon" restore! BTW, I don't see many "gassers" traveling down the street and I live on Route 66. Quit hatin' on a fella. There is a Rambler wagon not far from here for you traditonal restor ppl. Sheesh, there is room for everyone. My 'wagon' may end up "gassed" or slammed...but who cares? Only they guy or gal who works on the car and owns it has the idea of what they want it to be. May god forbid he brush it instead of spray it.:eek:

30. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

I dig street freaks! Those ladders bars are HUGE!!!!!!!!!