Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cams, performance, new #'s for old grinds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrJ, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

August 6 1957?

GTO, the wet spot in the bed is barely noticeable,

Fred, your link won't open for me?

Paul

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Fred, it did open, I see:

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]B [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Narrow triangle over rectangle [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]520, 896 [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]‘58 & up 283 PowerPak/’57-’60 Fuel Inj.,9.25:1 CR, 1.72/1.50 valves, 59cc chamber; could be good replacement on late 305 but no accessory bosses. [/font]

but no 539 listed?

3. DrJ

DrJ

Well They didn't make that # head before '57 and after '57, Chevy put the extra cooling drilling around the spark plugs so by simple deduction, your's have to be the '57's.

Now that http://www.bigdummymudracing.com/chdcast.html site has the block casting # of my engine listed in the head listing so I don't know what to think of any of it? :confused:

Ain't this fun stuff?
    Actually I don't care what the heads are as long as they work, ad get the car or truck down the road, but if they're special I guess it's a mo-betta brag, right?

4. FWilliams

FWilliams

HTML:

hey no problem..i have done a half dozen corvette engines for restorers...... like i said before there were 4 versions of the 57 corvette motor, they touted their 283 hp as being in the magical 1hp for 1 ci, .....the casting number is still correct for a 57 FI vette motor, the 283 hp anfd the 270 have both been found with the 539 casting going by the factory books ,as well as the 997, the more recognizable one to the naked eye

the sites i have linked to have been the most accurate to the GM books i have, i have found most sites on the internet to have inconsistent data, thats why i linked to the ones i did

if youre not building a numbers vette motor it doesnt matter any way, they were all small chamber heads with no spark plug cooling , the best thing you could do is bolt them on a 305:D

Paul can i buy your 462's that are in my shop now that you have these rare pieces?:D

Fred

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I was remembering them as 461s?

I still want to use them under the 471:)

don't know what I'll do with these yet though...:rolleyes:

6. FWilliams

FWilliams

nope...big valve 462's

had them mocked up on the engine today..........

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

ok, so we are narrowing the field as to what we have.

how about back the original question?

what about "correct" grind cams for these things?

should I just take my original '58 truck cam to Delta and have them regrind to a "phase 3" grind..

or would it be cooler to find an old 30-30 Duntov solid or whatever and stab that in there?

it is about the cool factor isn't it?

on a totally unrelated subject,
    'just watched Thunder Road last night,
    why do all the cars sound like they have killer big V8s in them when they drive up, but when they drive away they sound like little 6s with duals?

8. DrJ

DrJ

No surround sound or Dolby on the sound track then? ;)

I'm not at all familiar with the curve of a '58 truck but most truck/RV grinds are high torque, read short overlap, cams so I don't think they would find enough iron available to grind that 30-30 curve unless they welded it up, and that's $$$! not to mention uneven hardnesses in the stick to wear unevenly.
    I just go with a new cam, they're probably one of the cheaper items on an engine since most of them are comparable in price to a gasket set!