Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Danny Oakes, 1946, bicycling Johnny Balch's Offy. He saved it!

Attached Files:

2. My dad leading a heat race, San Bernardino, Orange Show Stadium,1947.
    This is his second Kurtis, chassis #121. This car is still in our family, and is currently in the Justice Brothers museum.

Attached Files:

3. Dad leading a race at Saugus Stadium (later renamed Bonelli Stadium) in 1947.

Attached Files:

4. In 1948 dad arranged with Kurtis to send a midget in kit form to his high school buddy, Gene Van Winkle, in Lincoln Nebraska. Gene's dad's Ford dealership put together a "Texas Stroker" V8-60 for the car. But, with a driver near 300 lbs, the car didn't really have an advantage. Dad is standing 3rd from the right.

Attached Files:

Zoera likes this.
  5. rick finch

rick finch

The driver weighed 300lbs.?:eek: Power to weight ratio was all out of whack!!

6. "Tiny" more than made up for it with agression!

Zoera likes this.
  7. Duane Carter at Gilmore, 1946

Attached Files:

8. Henry Banks in the Lindsey Hopkins Offy at Gilmore, 1946

Attached Files:

9. "Bullet" Joe Garson at Gilmore, 1946.

Attached Files:

grumpy32 and Zoera like this.
  10. A just home from the service, Walt Faulkner, 1946. I love that he's wearing his Air Force flight jacket. Guys like him were cool!

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  11. Gib Lilly in the very popular Donald O'Connor Special. This is an early Kurtis with 1/4 eliptic rear springs.

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  12. Chet Wilson's #5 in 1938. Chet and my dad were school pals in Lincoln Nebraska. Chet built this car in his mom's garage, and helped my dad build his first midget in '38. Chet went on to be a well respected builder in the mid west. He built many sprint cars and midgets up into the 1980's. Check out his "custom" in the back ground.

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  13. casper

casper

Great thread! The midget is a 1947 Kurtis V8-60 restored many years ago by Eli Vukovich. I wish it would fit thru my front door so I could park it in my living room! The little cars are vintage quarter midgets....1958 Kurtis 500, 1963 Lenny Gonsel (pretty rare), 1958 Racecraft, 1956 Stevenscraft, 1957 Racecraft (owned and raced by "Johnny" one of the original Mickey Mouse Club members), 1957 Wahlborg and a really cool late 50's mystery car that looks to be mostly a Vikingcraft. Kenny.

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.

14. Do you know any history on the KK midget before Eli restored it?

15. I tried.

16. casper

casper

Hi Dean,
    The book " Kurtis, the geneology of speed" only lists the chassis number (161) as far back as Eli Vukovich. Eli sold the car to Jim Lynch and he repainted it, Eli asked him to keep the number #14 on the car and Jim raced it and displayed it at some vintage events (see last picture below at Madera, Ca.) and while Jim owned the car he researched and listed the drivers in order as... Bob Machin (Stan Brooks owner), Earl Motter, Bob Veith, Johnnie Baldwin and Dickie Reese. Jim Lynch sold the car to Joe Noble in Clovis, Ca. where it sat for several years. Joe Noble passed away and I bought the car a couple years later from Joe's son Chad Noble. Again, I can only verify this back as far as Eli for certain, but I would love to hear from anybody that may know anything for sure. I must say, it is an honor to talk to you Dean, I am fully aware of your hot rod and racing history! Kenny.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    grumpy32 and Zoera like this.
  17. Kenny, you are too kind. I was just lucky to have a father who loved racing, and had a wonderful circle of friends in many types of racing.

You are lucky you know as much history on your Kurtis as you do. Much of the history of these wonderful race cars is known, but much more has been lost through the years. Great collection of 1/4 midgets too. I have a little history with those myself. ;)

18. 40Ford77

40Ford77
    from Louisa

I have a V8 60 midget with something wrong in the motor ... any ideas on a shop in Fredericksburg, VA or Washington area that can rebuild it?

19. racing from the past

racing from the past

20. racing from the past

racing from the past

The Man Behind The Legend By Donna Wilson.
    http://www.racingfromthepast.com/chetwilsonindex69.html
    On this link you can go to http://www.chet-wilson.com/ and watch a slide show. Just click on the Offy Killer at the top of the site.

21. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Gimme a day or two. Got some photos from Wayne Doebling this week, and there's some cageless midgets in there, I believe.

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

No notes on the back of this one from Wayne Doebling, but it sure looks like Chuck Rodee to me...

[​IMG]

grumpy32 likes this.
  24. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

This one says it was taken at Columbus, Ohio on September 3, 1968...

[​IMG]

grumpy32 likes this.
  25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Wayne IDs this one as John Deering at New Bremen on Sept. 22, 1968...

[​IMG]

grumpy32 and Black vette 59 like this.
  26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

No notes on the back of this one. Looks like a fairgrounds. Surely somebody can ID it...

[​IMG]

grumpy32 and Black vette 59 like this.
  27. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Has a Merle Bettenhausen look to it...

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another from Wayne. No date stamp.

[​IMG]

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The 61 is probably Mel Kenyon, of course. The date stamp from Wayne Doubling says May 29, 1970 and it looks like IRP, so it's probably the Night Before the 500...

[​IMG]

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another from that Night Before the 500 1970 bunch...

[​IMG]

grumpy32 likes this.