Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Axle And Li'l Axle And The Dago Deuce

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by av8, Feb 9, 2009.

1. av8

av8

2. Damn Fine Article and great pictures.. Thank you!!

3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great story Mike thanks for the history lesson. I didn't realize Andy Bekech's Vicky was Bob's old car. Somebody got a bargain at BJ.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Great history lesson. Thanks

5. mcload

mcload

Interesting story and well-written...thanks.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

A really captivating article. The in depth stories of important figures of times gone is something that I really cherish on this site.

It looks like Bob and his father Ed had a great relationship, one that I know a lot of us can relate to. Tradition can only be kept alive if it's passed on for younger generations to admire, respect and adhere to, and this seems to be a great example of a heyday that is looked to by all of us.

Any idea of the common drops that Ed did? Were they 2.5" over stock originally? I remember reading that it wasn't until the mid 50's that anything over 2.5" was available readily.

7. Thanks for a really well written story and the neat photos. A very interesting bit of hot rod history.

8. daddio211

daddio211

Great story AV8, thanks for sharing!!!

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

thanks Mike, great story and pictures
    you give us a nice human side of our American hot rod history

10. Thankyou for sharing!

11. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Nicely done story, thanks.

12. blackout

blackout

Nice read, thank you.

13. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Expertly written and a genuinely terrific story, AV8. There may be more for a sequel as I have recently been introduced to Ward Soule, one of the founding members of the San Diego Roadster Club. He has promised to bring his photo album, timing slips, and great stories.

14. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I looked at a Dago axle a guy had last year.He gave me the whole history and said the way you could authenticate it was with looking closely at the hammer marks!
    Nice write up.

15. Truly excellent story and pictures, thanks.

I am really fascinated with the 33-34 grill on the A roadster, that is the first time I have ever seen that combo. It looks great.

16. "The goal, for the young gearheads, “…was to attract girls,” but after building the hot rods to win their hearts, “…we never had any money or time to take them out,” he laments, laughing. “We cruised from drive-in to drive-in looking cool, between overheating!”

I'm gonna have to say that this is still true today...:)

Great article...thanks

17. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

great read thanks

18. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Thanks for the great read, and here I thought I was going to be bored during lunch!

19. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Thanks for that, Great read.

Nick.

20. av8 ... great read ... I had never heard the term "Dago" dropped axle before ... learn sumpin' new everyday! :)

21. seldom scene

seldom scene

Thanks for the history lesson, someone got a very good deal on that Vicky. I couldn't believe that car sold for 72K while those guys were paying stupid money for "re-created" muscle cars.

22. autobilly

autobilly

Another trademark interesting and informative article. Thanks for the Hot Rod heritage lesson Av8.

23. Thanks Mike, great to see your still here, appreciate your valuable input, ditto, great read on another hot rodding hero.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

24. Thanks Mike, I have had the pleasure of spending some time with Bob Stewart in Southern Oregon when he visits his buddy(and mine) Bill Schoenlieber in Medford, Oregon. First met him when he attended the Hotrod-a-rama in Tacoma, Wa. a few years back. Great guy and has seen it all. Hope his health is ok. Nice to see you here again AV8

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Well written Mike. You haven't lost your touch relating a significant part of hot rod history. I learned a bit of this from a couple of old guys who were on the west coast during that time, one stationed there while in the army, the other in the Navy. The Navy guy remembered seeing Ed Stewart at a lakes meet he attended. I came across them while building my '29 av8 in 1961-62. They were more than generous about sharing their hot rod knowledge with a 16 year old building his first "real" hot rod. One of them showing me how they reversed leaf springs with a big hammer and anvil. I still do them the same way today.

Frank

26. uleman

uleman

Damn, I wished I would've known what "Dago Rake" meant in high school. I probably wouldn't have been poked in the eye by that Italian kid when I said his car had a Dago Rake.

27. Thanks Mike, a very enjoyable read.

28. Crease

Crease

I bought an old 34 chassis (now under my 33) several years ago from behind a local business. The owner built up the chassis many years before with the help of a friend. He didn't remember much about the components, but he did remember that he had ordered the axle from Dago and proceeded to tell me a fraction of the story that was just told. Since I put the car together, only one person has ever recognized the axle as a Dago. I'll have to head out in the morning and look for the hammer marks.

Thanks for the history lesson!

29. 4 port Riley

4 port Riley

Ryan, For what it is worth, the 1957 Kuzma Indy roadster is alive and well at the Price Museum of Speed in Salt Lake City, Utah. Our website is www.pricemuseumofspeed.org if you go to the site and click "collection" and scroll down past all the other highgrade cars, there it is in full 1957 glory with Bruce Crower's name on the side as chief mechanic. Just thought you might like to know.

30. river1

river1

great read mike

i have always enjoyed your writings

later jim