Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor City Flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Burgy, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Burgy

Burgy

I've been doing some extensive research on flatheads lately as I plan on rebuilding/building one in the future and I'd like to get my head on straight before anything happens, and I've stumbled across motor city flathead amidst my searches. My question is if anybody knows if they are selling any blocks yet, and how much they would be, or if they are still in dev?

thanks

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

If you want a "new" block, check into a French block at SF Flatheads (or something similar - can't recall just now). Probably significantly cheaper than MCF new blocks...

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

I thought those blocks were like $2,500.00 7 or 8 years ago,....
    who's selling them now ? And is it true that the intake ports are more restrictave than the stock Ford blocks ?

5. There are two books "How to Build a Flathead Ford V8" and "How to Build Ford Flathead VA Power" by George MCNicholl. I bring this up because, as I recall, Mr McNicholl is a resident of British Columbia and used several local sources in building the motors documented in his book. The books are excellent and well worth having. But, in your case, they could also lead you to some capable help in building your motor.

6. Both excellent books,and yes,he is from B.C.Burgy there are still some excellant builders right here in B.C.I read on here recently,that Motor City Flatheads wasn't operating due to health problems of owner.Anybody know any info?

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

OK, you made me look it up! :D

Go here for the blocks:
    http://www.sfflatheads.com/

$2500 for stage one. In the pic, you can see the restriction - yes, it's a narrowing of the bowl, but can be easily ground out.

[​IMG]

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Mark was in bad health for a while, He is doing fine now and is developing all kinds of wild stuff for flatheads including a 4 1/4" crank for the new aluminum blocks,... go to shadow rods and click on the Motor city Flathead link. ( I will be seeing Mark Thursday ) They had a display at the GRNS where they were running the new flathead, and I think Street Rodders Deuce 3 Window they are building will have one of Motor City's engines in it.
    http://www.motorcityspeedequipment.com/

9. Glad to hear that,he's such a talented builder.Thanks

10. Mark is one of the most approachable people around. He doesnt hold back, shares everything he know. And once you get Jon started....well, Jon has great passion for what he stands behind. We talked at GNRS and they were still up in the air about $$ on the motors. Mark was anxious to get it home and take it apart after running it all weekend. He's a phone call away.

11. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I've got a French block for sale that I bought from Mark if anybody is interested. It's still in the create.

12. Burgy

Burgy

sorry i didnt get back to this thread earlier guys, but thanks for the helpful information, i'll definitely have to try and find that book from the dude in bc. I do have a 59a block, the new block just sounds neat with all the improvements they are doing and if a new block is reasonably priced itd be cool to build one, however thats more of a pipe dream methinks. Those french ones are definitely cool, and definitely a possibility for another ride.

13. Flathead Injun

Flathead Injun

Check out JIMCO (512 360-5405) in Smithville, TEXAS... They have the French blocks in stock .... $2000.00 for bare blocks ..... $2500 for the blocks CNC'd to remove all the o/s "lumps" with intake & exhaust ports enlarged, ported and polished, and gasket matched!

14. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Don't forget that although the intake ports need a little attention, the exhaust port boxes are reshaped and much better IMO. Now I don't have flow data to back this up, but if you inspect a French end exhaust port it's not hard to see the improvement. Where the original exhaust box has abrupt changes of direction for the flow to pass by, the French ext ports are gently curved around the cylinder. Less work IMO to get them right. These French engines appear to me to be the natural next step the Flatty's would have taken if their production runs went longer here in the States.

15. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Theres a bare block for sale in the classifieds right now for $1500 if anyone is interested.;)

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Not a bad price compared to what SF Flatheads are asking...

17. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

if you guys are paying $2000 for a bare block your getting bent over and theyre taking your pants down.....

to buy a complete block is only £1000 over here complete with 4" crank, 7-8 years ago they were way less than half that - we were getting them for £300 - £400 for complete engines. yep there is shipping to get them over but...

when they first appeared on the market the guy who originally had them had flatheads as far as they eye could see - there was literally thousands of them hence the reason they were so cheap.