Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 motor serial numbers -decoding them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommorookian, Oct 30, 2011.

1. <ARTICLE><HEADER class=header><!-- google_ad_section_start() -->How to Decode a Ford 302 Casting Number

<!-- google_ad_section_end() --></HEADER><FOOTER class=footer><!-- google_ad_section_start() --><FIGURE class="Thumbnail articlePhoto"> </FIGURE>
    Casting numbers are basically part numbers or characters that provide information about parts of a Ford 302 engine block. These numbers tell you when the part was designed, which department designed it and what it was originally designed for. Understanding Ford’s casting numbers is simple, once you gain a basic understanding of numbering structure. Majority of casting numbers consist of nine digits which are broken into three groups.
    <!-- google_ad_section_end() --><SECTION class="Module body FLC">Instructions

<SECTION><!-- google_ad_section_start() -->
      • 1 Decode the first character letter. Ford casting numbers always start with a letter for “Decade,” according to Classicmustang.com. A Ford 302 engine can trace its roots to 1962 when it was first introduced in a Ford Fairlane. It remained in production till the mid 1990s.
        In the 1960s, Ford started using the numbering structure with the first letter being “C.” In 1970s, it changed to “D” and so on. For instance, if the casting number is C5ZZ-2140-CR, the decade number is “C” or 1960s.

• 2 Decode the second number. The second number in the code is always the manufacturing “Year.” For the example above; C5ZZ-2140-CR, the manufacturing year would be 1965.

• 3 Decode the third character. This represents the vehicle line. Letters A, F, J, O, R, T, Z, D, G, M, P, S and V represent car lines Galaxie, Outside U.S., T/A Racing, Industrial, Fairlane/Torino, Rotunda, Truck, Mustang, Falcon (60-69), Comet/Montego, Mercury, Autolite/Motorcraft, Thunderbird and Lincoln (61+), respectively.

2. Just got a 302 numbers on block DPB06523. Got it at pick a part. Could you help please.

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

Where did you get your info that a 302 was introduced in 1962? Maybe 260 then 289 then in 67 the 302 was introduced. What book are you using?

4. Found another set E0AE

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

do you have the numbers after E0AE?

7. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I was wondering the same thing. The 221 and 260 were introduced in 1962, the 298 was 1963 and the 302 was 1968

8. moefuzz

moefuzz

So are we supposed to be impressed?

The Dark color of the background and the even darker color of the text sure doesn't impress.
    And the information has been available for many decades
    not to mention that it's been posted here and on other sites many 1ooo's of times.
    I also fail to see how it will help id a block casting number or "motor serial number??

?

Or are we missing something here?
    I'm not sure what the purpose or use of this thread is?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  9. moefuzz

moefuzz

I read it as "Trace it's roots back to..."

10. Heres all they will tell you.
    [​IMG]

11. Thanks Mike this is what I needed.