Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Sixty Two (My Build Thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by graverobber63, Sep 22, 2011.

1. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I think it's about time I started a build thread on my 62 Bel air, so here it goes.

Last year after selling my Riv, buying a house and getting engaged, I started to get the itch for another car bad. I decided I wasn't going to just buy any car that came along, I wanted a car that I would keep and be happy with, and not a rotten Canadian salt eaten POS either. I started to think hard about what car I really wanted, and I narrowed it down to 2 or 3 models.

After hearing a lecture from my car buddies at our local hangout, it was decided a 62 Bubbletop Bel air was the only car that would keep me content. So the hunt began. Considering how rare they are, I actually found 4 or 5 of them within weeks. I found one in southern Ontario, VERY rough with a 6 cyl/3 speed for $8500, a few basket cases and the one good one, but it was in Vancouver, basically a shell that was WAYY to expensive.

I started asking around if anyone knew of any for sale. One of my customers at work was building a 62 Impala SS wagon (a clone of a factory produced SS, never done to a wagon. This thing is awesome even has the rear cove SS trim) and he mentioned one that an older man in Quebec had one, and has owned it for 20 years. I got ahold of the guy, and he said yes, he was considering letting it go. I immediately called 3 friends and we booked it to the mountains of Quebec to find this car.

We got up there and all 4 of us had hardons immediately. The car was SOLID. Not a pinhole or rust spot anywhere. Body mounts, floor braces, inner rockers where perfect. Besides a few minor dents the car was perfect. While there, he showed us other cars he had, including a '56 hardtop, a '61 409 Sedan and a '55 Chevy that one of my friends wanted. We struck a deal and bought both the 62 and 55. That was a great day. This was Febuary 2011.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the '61 409 4 speed he had

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My car is extremely rare, according to the VIN, it's #8 of 710 built. Very low production number, which is neat because it might have been in some promo material. I plan on getting GM Canada to help me decode it further.

2. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

He wanted way too much money for the 409 that went with it, so I bought it as a complete shell less drivetrain. He told me if he was ever to sell it, I would be the first to know. I towed the car to my friend Shawn's house and left it there while I figured out what I should do first. I decided a motor was a good winter project, so I started rebuilding a 58-62 passenger car 283 I had at home.

[​IMG]

The block is .30 over, flat top pistons with a mild cam

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I smoothed the block as best I could, I wire wheeled it then used etching primer on it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

I scored a 4bbl intake with a filler tube cheap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cleaned, wire wheeled and degreased everything, even though I replaced most of everything

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the heads rebuilt, factory Canadian Powerpack heads

[​IMG]

Smoothed the fuel pump

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smoothed the 2.5" Corvette Ram Horns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Painted and reassembled, NOS Cal Custom Valvecovers freshly polished

[​IMG]

We test fired it on a stand in my garage- ran awesome

Now it was time to teardown the car and start the airride. At this point the suspension is being completely redone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supervising Shawn while I drink beer and smoke

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I owe some favours to my friend Felix for all the polishing he's doing for me!

5. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Plumbed all my valves

[​IMG]

8 gallon, 8 port tank. Street T on top with a pressure switch and Shrader valve. Street T on the bottom with a 200psi blow off valve and a drain cock

Next up, Steering rebuild and PS Conversion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta cut those new bumpstops

Should I go with Roman Red/Red interior or Tuxedo Black with a red interior? (ignore the wheels)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I noticed a hairline crack in my intake from the top heaterhose fitting spreading to my thermostat housing thanks to my cheap ass chrome Mr.Gasket fittings. I guess I snugged them a little too tight. So I swapped the intake for a new Edelbrock last night. Weighs considerably less, I lost the carb adapter so the breather will sit lower, and will flow better but I regret not painting it orange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polished the fuel line, mounted my new starter and flywheel, timed the motor as best I could and started running the plug wires too

I'm not feelin the wires...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it for now, more to come...

7. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  8. michev

michev

Run the Fentons,they will look really cool on your car.

9. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Very sweet car! She's comin along nice! I vote chrome steelies!

10. Encinitas4

Encinitas4
    from California

steelies for sure

11. yblock292

yblock292

What did you paint the engine with? Looks really good

12. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

ck car with be gorgeous!

13. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Etching primer, spray bomb Plastic Kote Chevy Orange and then Plastic Kote engine clear.

14. Tony

Tony

Real nice man! I dig the bubble top, and it's cool you will be able to trace it through GM Canada!
    I also dig the Fentons as well. I got a PERFECT damn near new set of chrome steelies if you wanna trade!! :):)... ok, didn't think so. haha
    I'm running 14" Cragars with thin whites on my 62....they'd look good on that too :D

Really though, it's a slick car and i'm sure is gonna be a fun build, and even better to drive!

Tony

15. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Tony hopefully I'll have it in primer driveable for the Syracuse Nats next year!

16. Tony

Tony

That'd be cool. We may actually go for a day next year and i'd love to see it. We havn't gone in 4 years.

17. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Caaaaan you dig it??

I vote chromies myself...

18. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Nice score! , its hard to find one so straight and rust free. IMO, Tuxedo Black with a red interior, the sheet metal certainly looks straight enough for black.
    With Black, I would do the Steelies.

Dale
    Cleveland OH

19. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

black with red interior with those fenton's .

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Its about time Adamo ! Looks really nice, and I vote for black with the Fentons, too many red Chevys already !

21. Tony

Tony

I forgot to say this before.
    BLACK with red guts!!!
    I had a 63 with those colors from the factory and it really was a great combination.
    If it came from GM roman red, i'd say leave it.....otherwise it's gloss black ALL the way!!

Tony

22. Man, What a nice looking car!!! I say keep the Fentons too. Keep us updated on this beauty.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  23. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Got the tranny back last night, rebuilt TH350 with a mild shift kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. csimonds

csimonds

Looking Good! Can't wait to see your progress
    Chuck

25. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I really dig this style. I vote gloss black exterior with the red interior. And call me crazy, but I actually like the wires.

26. +1
    Red interior looks awesome in these cars.

27. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Yea I like the wires

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

So what are you doing with the wires ....sell them yet??

29. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I'm gonna keep them for another car or daily driver. You have enought shit Steve!!

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you just like a red interior or do you already have it? Since you asked, I'd explore the black/gray/white interior combination these things had and paint it Hugger Orange with the Fentons, or painted steelies with blackwalls and poverty caps. Just sayin...

If not Hugger Orange, a period, subtle, coppery metallic orange from something in the mid 60s. The three colors we almost always see, red, black and white. I dunno about the rest of you, but I don't like my cars confused with someone elses. Bitchin car. Love bubbletops.