Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfl7171

cfl7171
    from Western NY

Just keep doing what we're doing, it's worked great up till now, ignore those that don't get it.

2. Dans28Tdr

Dans28Tdr

Please keep this thread going. I enjoy it everyday. I own a vintage modified the #98 and although it was rebuilt in the early 90's it still is and embodies my father's car from the late 60's. As a kid I watched the change from coupes/coaches to pintos and gremilns. That's all part of the 60's to 70's modified history.

I will have the car at the Round-up so I look forward to meeting anyone posting on this tread.
    Dan

3. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

sorry guys it is official from the moderator "metal shapes"" I am sad to see such strict rules,,,

<!-- / close content container --><!-- / post #6360612 --><!-- post #6360701 --><!-- open content container -->
    <!-- this is not the last post shown on the page --><TABLE id=post6360701 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid" class=thead><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] Today, 01:02 AM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=thead align=right> #16 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>metalshapes<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6360701", true); </SCRIPT>
    Alliance Member

[​IMG]

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_6360701 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: Misunderstandings about Vintage Stock Car
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->.... And I dont see what the Users on the Oval Track Thread are upset about.

I havent done much as a Mod there yet.

That Thread is not in trouble.

Just hold back a bit on the Pinto's, Vega's, and Arrows etc., and it will be fine.

Unless that Thread will get stuck in the Drama too.

That will kill it.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

5. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

Wow, here comes the Sheriff again!! Going to shoot down another popular site.

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

This is the kind of crap that will get this post locked. Lets get back to posting pictures.

Probably any cars with bodies that were available before the mid 70 will fly just fine. We all know when they started streaching the wheel base out in the mid 70s, the cars began looking different, though they were still modifieds, they no longer look like the ones this thread was set up to show. The web site is designed for 64 and older stuff and they have allowed us to include pictures of cars still using those bodies and some of the early 70s bodies. They offer a location to post more modern cars, but it is not here.

Think of it this way, we have showed up at their race track with our car. If our car does not fit into their rules, we wouldn't expect to be able to race. If we were close to their rules, they might let us run that 1st time, but if we went back, they (and we) would expect us to comply with the track rules. The track rules are 60s, up to the early 70s. If your car was close, you might seek out the owner (or officials) to see if you can run, but the decisions made by them are the last word.

These threads are not the place to debate the rules. They will close the track rather then listen to a bunch of whining crybabies.

Post up pictures that fit the track rules.

BTW, the stock car thread is reopened, as long as it follows the rule book. Gene

7. cfl7171

cfl7171
    from Western NY

I guess I could use some clarification, when the title states; Re: 60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds, that doesn't include a modified that ran or was constructed in 1979?

8. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

I too am curious about this. Not wanting to make waves or risk having the site taken down, but where is it stated that 'Mid-60s or older' (paraphrasing what Metalshapes said previously) content is all that can be posted? I mean the thread clearly stated that the 70s was included almost 4 years ago, so has something changed? I went to the HAMB forum posting rules and found this:

Forum Rules
    Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.
    Although the administrators and moderators of THE H.A.M.B. will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of THE H.A.M.B., nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
    By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
    The owners of THE H.A.M.B. reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason. They also reserve the right to release your personal contact information if and only if you are involved in fraudulent activities with other members.

Am I missing something??

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Please move the Discussion about this to the Questions and Suggestions Forum.

So it will be possible for this Thread to go back to being a Pics Thread again.

Thanks...

10. Metalshapes is not working against this thread. Let's get back to posting photos. I've had pm's with him and he encourages this thread. What happened in another thread was later model stocks were used and it was becoming a regular thing. I ask you to drop the issue as "we" the "60's & 70's Mods" were not involved in that thread. Some how it was brought over here by some people who followed both threads. They had good intentions but everything was blown out of proportion on our thread. Go back and enjoy this thread. If there is a problem bring in a PM or Q&A area. There is no need to continue an argument that doesn't involve us. I ask that nothing be brought up that will hurt this thread as a post.

I want to keep the stories alive for generations, the traditions of the sport. Hot Rods and Modifieds went hand and hand, from the junkyards to the garage to the tracks!

11. Rentawrench

Rentawrench

12. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Rentawrench, You bet I will be there. I'm really looking forward to it, gonna see a lot of old friends. Denny Z

13. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/more/end-of-an-era-nssn-ceasing-publication/

End Of An Era:
    NSSN Ceasing Publication

by NSSN Staff

All good things come to an end.

And so is the case for America&#8217;s Motorsports Authority, National Speed Sport News. After more than 76 years, the publication, which was first published as National Auto Racing News on Aug. 16, 1934, has printed its last issue, dated &#8212; March 23, 2011.

While hundreds of other newspapers came and went during the past three-quarters of a century, NSSN continued to ride the support of its readers and advertisers in producing the most thorough weekly racing publication on the market. But economic times have been tight and the newspaper business has suffered at the hands of high production costs and modern technology, which provides information to readers instantly.

&#8220;This is one of the saddest days of my life,&#8221; said National Speed Sport News Publisher Corinne Economaki. &#8220;The sluggish economy has made it too difficult to continue publication and no matter how I try to make the numbers work &#8212; and believe me I have tried &#8212; it is just not feasible to keep the business going.

&#8220;For 76 years, since August 1934 when my father Chris sold copies of the first issue at Ho-Ho-Kus Speedway in northern New Jersey, to today, as I oversee the very last copy printed, this paper has been an integral part of my family,&#8221; Corinne Economaki said.

Through the years National Speed Sport News was the industry leader in covering motorsports, much of it thanks to Chris Economaki, 90, who sold the first issue of NSSN at Ho-Ho-Kus Speedway in New Jersey, and began writing for the publication soon after that and became editor in 1950.

Economaki saw the publication through its glory days, launching a career on television and taking his newspaper into thousands of homes across America. In a time when there was no Internet and very little racing was on television or radio, National Speed Sport News thrived.

When National Speed Sport News began its run, there were no seat belts, drivers wore leather helmets and the flathead Ford V8 was one of the most common racing engines. Today, safety is the utmost concern and HANS and other safety devices are all the rage. Fuel-injected engines are everywhere.

Not only has technology changed what fans see at the race track, it changed how NSSN gathered the news. In the early years most news arrived at the NSSN office by mail or telephone. Later the telecopier and the fax machine played key roles. Both were replaced by the computer modem and later by e-mail.

NSSN was printed by linotype, but later changed to phototypesetting and finally went completely digital in 2002.

But after enduring all these changes, a familiar friend will no longer appear at the mailboxes of its loyal readers.

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/ , the online version of the newspaper, will continue to be updated with daily news, giving Internet savvy readers the opportunity to keep up with some of the same news they enjoyed every week.

But as far as the newspaper goes, it&#8217;s the end of an era.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  14. Gerry LaVallee

Gerry LaVallee

I finally got my scanner hooked up, I will start with a couple of Lew Boyd

Attached Files:

15. Gerry LaVallee

Gerry LaVallee

Pete Corey at Langhorne

Harry Peek at Fonda

Maynard Forrette at Fonda

Lou Lazzaro at Fonda

Attached Files:

16. Gerry LaVallee

Gerry LaVallee

Lee Millington shots
    I think the 1963 Valiant was run '73 or '74
    The coupe with the haircut was when a car flipped in front of him or should I say over him.

Attached Files:

17. Gerry LaVallee

Gerry LaVallee

1970 Jack Johnson at Fonda

Attached Files:

18. Gerry LaVallee

Gerry LaVallee

Kenny Shoemaker, My favorite car- the fuel injected blue coupe. He would have that thing sideways going past the flagger to make the first turn.

Attached Files:

19. Gerry LaVallee

Gerry LaVallee

Some shots of the Dick Bennett's 71 behind the scenes and "distressed"

Attached Files:

20. Gerry LaVallee

Gerry LaVallee

Fonda had a seperate point category back in the day, Don Wayman was the Ford Track Champion that year.

Attached Files:

21. Gerry LaVallee

Gerry LaVallee

Jim Luke 1959
    Ken Jones, I think it was 1956?
    Robbie Kotary maybe 1965?

Attached Files:

22. Gerry LaVallee

Gerry LaVallee

A couple more shots of Lee Millington, Lee was the driver with the most seat time in the cars over a twenty year span. Always a gentleman, but a tough country boy.

Attached Files:

23. Gerry LaVallee

Gerry LaVallee

Dave Lape's Camaro

Dick Bennett 1967

and that concludes all that I have

Attached Files:

24. Fishburger

Fishburger

I think these were owned by Danbury Connecticut's Hank Natale, Joey May and Mert Reynolds. This car would fly!

25. Bought a converter so I can finally upload my slides. From 1971...

Attached Files:

26. more...

Attached Files:

27. Wall Stadium 1972...

Attached Files:

28. Dans28Tdr

Dans28Tdr

isettajohn,

Great pictures. Is the dirt track Flemington?

Thanks, Dan

29. Yes it is/was...

30. Thank you Gerry and John for sharing, keep up the good work if you have any more!!! Also if you have a lot space them out a bit. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.