Register now to get rid of these ads!

UPS and Paypal warnings.... I hate em both

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Satinblack

Satinblack

I personally have never bought a car sight unseen. I just can't get over how people could do that. Everyones descriptions are so different. Its like buying a guitar without playing it. You can have 10 of the exact same instrument but there is one that always sounds better then the rest!

2. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

perfectly normal for UPS to have 60 day investigation before payment on insurance, I used to ship motorcycle frames for UPS and once a frame was stolen by someone working at UPS... (never found out who) and they pulled the same shit, took a few weeks but my bosse's wife was such a bitch that she got full payment (2300 dollars i think) within 3 weeks i think, but i can tell it would of taken 2 months if she was not such a bitch.

who i would be most mad at is the ebay purchaser who is calling you a liar. can't you email proof of your damage claim to ups or something?

3. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

corporate guys of UPS or fedex don't give a shit. the ceo's give themselves raises for saving money by laying people off and cutting back on shit. a monkey could do that. then after a few years ceo's resign and work for another company before people realize they did not help much. remember the disney ceo about 4 years ago or so? he fired like 35 percent of people to save money, but gave himself a 10 million dollar raise? what the fuck is that?

4. Derek

Derek

Ebay and Paypal both make me nervous. This whole online thing can be pretty iffy if you ask me. Too much information to have to give out. As a buyer I would much rather send a money order, it just seems more secure. As far as shipping? Screw UPS, Fed Ex will work much better and usually cheaper. First of all Fed Ex Ground drivers are not employees, they are contractors, meaning they own the routes themselves. So when something goes wrong on the truck they are directly responsible and it comes out of there checks. This makes them much more responsible with your package, it makes them care because an undelivered or damaged package is money out of their pocket and their route. The tracking seems to work that much better too, because it gets scanned at each stop it makes. From the place you send it, to the bulk truck, at the terminal and at the delivery truck. It just seems like a better idea to me. they are talking about making them all employees but that will take some serious time and money. There are a lot of routes to be bought back, so I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Anyway, just my thoughts and, Uncle scooby, I'm sorry that this happened to you. Corporate America sucks and they know it. I will give them as little as possible.

5. oldkid

oldkid
    from smyrna tn

google is your friend.
    type "paypal' into google search & read with horror all the sites about how they lie,cheat & steal your money. they had a class action suit filed against them which i believe they lost.
    as far as shipping damages, i take a digital photos of stuff i ship(FedEx) before i seal the box, print it, & put it in the box with a note that says "here's what it looked like when it left here."

you know the boston tea party was organized because of less shit than we put up with nowadays...mel

6. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

"I sold my Ford FE 6x2 intake on Ebay. It was a complete unit, rebuilt carbs, linkage etc... Beautiful. Shipped it UPS and it got damaged. No problem. Full insurance through UPS. That has been more than two months ago. No payment from UPS...still in "investigation phase". They can get a box from Indiana to Indonesia overnight but 60 plus days to look at a damaged package? Anyway, after about a week, the buyer decided he didn't want to wait for UPS to pay the claim so he filed a complaint with Paypal (how he paid me) saying that the product was misrepresented (it wasn't...it was just damaged)."

You really can't blame this guy. He probably doesn't know you from Adam,but what he does know is that he is out his money to a stranger and received goods he can't use. As for his claim with PayPal,he is a victim of their system,same as you. Claiming it was misrepresented is proobably the only option he had to try to get his money back.

I also see YOUR point. You are also out the money,plus you don't even have the damaged intake and carbs so you can salvage what you can from it to try and sell to recover some of your money. It's lose/lose for everybody.

"So before contacting me or anything, Paypal froze my account and all money in it. I only had about $846.00 in there and the claim is more than that."

None of my business and I REALLY ain't trying to rub salt in a wound,but why in the world would anybody keep that much money in a PayPal account? My PayPal account has a balance of ZERO at this time. I add money when I need to pay for things,and sometimes I have a small balance in there from a refund,overpayment,or payment for a item I have sold,but that'ts it.

BTW,while we are on this subject. Anybody in business who doesn't have a seperate PayPal account AND a seperate checking account for that PayPal account to draw from is playing Russian Roulette. IF somebody hacks PayPal's system for your password,they can drain ALL the money out out your account,leaving you well and truly screwed.

" That has been over three weeks now and Paypal has no phone number...everything is E-mail."

Of course not. They are owned by EBay.

"It is still in "arbitration""

What this means is that PayPal is waiting around for somebody at UPS to go out of their way to contact them and tell them what is happening. No way in hell is EBay or PayPal going to hire actual humans to deal with their clients. That costs money,and they only have billions.

"I can't pay the guy, he's got the parts, "

Have you tried contacting him and offering to send him a notarized letter saying you acknowledge the balance of the debt to him,and that if he will mail you the intake,carbs,and linkage by insured US Mail that you will pay him the balance once UPS settles with you? I have no idea what the balance is,but he really can't expect you to dig into your pocket to pay off a insurance claim while he is still holding the merchandise and has already been paid almost 900 bucks. There has to be a way to work this out for both of you.

"UPS has paid nothing,"

Of course not. They have a reputation for not paying. The only thing more evil than UPS is Fed Ex.I just THOUGHT I hated UPS unitl Fed Ex came along. I am to the point with them now that if I buy something from you and you insist on sending it to me via Fed Ex,I tell you to keep it. There just ain't anything I want bad enough to see them make money from me.

"Paypal has an additional $846 of my money"

What the hell do THEY care? It ain't THEIR money.

"and everyone is pissed."

Everyone has a right to be pissed.

" Then they proceed to ship it to some chick named Latoya Mitchell in Florida instead of David in New Jersey."

Repeat after me,"UPS is evil".

"I call UPS screaming and they "no sweat, we'll pick it up, REPACKAGE it if neccessary, and send it to the right place and refund your shipping"."

That guy has probably been fired by now.

" Still no resolution from UPS. The store now is trying to claim that the damage is a result of poor packaging on my end when it was shipped to Florida and that it might not be covered by insurance. "

Repeat after me,"UPS is evil".

" Then UPS told Slag that he should pursue his money back from me through PAYPAL."

Of course. They want him to do this so they can get out of paying off your insurance claim to them.

" I told UPS today that I am doing all those things if I don't have resolution today."

They don't really care. They have in-house attorney's who are already on their payroll,so it doesn't cost them any extra to go to court,and they know they can USUALLY beat the rap because it would cost most people more to take them to court than they would recover from the insurance claim.

" What good is insurance from UPS?"

Works out really well for UPS. The collect the money for the insurance,and never pay out. Waddadeal!

"On top of this, I still have the deal going with ex-Hamber 1evil51 that took my cadillac 6x2 and carbs in trade, never sent his stuff, and never has returned mine. Two months ago also and another $600 and lots of empty promises so far."

Did you mail it through the post office,or did you send it by Satan? If you mailed it,sic the postal inspectors on him for mail fraud. A federal offense,and a felony. Those bad boys don't care if it is a case of a dime or a million bucks being stolen,they get paid the same either way,and they WILL lock your ass up..

" More importantly, I never did anything wrong."

This is the part that hurts. You can kind of take your lumps if you are even a tiny bit at fault,but when you are blameless it's a killer.

"Slag has been patiently waiting for six weeks and is out parts and money too"

This is a guy who would make a good friend.

"which is even more money unless UPS does what they are supposed to do."

Plan on paying out some money to the attorney. OR you might consider taking your local UPS office to small claims court ? You might get lucky and get a judge who has been screwed by UPS himself. It would save you attorney's fees,anyhow.

"The point of this rambling is that I've learned that UPS is worthless"

Bingo!

" Don't take Paypal payment from anybody for anything because all they have to do is say "item not as described" ,whether it is true or not, and Paypal will zap the money right back out of your account before you know about it and hold it indefinitely while it's in "arbitration" with no human contact."

I take PayPal payments for small items,and take PayPal payments for things like 200 dollar down payments. I always want the rest in either cash or USPS money order. I don't even trust cashiers checks or non-USPS money orders anymoe because of the scam artists. Anybody dumb enough to run off counterfiet USPS money orders IS agoing to federal prison. They won't never quit looking for you.

" My advise....Take money orders only and use the US Mail who actually pays their claims. My two cents. "

I can tell you from personal experience that the USPS don't exactly pay out their insurance claims with blinding speed,either. The good news is that they DO pay them. Always.

Here is the real deal,folks. Keep a minimum balance in your PayPal account,and use a checking account dedicated to that PayPal account. Deposit money as needed. If it ain't there,neither PayPal nor any hacker can take it out.

Only accept small payments though PayPal. Your idea of small is probably different than mine,but I usually don't take over 200 bucks. In my own case I do this because I now accept the fact that I will never transfer money out of my PayPal account to my checking account. I will always spend whatever is in there on more stuff from EBAY.

Secondly,ship stuff using the USPS if at all possible. Most of you will be surprised to find you can ususally save 30-50% on shipping over UPS rates if you use insured parcel post,and it will get to you quicker than if UPS carried it. The post office moves mail and packages on weekends,and UPS doesn't.

Here are a couple of recent examples. I had a 33 Plymouth front fender mailed to me in NC from Florida last month. UPS wanted it boxed,and they wanted $70 for shipping via UPS Ground. The guy just did as I suggested and wrapped it in bubblewrap,taped a address card to it,and called the post office to have them come pick it up. Yes,they DO come pick up packages now. Mailing cost was $27.

Just bought a set of Y-Block 4 barrel breather. The guy was going to UPS it to me,and wanted $33.10 for shipping. I convinced him to use the post office,and insured shipping was $19.95

Finally,for items that cost more than a few bucks,pay them using a USPS money order. If they cash the money order and don't send the item to you,they just committed mail fraud. This also protects the seller because he knows the payment he just got isn't bogus.

Same thing with payments going to you. If you get a USPS money order in,you know the money is going to be there. You can no longer trust even cashiers checks any further than a personal check can be trusted.

" I have been stressed out of my mind trying to get resolution for Slag and the guy that bought my 6x2 for the last 6-8 weeks and in trying to deal with 1Evil51 for 8 weeks. Now the paint thing."

You're doing ok. I'd probably be barking at and biting the neighbors dog.

7. Satinblack

Satinblack

FEDEX!!! They have screwed me, not UPS. Them taking the money from the driver might be why the guy who dropped off my package rang the doorbell and ran. Before I could even look at the package and say hey wait we need to check this...(because it looked like it was ran over). He was long gone. I couldnt even see what he looked like. Sad thing is he wasnt even the one that damaged it apparently, but he was the poor soul that had to drop it off. Don't know who had to pay for my claim, but it was 2-3 months of pain in the ass, thats for sure. I got to know my UPS guy pretty good. He's a real nice guy and if ever something came thru him he would definetly stick up for me. I suggest you do the same. Have the wife make him some cookies or a christmas care package or something. It will help you out sometime in the future. At least UPS has the same driver come to my house. FEDEX is always someone different so you can't get to know them. Satin

8. hatch

hatch
    from house

Fedex and Western Union....all I use and trouble free.

9. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

...................where's "Clark??" ("SoWhat") He used to fuck up packages for UPS for a living........................:D

10. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

At least your broken stuff arrived my stuff keeps disappering how do you lose a 2'x3' box

11. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

>>Ebay scares the crap out of me. <<

Why? There is nothing they can do to you if you are careful. I've bought lots of stuff on ebay that I would have never found otherwise,including a couple of cars.

"Buddy of mine bought a car through it. Guy advertised it as a....I'm thinking Superbee...but it was some sort of rare mopar. So he paid for it. Got a decent deal on it. When the car showed up it was a clone. He paid probably 2x/3x more than it was worth."

This ain't a couple of bucks we are talking about. When you are spending that kind of money you need to either have a professional appraiser from that area or someone you know personally check the car out for you before you ever pay it off. Worse comes to worse,buy a airline ticket and fly there on a weekend to check it out in person and pay it off. Make a deposit using PayPal or Overnight Express from the post office,and then go look at the car before you pay it off.

12. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

"I personally have never bought a car sight unseen."

I've made deposits on them until I could go look in person and pay them off,but the only one I've ever paid off iin full unseen only cost 500 bucks,and a friend of mine looked at it for me.

"Everyones descriptions are so different."

Even more important,two people can have very different honest opinions about the condition and value of a car. I know a guy who has a unrestored beater 69 Ford 3x4 ton van who thinks it is more valuable than my 32 coupe "because they only made 1,000 of them". He's serious,too.

13. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

You wouldn't be able to use either with me. I flat refuse to even allow Fed Ex in my yard,and I would have to drive 50 miles one way to cash a Western Union money order.

14. brandon

brandon

I Am Just About Finished With A Deal Like This Off Of The Bay ......had A New Bitchin Dash I Sold ...that The Buyer Claimed Was Damaged In Route.....i File The Claim......the Guys Ups Driver Picks Up The Dash Out Of The Box ....and Takes Both Pieces....1 Piece Ends Up Back At My Place ....after Ups Says They Will Not Cover It Since It Is Out Of A Box....i Metal Finish The Damage ...ship It Back .....he Calls ...were Is The Other Piece....what Other Piece....? Turns Out The Driver Took Both Pieces.....only One Tracking Number .....the Piece Vanishes.....the Guy Throws The Pay Pal Police On Me ....wanting Cash Back ....i Go Thru The Mediation Deal On This ....finally Get Pay Pal Off My Back .....then I Have To Jump Thru Hoops With Ups On The Claim ....and Now The Lost Piece......after Most Of This Is All Said And Done....it Took 5 Months To Make Them Say They Made A Mistake And Lost The Piece.....but They Would Only Cover What The Peice Sold For ....not The Replacement Value.....pretty Much Sucks.....ups Now Uses A Claims Company To Deal With The Loses And Such .....not Real Happy With Either .....brandon

15. Satinblack

Satinblack

LOL, yea and with it in debate for 5 months they made the money back on interest from some great investment that us little guys don't and will never know about, LOL

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I hate companies that rely on email as Customer Service and does not have a phone number. I had an issue with ebay and it took weeks to resolve. The paypal thing scares me now..

17. FedEx Ground SUCKS as far as I'm concerned!

Bought a brand new, in the box, Walker Max-cool with condenser for my 40 off e-gay for $400!! Quite a savings, eh? Had pictures of front and back of the box and radiator; pristine condition.

Not after F**k-Ex got through with it. Guy delivering tried to slide it in until I showed him the tear in the box. Opened it and the condenser was hit on the corner. He said to refuse the shipment and file a claim. WRONG! Should have kept it.

A month later, after it had gone through two terminals, I finally got a call from FedEx Express (the airplane people, not Ground) wanting to know what they were doing with it, and did I want it delivered. Hell yes!

Well the thing was beat to shit; core smashed, brackets bent, tanks bent, condenser smashed!! A small ding in the condenser was nothing compared to this.

Filed a claim for the dealer replacement price, sent pictures, documentation,
    made I don't know how many phone calls, and it still took them 6 months to refund my money. But the pricks had a way out....the shipper stated the value at $400 instead of $549. Yes I got my $400 back finally, but certainly can't replace it for that.

Lesson learned: Ship by someone who won't demolish your stuff!! NOT FXG

I would have been better off to have kept it the first time and bought a condenser.

18. hatch

hatch
    from house

Do you live fifty miles from a grocery store?...If you do, Western union delivers money orders to your mailbox....and I use fedex ALOT and have never had a problem.....I've sold parts to people in russia, italy, england,etc...all trouble free.

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've had just as many problems with Fed-Ex and DHL as UPS. As a matter of fact we will no longer allow packages to be shipped via DHL at work, they were that bad.... UPS has been much more consistant for mme than the others... mileage may vary...

20. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

We ship out anywhere between 250 to 400 packages a day with Oops. (UPS) Overall, they are pretty good for us. I will admit that shit gets beat up on purpose.... ESPECIALLY anything with the over 75# tape on it.

Getting a claim taken care of is hell.... even with the volume we ship.

Their customer service is quick to say 'I'm sorry' but can't seem to do anything about it.

We just grin and bare it...

21. You know, this stuff probably belongs in the tech-o-matic since so many people here use all these pricks to swap stuff around.

I use UPS on stuff over 3 lbs because it's usually cheaper, including things like stainless steel side trim and occasionally an antique radio, the tube type - some of those sell for pretty decent bucks.

Stainless goes in PVC pipe or drain tubes, wrapped in plastic. Radios get wrapped in plastic too, and I've been using expanding foam insulation to pack the stuff tight. So far, no problems, knock on wood, but those old radios I double box, too, with more padding to protect the inside box. I applied in a FedEx terminal and got a look at what goes on there... the stuff is routed on these conveyors and occasionally a box falls 15 feet to the concrete floor below. If your stuff isn't packed to survive that happening about 15 times, it's probably going to see some damage. I got a Zenith shortwave radio with one whole end panel of the case missing to the west coast through some miracle intact - no longer have the boxes my welder came in, but I guess I don't need 'em anymore. I'm sure UPS is the same way - you get paid to put the boxes on trucks, not make sure they're in the right place and not getting smashed to hell, so the employees don't care. On the bright side, it would be harder to steal through FedEx - everyone has to go into a gate through a metal detector and all this shit, the security guard is going to wonder why you're carrying car parts out with you.

-----------------------------

PayPal - sometimes it's just the easiest thing to use. I try to use it for overseas buyers only, and I tell them 'this is how much it will cost me to take a paypal from you. eBay won't let me charge you up front, so it's your choice if you want to pay that too' - usually they give it to me.

So here's how to keep these assholes from screwing you. Tie it to your bank account one-way only, or to a dedicated bank account. Every time money comes in, transfer it out to the bank account. If they can take money from that account, transfer it out of there to an account they can't touch. I'd put that little detail right into my auctions, too, so people see that they might screw Paypal, but won't touch you. I had a guy tie up $140 on me last month because his package wasn't arriving quite fast enough - turned out the stainless was too big for drain tube and I had to go out and buy a piece of round PVC for it, so I couldn't ship it the same day he paid. I only got out of it when he dropped the claim, although I did submit the tracking to Paypal I think it would have been 2 months. Meanwhile, I filed a claim for something else, and have heard nothing on it in weeks. I just hope the seller's account is tied up on it, they deserve it (long story).

Someone mentioned they had an account suspended for bad contact info - I always check this out when someone is causing a problem. It's not that big of a deal - you update the info, you get the account back, but a seller loses all their auctions into thin air - they're gone, they can't just relist them or anything. I've had a couple of them shut down just on the basis of a link to a reverse phone search showing no results for the number.

Does anyone live close to this guy who didn't live up on his end of the swap on the carb setup? Someone needs to go knock on his door, or have a lawyer buddy call him up and ask about it.

22. HoldFast

HoldFast

update to my person fight with fedex.

They did right by me today. I got contacted by people in 3 different sites. I just got contacted by the girl that was helping me yesterday to make sure I got it.

I decided to sit out front of the building at wait. So I went to get coffee across the street..I turned around just in time to see the green logo (ground) rolling to a stop in front of the building. Ran in front of two cars and in front of him just as he was about to pull away without even getting out of the truck.

I guess he was scared of getting towed.

Anyway you look at it. I got my package. It's huge. I hurt my dang back carrying it from where he left it to my desk. He apparently didn't understand all the way to the back and just put it down next to the bathroom.

But I'm happy....I don't think the night commuters on the train are gonna be. Haaaaaaaa.

Best of luck with your deal man. I am going to be very very careful with dealing with paypal in the future. As it is I avoid it as much as possible and never deal with ebay.

Let us know how it goes.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Unclescooby, I dumped UPS years ago! They lost several race car items on me and I never got a penny back from them, PLUS they are the most arrogant people I've ever met!! Do yourself and your customers a big lifechanging favor and ship FedEx GROUND!!!! They charge about half what UPS costs, and they are friendly caring people to deal with. PAYPAL? Don't get me started, I saw that as a scam from day one. Money orders and personal checks have all worked fine for me, I get 100% of the selling price and don't have to give a cut to PayPal.

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Already been said but needs repeated..

If you use paypal. Never keep any funds in it.
    Always keep an eye on your account and transfer it out as soon as it arrives. They can't freeze or take anything when its not available to them.

I had them do it to me once. Luckily it was only 8 bucks. Best 8 bucks I ever spent.
    I hope things go together for you. That really is terrible. PJ

25. racer5c

racer5c

There is a reason that UPS sucks...they can't fire anyone...The teamsters have negotiated a sugar daddy deal with UPS and basically they can't fire anyone...they have to be caught stealing somthing to get written up and even then if it is less than 500 bucks they won't get fired....if they damage you product tough shit your fault.

obviously you don't know anything about UPS or the teamsters union, UPS is totally fire crazy they love to fire people, the Teamsters union doesn't back anyone who works there, all they care about is collecting dues, I have worked there for over 16 yrs, if they THINK you stole something as small as a piece of gum your out the door PERIOD. They fire people for "stealing time" all the time. Have an accident bam your fired, even if the police report says your not at fault. Like I said I have worked there for over 16 years and have seen it all first hand.

26. Judd

Judd

Why would they be in a hurry to serve you? The longer they keep your money the longer they draw intrest on it at their bank. If they treat a million people the same way they make a bundle.

27. Clark

Clark

obviously you don't know anything about UPS or the teamsters union, UPS is totally fire crazy they love to fire people, the Teamsters union doesn't back anyone who works there, all they care about is collecting dues, I have worked there for over 16 yrs, if they THINK you stole something as small as a piece of gum your out the door PERIOD. They fire people for "stealing time" all the time. Have an accident bam your fired, even if the police report says your not at fault. Like I said I have worked there for over 16 years and have seen it all first hand.[/QUOTE]

Racer5....Thank You!!...you are right I was with UPS for 18 years. I destroyed my back working 12 hour days and had to leave UPS. Sucks!! I liked the job it's the corporate bozo's that suck.

They give the drivers 14 hours worth of work and expect it done in 10. Beleive me I've delivered shit as late as 10pm. That's why nobody at UPS cares anymore.

The only thing I can say about damages is keep the packaging and take pictures. You can have the driver mark in his DIAD that the package is damaged but it really doesn't do any good. The guys making the decisions would rather play golf than do their jobs! No Kidding!!

Hell I left UPS in November and I'm still trying to get my sick and vacation pay. I call 3 or 4 times a week and I keep getting the run around. Luckily I have the union to go after them. I shoulda went to the union two months ago.

I think all the shipping companies are about the same. They all screw up.

Something else to watch for with UPS. They like to add charges even if they are not supposed to. They'll say something weighs more or is bigger than it is and will add charges to your bill. Also watch out for residential and rural surcharges. UPS is getting real sneaky.

All in all UPS used to be the best. Corporate America took over a good company and is screwing it up. I would bet the founder of UPS is rolling over in his grave with the bullshit they are pulling!
    Clark

28. trey

trey

i thought about doing the same. but i dont have a lawyer, or the money for one.

trey

29. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

If Food Lion sells them I sure never heard about it. Plus if somdbody uses one to pay me,the grocery store wouldn't cash it for me.

30. Lionheart

Lionheart

Everyone Of The Shippers 'suck', Even Fed-ex. They Are All Corporate Giants, But Like Any Chain, No Stronger Then Their Weakest Link, Which Is Some Underpaid Person, That Ends Up Not Giving A Fuck About Any Care Given To Your Package.

I Have Used All Of Them, Including Greyhound, And You Are At The Mercy Of That Weakest Link With All Of Em. Because Of That, They Have So Many Claims, They Have To Place The Blame On 'us'.

I Have Not Had One Problem With Stuff I Ship, Because I Spend Quite A Bit Of Time Making Sure It Is Packed With Enough Protection To Take What The Weakest Link Can Do To It.

I Have, However, Received Stuff That Was Broken, And Most Of The Time, It Was Not Protected Good Enough To Make The Tough Journy.

I Agree, You Should't Have To Spend That Much Time Over-protecting The Goods, But, Once Bitten-twice Shy. Some Of You Guys Need To Spend More Time Boxing Your Goods, If You Want To Avoid The Hassels And-or Give A Shit That The Buyer Gets Your Parts In One Piece. These Boxes Are Going To Go Through Hell, No-matter Who You Ship With. !!!!!!!!! It's A Cruel Fucking World.