Register now to get rid of these ads!

Much value to a Chevy 348??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Jan 18, 2011.

1. I am in the proccess of working a deal on another car project. The seller is including a 348 block, heads and intake. The block has been dipped and maxnafluxed and cam bearings installed. The heads still need to be done. I'm not a big block guy and am wondering if I should try and buy the car without the motor OR get it with the 348 and flip it for some $$. I know nothing about these so hopefully someone here can give me some insight. Thanks, Todd

2. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Once a 348 is installed in a car it can't be told from a 409, so I would say for anybody considering the W-block look it would definitely have some value.

3. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Buy it and flip it if you have no interest.
    However that said, The cool factor is a lot higher for one of those vs. a sbc. Also the amount of a rebuild is higher but a lot cheaper than when I did my first one back in '81. What is the car you are dealing on?

4. ironwork

ironwork
    from maine

let me know what you want for it if you get it i go to montville ct alot

5. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

it has no value. Pay me $50 and I'll dispose of it for ya

6. I'll take it if you pay me $25

7. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

The oil dip stick is on different sides.

8. Rodshop57

Rodshop57
    from Berry Ky

The 348 truck oil pan has the dipstick on the same side as a 409.

9. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

I have a 348 in my 28 ford sedan. I got 300 hp and I love it. Has great sound and looks pretty cool. There is a site for 348 409 s its www.348-409.com all the info you will ever need about these engines. Heres a shot of mine

Attached Files:

10. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

First year '58 blocks and heads have less value due reduces water passages. Get the block and head numbers from the site sixpac mentioned above. Good Luck!

11. Squablow

Squablow

Block, heads, and intake, is there a crank? Main bearing caps? No exhaust manifolds, rockers, valve covers, oil pan, any of that shit?

If it's pretty bare the engine won't bring more than $300 unless they're the big valve heads, and as stated, '58 stuff isn't as good as 59-61. More complete engines have some decent value as cores but missing everything is going to make it a tougher sale.