Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old B & M Shifter Date of Mfg.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tomcat11, Dec 6, 2010.

1. tomcat11

tomcat11

I wonder if anyone could tell me what year this shifter was introduced and is it all that rare? I had one from the late 70's but the cover was different. This one is more rounded on the corners and does'nt have reverse lock out.

Thanks,
    Tom

[​IMG]

2. Italianrich

Italianrich

early 70's. saw one on ebay go for well over 200.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

B&M Quick-Click. Wont pass tech at most tracks, but if your building a "gasser", thats probably not important. Think I probably have 4-5 of them so I dont know if I would call them rare. Made throughout the '70s and well into the eighties.

4. tomcat11

tomcat11

Ya I did quite abit of drag racing in the 80's & 90's so I know it would'nt pass tech. But a street gasser is what I'm building now.

I gotta ask what your doin with 5 of these things? Gonna sell them some day? Put them into cars?

P.S. Is this the very first version of a Quick Click?

5. Deuces

Deuces

I think B&M still has those for street duty... Ya might want to look it up......

6. junkyardkat

junkyardkat

I had one early 80's the threaded part of the cable liked to break on the shifter handle.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I really dont like them, honestly they are rather cheaply made. two of them were in cars I bought back in the day, I replaced one of them with a series 60, and one with a Fairbanks shifter, WAY nicer piece. Not sure if theres 4 of them or 5, I would have to dig through my stash, one came in a box of old Stewart Warner gauges I bought at a swap meet years ago, mostly because there was a nice SW cable tach in the box and a couple of old "green stripes". It was one of those "Take the whole box for $50" deals, IIRC there were also a couple of old sun gauges, and a Stewart Warner 150 mph speedo. Probably $350/$400 worth of stuff, a real steal. Couple others just kind of turned up, cant really remember now, I do some head porting and stuff, sometimes guys would give me boxes of parts & so on.

PS. Yes, as far as I know.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I wouldn't use one on a ford or mopar product, like most "universal' shifters the distance between reverse and park is incorrect for a ford or mopar trans, and the park pin wont fully engage. I have seen cars at the track with "universal" shifters roll down the trailer ramps with the park pin clacking.

9. tomcat11

tomcat11

PS. Yes, as far as I know.[/QUOTE]

I figure this one has to be very early issue due to the style of the cover and the straight stick. Maybe this is the next one in line after the series-60. I did see one with the later cover and without the rev lock out. So I believe there were at least 3 versions.

I'd just like to pin down the year. Could they have made these in the late 1960's?

Anyone got a really old catolog?

p.s. I'm aware of the park paw problem.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'll see what I can come up with. I am thinking '71-'72 here, but the older I get, the less I should think...

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The Series 60 and the quick-click were both available new at the same time, but the Series 60 originally came out long before the Quick-Click, but you probably know that.

12. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

I had a thread about these awhile back and from what I was told,the QC came out in 1975.

13. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

i was looking for one about a year ago, actually found 4 gave 2 away for street gasser projects have one in my nova period correct but as said here before wont pass teck but look great .i actually have the next version looks like the one you have pictured but the handleis slightly curved and has a red reverse lockout.anyway i am looking for the shift ball that has B/M in it if any one has one id love to buy it and i may be interested in selling the shifter i spoke of thanks oh almost forgot i believe it was built in 1974 or 1975

14. Normbc9

Normbc9

I had ten of those on a floor mount tower as a gear selector for Allison Mt-40 series transmissions on our fire engines in 1962. They were provide by B & M directly to the chassis manufacturer who was Crown Fire Coach in Los Angeles.
    Normbc9

15. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Stupid question, but do they fit powerglide application? DSC_2659.jpg !