Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Fairlane Skyliner... The Retractable Hardtop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Very cool! Reminds me of the Jetson's. The sales video and the photo's of the test mule are killer. I wonder how many other mules/concepts Ford has stashed away up in Dearborn.

2. rixrex

rixrex

I've always been on the hunt for a ragged out parts car so I can use all the parts and pieces to turn my 59 Edsel into a retractable!...hey, I can dream, right?....

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

These always make me think of the Felsen novel Crash Club. The main character’s parents buy a new “flip top” Ford with the “rat gear” to try and entice him away from hot rods. He ends up crashing it into a box car and killing one of his passengers.

At least I assumed that “flip top” meant the retractable. Still not clear what the “rat gear” was. A 4.11:1 ratio?

-Dave

4. Bought mine from San Antonio two years ago, newer restored roof works great and the car runs fantastic. One owner from 58 to 98 and a few after, Love the car!

[​IMG]
    Lars

5. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

Wanted one since I was 14, (won't say when that was!) and after 10 years of asking (3 years just to get him to answer the door!), In 2007, I bought this one out of a field where it sat since 1980, just 3 miles from my house. It is in that pic buried in the bushes/trees. Had to move a couple 70s Caddys, fence, cut down 2 trees and 10' of hedge. That's the former owner Len next to the truck. The day I get it running, I went to his house and allowed him to drive it. He shed some subtle tears when we got back.

After 27 years outside in the dirt, all I did to operate the top was replace one top screw jack that had rusted in place and BZZZZZZZZZZZZzzz, she works fine. Rebuilt everything mechanical from front end to the rear end. 352ci (will have a '63 3x2 setup one day) Cruise-O, Pwr brakes/steering & now an ARC record player, dual exhaust and Torque-Thrust wheels. The ONLY rust was a 3"x4" section on the lower front fender and everything but the clock works. I love Colorado!

Attached Files:

6. moefuzz

moefuzz

These were beautiful cars and well engineered as were all Ford Family cars.

Thanks for posting.

7. ShortBus

ShortBus

8. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

The retractable hardtop was a cool idea. Here are some real oldies but goodies....

Attached Files:

9. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Wonder if anyone chopped one?? Pics. ??

10. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

I don't see the top fitting back into the truck if were chopped.

My latest project at work has been going though and fixing a top on a 64 Convertible Thunderbird.

It wouldn't have been as mush of a headache as it has been, save for the fact that someone else was in there that apparently had -no- idea what they were doing.

This guy also managed to break all of the gauges. Took them apart to try and figure out why they weren't working. Hmm, jackass, all of them aren't working, maybe you should have checked the power supply before taking the gauges apart and breaking the needles. It almost looks like he just poked around in them with a screw driver, decided they weren't fixable, put them back together and sold the car to the current owner.

11. come on now, it's only electrical :D. I think the cushman 36v cart I worked on today was more complicated. I worked on a '59 for a customer in the 90's and it was harder to find parts.

Attached Files:

12. Eagle Beach

Eagle Beach
    from Cambridge

I want to restore a 1959 ford fairlane skyliner project car. Needs complete resto, engine rebuild. Any tips on the V8 engine rebuild. ?
    Also any diagrams of these engines or online free downloads etc, to get tech info?
    I noticed the packard forum has everything you want.