Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bert Bloomquist Images part 3: The Mill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 13, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
    kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  2. raven

raven

Man what is the engine in pic number 8?
    r

3. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Great shots. Is that a reverse flow flattie on the bottom left? I'll take them all!

4. Great variety of motors and applications. Wonderful history in all the photos you have shared. Thanks.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I really like looking at all the odd ball stuff like Voltage Regulators, Spark plug wire placement, Oil Filters. That's all the stuff I am going through with my '35 right now so I love to see pics of engine bays to give me ideas. Thanks!!

6. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Love the headers on pic 12.

8. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

28Hiboy,

I think that is a Cad

9. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

Is that a tractor grill shell in the title picture? It looks like a Farmall to me.

10. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

#8 is a Cad/LaSalle, could be the early '30's V8 since it shared the 60 degree archetecture with the V12 and V16. Later in the '30's Cad/LaSalle went to a 90 degree flathead to reduce costs.

I believe #11 is a Pontiac straight 8.

11. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

The one on the bottom left looks like the late 30's Cad/LaSalle V8: flathead but the exaust exited from the top of the block. Bigger motor than a Ford but no speed parts to speak of, and lots heavier. Cad used this one until the OHV V8 in '49. Lots of hot rods used it but the exhaust was always 'in the way'.

12. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

I like the last one: a supercharger with a single carb, stock exhaust manifolds, and chrome acorn nuts! The rebuilder plate looks like it says 'Coach Maintenance Inc.". Could this have been a bus/truck engine?

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Neat group of photos, but that can't be a Farmall because those were never used. Traditionnally.:)

Stogy likes this.
  14. Can't say whether or not that's a truck engine, but the blower's an early McCulloch. I've always wanted to find one of those beasts.

15. Great pics Jay, Thanks again.

this looks like a Riley SOHC V8
    [​IMG]

lead pic is Don Blair's The Goat, blower is prewar Mercedes. Car was built and ran by the Spalding bros prewar it also ran Riley OHV heads.
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  16. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

As good as sex going through these.

17. gtharp

gtharp

Wish more guys would have taken pictures like these way back when.

18. Labold

Labold

This has been one of my favorite posts in a long time.
    Hell, at least since yesterday anyway.

19. Rikster

Rikster

Fantastic photos... I'm so glad that these get shared here.

The engines are so nice. And the photos are so much nicer than the modern stuff.

I always love to look in the backgrounds, trying to spot the early custom cars.

20. autobilly

autobilly

Great pic's! I'm really enjoying this series, thanks.

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BTTT...reality checks are awesome and necessary to remember the diversity of the world of Hotrod/Custom/Race we are celebrating...thanks @Jive-Bomber...great series on a fantastic Photographer...

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jimmy do you have any more pics of this Hotrod The Goat of Don Blair's?...particularly from the front...;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Paging @Jimmy B...Question for you...;)...I know you're out in the Newly finished Roadster...I understand...:D

24. Yes!

Stogy likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh Boy...Could you share?...I am just curious this thread has some really really wild rides...I'm thinking it's really Un-typical...but I could be wrong...

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blair-Detail.jpg

Thank You Jimmy...
    I would never doubt this is not the Hotrod pictured coming from you but in the thread pic there appears to be a shell and someone mentioned Tractor...do you know or see what I'm mentioning because the pics you have shown look very flat and we know these were actually Jalopy Racers and reconfigured a lot.

This to me is of course not a negative at all but actually a clearer understanding of History that is often skewed...
    it is what it is...;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  27. Car started as the Splading bros modified they even ran it with OHV Riley heads. they put the Mercedes blower on the car. They ran it after the war but sold it shortly after. In the Aug. 18 1946 SCTA program Elmer Lebert is named as running #29 he was an Almega member. Car at this time ran the T body. Once Don Blair purchased the car he rebuilt the car in more familiar body and grille shell. The grille is likely made from a gas tank from a early 20s Willys Overland this was common in the 30s as they had a similar shape to the Miller grilles

Stogy likes this.
  28. correction the grille is tractor or something similar, the early 20s Willys Overland tanks was commonly used but not on the Goat

48fordnut and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is great history Jimmy...I will keep my eyes open for a pic in that config I'd like to see it...

48fordnut likes this.