Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wanted!!! 1964/65 Ford Falcon A/FX Pics!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FAST EDDIE'S HOT ROD SHOP, Nov 24, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;it seems like most pictures of these two Falcons are after they went altered wheelbase,straight axle and injectors.That is a cool photo. ROY.

2. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, if we didn't beat on Eddie, he would feel like an outcast. He has some real cool cars, and he is a ton of fun, but when he hands you a loaded gun.... One must pull the trigger!

I told him to stop being a puss, and build thta Cyclone into and AFX'er, and put his speed shop on the map!

3. Falconred

Falconred

Looks like Howard treed old Hubert. I would have loved to have seen that race. Falcons forever.

Falconred

Deuces likes this.
  4. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I'm with you Falconred I wish I was there watching that race.Can you imagine the match race best out of three.I'm sure there was a fair share of behind the scene jawing going also.

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Yea,Eddie makes an easy target!!!I hope he and Ken can get out to California this year or maybe I can make it up to Colorado to the Ford Show.Hopefully I can keep my junk running this year!!!Two 4speeds and one ring&pinion last year,Drag Racing is Fun!!!! ROY.

6. Falconred

Falconred

I think that the Strip Teaser sneaked in there with short injectors before Platt. Look at the front of the bubble on the Strip Teaser, it has been opened up. They ran it that way for a while before going to the taller injector stacks.

7. 6bblbird

6bblbird
    from New Jersey

This is a great thread. I just love these cars. Can any of you help me find some photos of the '65 A/FX front leaf spring suspension? It would help me a lot!
    Thanks
    WF

8. 65COMET

65COMET

WF;I think there is one or two on the 64 and 65 Comet thread.I have an article here if I can find it.Basically it was a 1/4 elliptic leaf spring with a mount on the frame and a mound on the lower A-arm.They came up with that for more engine bay room. ROY.

9. DDlova

DDlova
    from Virginia

6bblbird is pretty much after the same information i'm looking for too. good pics of the twisted leaf set-up that shows the whole suspension and the frame mount.

i'm also after pics of the rear suspensions and frame modifications on the A/FX Mustangs for '65

Dave

10. Falconred

Falconred

This is on a Mustang but is the same basic design.

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  11. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

The first image is the front end on the Wild Child as installed over the winter of 65-66 by Rankin Ford. They used a 39 Ford front axle and elliptical spring. Somewhere in the early 70's, disk brakes from a Ford truck were added. In 1966 it was offset about 12" forward from stock when they ran the 427 wedge in the stock position. For 1967, when the SOHC motor was installed set back, the front end was brought back 4" leaving ti still about 8" forward of the stock position.

The rear end was slid forward on rear springs 8" and a beefy set of traction bars built. It has an air bag on the right side.

Joe

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  12. You know it's gonna be funny when I spank Eric's Cammer with a small block LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. SOHC427

SOHC427

Eddie, we all know what you spank.....

Sorry, I let the cat outta the bag!

Deuces likes this.
  14. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

15. I heard the "Wild Child" is for sale ?? :confused:

16. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Heres a pic of Jack christmans 65 comet front end.

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  17. choke

choke

When they came out with the re-issue altered wheel base model car series. There was a re-print of an article on the quater-eliptic style front suspension in the box of the Falcon models. It showed pictures of the parts broken down. The spring had a ball socket type pivot in the front. It shows pretty detailed shots of Phil Bonner's Falcon. Hope this helps!!!!

18. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Hey Eddie and Eric dont make me call my buddy,some Italian muscle Tony Goggles Pizzano and put you guys on the tralier.Somebody is going to be sleeping with the fishes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Eddie;your gonna have to build a "BIG" small block with giggle juice to run with a cammer!!!Or you could activate the moonshine tank on the front bumper and put nitro in there,then you could wear your full face mask!!! ROY.

21. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

22. SOHC427

SOHC427

Ken, is that Tony, "I can break a anvil, with a marshmellow hammer" B?

Hope he get his motor soon, and some 90wt oil!

23. 65COMET

65COMET

SOHC;I must be related to him!!! I get accused of that all the time!!!I gotta keep telling myself that drag racing is fun. ROY.

24. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, I guess some of us just have a talant, that others don't. But Tony is a unique case.....

25. 65COMET

65COMET

SOHC;I am hoping my luck changes this season! New Jerico,new McLeod Soft-loc clutch and new chassis upgrades.I guess when you try and play with the big blocks by running a small block,shit happens!!Where did I put that BIG hammer?!! ROY.

26. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy,
    I look forward to seeing you run. Hopefully a bunch of thr Colorado gang will make their way to Ca this year.

I know your car will do well!

Eric

27. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Falconred:

Yes, that is my car as it appeared when new during shakedown runs, before lettering. This car originally had Real Halibrand Mag Wheels, but I had to reverse the rear wheels to get the slicks inside the fenders. (We did not have the connections to get custom axles yet, to narrow the rear housings) This car was originally a styling buck built from molds from the original styling clay model. The body was rescued from the crusher, and built into an AFX car with the help of my Ford and DST connections, using a 427 Hi-Riser. (Charlie Gray, Paul Harvey and Bill "Hammer" Mason and more) At the Indy Nationals in ’65 with a Hi-Riser engine, in the AFX 1/4 final I lost to Gas Rhonda's Cammer Mustang, and Gas lost to Les Ritchey’s Cammer Mustang in the final.
    My sponsor had business issues and wanted out, so the car was sold to the Catron Brothers at the end of the '65 season, and I continued to drive the car for them on the NASCAR drag circuit in 1966. We simultaneously held two NASCAR records with the car in 1966, U/S 5 with the Hi-Riser engine and U/S 4 with the SHOC engine. (U was to signify Ultra) We built a 1967 Fairlane over the winter, racing at Daytona for the NASCAR Winternational Drag Races. The Fairlane kept the Halibrand wheels, only we did not need to turn them around using a Mustang Housing under the Fairlane Body. The Falcon was then sold again to Dennis German, who painted it blue and named it "Hard Times" racing it in the Detroit Area until 1972.
    The Falcon was sold once or twice more before Brett Hyjak picked it up for his collection. <O:pThe car had been reworked extensively since new including gutting and installation of a straight axle in front, and although Brett repainted the car as it was in 1965, he did not restore it back to its period-correct AFX chassis and interior condition.
    <O:pAttached are pictures of me with the car at a NASCAR Drag Race in 1966, as it is today, and my '67 Fairlane which replaced it. Dave Lyall<O:p

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  28. Falconred

Falconred

Mr Lyalls, or Dave if I may call you that, I thank you very much for replying, I have been following your posts on the Thunderbolt topic. You are a very interesting poster and able to add some facts along that I haven't heard before. Keep posting your remembrances, all subjects are welcome to me.

I enjoyed that era, I was a early teen when it started and grew up watching. I remember the first time I watched the Strip Teaser leave the line and the first time I smelled the fumes when the cars started using fuel mixes. The Falcons were my favorite cars and I was finally able to get one while in college in '67 or '68, it was a '65 2-door HT, 289 4-speed and was the same color as yours.

In '63 I had helped some with a local SS called "Bad News" that was Bonner's old '62 HT car that he built using the lightweight parts from the wrecked car he had first. I think it was his match race car and he had another lightweight for SS. There was a '62 409 Chevy and a 426 wedge car that were regulars at the local strip. I enjoyed watching the progression of the cars through the '63 lightweights, the Thunderbolts then to the FX cars. Things weren't the same after the flip-tops came out. I am glad that the factorys soon saw the need to go back to SS racing.

29. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

30. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co