Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you tell me about the toyota straight 6 and it's relationship to chevrolet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Not to interupt all of the U.S. vs. import whining going on here, but back to the original question.....years ago, when I worked in a machine shop, I came in one morning to find a 235 block lying on the floor, except it had integrally cast motor mount ears in the '55-'57 mount position. Come to find out, it was a '67 Landcruiser block. As already stated, the important dimensions are off just enough to make any Chevy/Toyota parts mix and match impractical.

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Living in Arizona, I suspect our Toyotas don't have the frame rot problem. I've never heard of it until now. We are 99% USA in our fleet

3. Sounds like another batch of youth batptized into the Fast and Furious wannabe cult.. See if you can bring them back from the Dark Side:p

All kidding aside the turbo supra is a fun car to drive(i assume thats the one they are talking about) but i wouldn't call the 2JZ engine absolutely superior to all american motors..

4. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

That's funny!:D I do the same thing, nothing better that telling them they are driving a Buick V8!

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As far as cam bearings go my Lotus 907 ran on the aluminum as did my Nissan 3 liter V6. My '32 Plymouth four cylinder ran on the iron without any bearings. Set SCTA records with all of them. My new (to me) '26 Dodge Bros. four runs on the iron also. Maybe that means another record?

6. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

What about Toyota built hot rods?

This one was built by the guys at Toyota,it's originally an FJ45 Landcruiser:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then there's this Toyota A/Gas style Stout pickup built by RKM in Japan,it's even been converted to left hand drive:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yup,Japanese are heavily influenced by American culture.

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Then, post-war they proceeded to build better motors, comparable to the reliability of bavarian motor wurks (but at a cheaper price), and competing with all of Detoit, hands down.

That was a good thing, because otherwise Detroit would still be using old 1950s technology. The idea that without American designs to copy, that the Japanese would not have been able to compete with Detroit, is laughable.

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

As for those poor folks dying, dad panicked, plain and simple, some people cannot handle situations like that. You have to stay calm, all the guy had to do was slap her into neutral and he had tons of time, tons. It's a shame but I think most people when faced with life or death situations freak out and I'm not bragging here, I don't, time slows down for me and I think rationally.

That accident wasn't Toyota's fault.

9. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

all that crap u guys have bought from over seas is why there are no jobs in this country. japan didnt even know how to temper steel until harley davidson sold them the patent to an old design. they are copy cats in all the things they build. the american auto companies build design and promote new models and then they are copied. how would u like some to copy your design and then make there own and sell it????????

10. Pigiron

Pigiron

I had a 70 Landcruiser that the carb was giving me trouble (leaking, worn). I had a 2gc chevy carb and bolted on to the flange with a little file work. Ran great for the next couple of years before I sold it.

11. metalman

metalman

Besides the copy of the Chevy 6 has any of you seen the Toyota hemi? Made for big trucks in Japan and never for our market. I built a frame for a T-bucket for a guy using one, if it wasn't for the Japanese writing on the valve cover you would sware it was an early Chrysler. Don't believe he ever got it running, missing a few parts he could never find.

12. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Just as an FYI, the early Toyoglide transmission was basically a Powerglide clone, just smaller. Had one apart once, and you'd swear that you were looking at a Powerglide.

13. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Lest us not forget that these frames were built to Toyota's specifications. Funny thing Dana builds truck frames for other manufactures (Ford) and yet Toyota is the company experiencing problems. There are also plenty of S-10s that have Dana frames under them that aren't breaking in half.

Busted Toyota truck frames are nothing new. Living in the rust belt I used to see it all the time before they all got scrapped. I remember my first introduction to busted Toyota frames. My parent's neighbor up the road had bought late 70s Toyota Truck new, one day it busted in half (in 98 or so). Truck had less than 100,000 miles on it and the upper body looked fine. My friend's parents bought a brand new Toyota 4x4 in 1984, ten years later they didn't even need tools to take off the bed it was so rusted apart. A couple years later it busted in two which they sorta half-assed fixed it. I bought it for 50 bucks in 2005 and at that point it had less than 90,000 miles on it.

My friend bought himself an 89 Toyota truck, and predictably the frame was busted in two. Heck I have seen more 80s and early 90s Toyota trucks in my life with busted frames than those that didn't. I have no idea where everyone else has been since this has been a problem with these things since they were first imported. Maybe it is because folks then didn't expect vehicles to last as long as they do now. Those older Toyotas were all made in Japan too. No Dana corperation to tack the blame on.

Also Toyota had a lot of trouble with their 3.0 V-6 blowing head gaskets and them Toyota Tracels seem real hit and miss. Some are good and some toss their cookies at less than 50,000 miles. A lot of Toyota's reputation is built upon mindless drones who babble on about how reliable their Toyota is (also usualy the same folks who trade their car in every couple years too). I had a guy tell me his Toyota only needed one engine the entire two years he had it (bought it new). His mechanic told him it was normal maintanence. I wonder how many other folks fell for this ploy and go out beating the drum of Toyota quality :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

the sword cutting that was disproved on mythbusters

15. 440roadrunner

440roadrunner
    from live?

The Japanese may have known HOW to temper steel, but none of that showed up in my 62 Landcruiser, and was confirmed by a bodyman who also owned a (67?) that he'd fixed as a total.

My old 62 had some of the softest fasteners I've ever seen. I was always drilling out junk down below and replacing with US bolts and nuts. That blessed thing STILL sits out back with some broken--off fasteners here and there.

I can't really comment on the Chev/ Toy 6 thing except that someone I knew CLAIMED he put a Chev distributor right into his Toy. He may have been drunk at the time, so I don't know. They WERE metric, though.......

16. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Man I got some ocean front property in Arizona......

17. panic

panic

I guess I'll never learn, but I must admit - I'm still amazed at what passes for a rebuttal argument here.

"I saw it on a TV show" goes right to the head of the list.

This was reported as myth by Army Intelligence, and the discovery (interviews with soldiers, examination of damaged Springfields) that it did happen was so shocking that (despite the effect on moral) it was published in Yank in 1944 (it's in my copy) as a warning.

A useful lesson to take away: "I don't understand this" is not the same as "It didn't happen".

18. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Wrong,the reason why there is a lack of employment over here is undocumented workers being employed for a fraction of what a citizen works for,and the fact that the government has spent more than what the government has,causing a huge budget deficit and creating a financial collapse. Japan has been tempering steel long before Harley Davidson was around,just look at real Japanese Samurai swords,not the cheap show display ones. They are stronger than any tempered 440 steel out there. Educate yourself before you sound off about something,I always try to. Besides,China is the one making cheap crap parts,not Japan. I would buy something made in japan before i bought something made in China.

19. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Still doesn't explain why Toyota truck frames suck (and suck they did even before Dana got into the picture). Or explain any relationship between Toyota sixes and Chevrolet sixes for that matter.

Maybe Toyota should have hired Samurai warriors to build their frames...

20. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Yeah,Mythbusters is a load of crap,like wikipedia. They didn't use a real tempered Japanese sword,they used the crap show swords that low budget collectors buy. Those aren't forged,they are cast. Originally,Japanese swords for high ranking officers and Samurai alike were made by a process of folding the steel several times while tempereing it,and basically strong enough to cut through lesser made "tempered" steel. Real Japanese sword makers take the highest pride in their sword making,and it would take years to make a handful.

21. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Toyota couldn't get them,they were all working for Suzuki

22. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Here you go:
    [​IMG]

23. 56Chevy4Dr

56Chevy4Dr
    from Texas

Originally Posted by slefain [​IMG]
    Never heard of this relationship before, but I could believe it.

Every time I see a yuppie in a Range Rover I ask them how their Buick is running....

QUOTE: Hitchhiker - they haven't used the buick motor for about 15 years.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats OK, The last time herd the term "yuppie", It was about 15 years ago too! :)

LOL,

24. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I guess that was the problem :D Well I think I may have to contact Toyota and tell them they need to have a talk with Suzuki ;)

25. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Not to go off topic,but a friend of mine had two Suzuki Samurai's that he bough on the cheap as a bash toy and parts rig. We bashed the hell out of the first one and could never break it,and we're talking heavy bashing with the intent to damage the vehicle(At $400 each running,why not). When the first one did finally have something break after 3 years of extreme abuse and routine maintenance,we grabbed the second one and abuse it for about a year,he ended up selling both off to some guys in to offroading and rock crawling,and last I heard they used both to make some insane rock crawler.

26. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Heh, I had a Suzuki Swift, tough little car. Had the four cylinder which I think is the same as the Samurai's.

Did a little research on Katanas. The real deals sound like they are pretty tough to make. Only a few skilled sword makers in Japan still make them. The mass produced ones sound like they couldn't hold a candle to the real deal.

I also did some digging on Toyota sixes. The F engine sounds like it was based off of a GMC six. Made them right up until 92. Might have to find some Landcruisers to compare with.....

27. skip86

skip86
    from Florida

About the recent problems that Toyota has had with accelerator pedals,does anyone know if Toyota is using a drive by wire accelerator pedal system in there newer cars?if so and i think they might be,there problems could be attributed to this electronicly controlled accelerator pedal,rather than a out of place floormat?just asking.Gerry

28. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Thanks everyone for responding; i couldn't rejoin the conversation too quickly because of work schedule. On top of that i'm just a slow person regardless. Anyways, if i could address these particular points:

Thanks for the link---very informative.

i didn't mean to imply that i think Japanese quality sucks; i just don't feel and never felt they were "all that"----"the best," like a large portion of the population feels. i don't even feel that German Automotive technology (automotive technology only) is nessesarily the best.
    Despite the present problems with managment, i think GM had and still has the top automotive technology in the world. Of course, the way things are going, i don't think GM is going to be around for too much longer, but that's neither here nor there..........

Yes, they think that this is their world. i told them if they wanted to see a real car movie they should watch the original gone in 60 secs (they didn't know there was an original) and watch bullitt. They didn't know what the heck i was talking about.

Back to the straight 6's:
    OK, i guess what i was trying to get into was, i was wondering if the toyota straight six was the same as say, in the original 53 corvette?

So i guess what we need to do, in my opinion, is to break it down:
    Is the engine that came with the 53 corvette the same as, say, the one in the 80 nova i used to own? And are these engines the same as from the 20's and earlier?

In other words, could we break down, in detail the history of the chevy straight six first(before comparing to the toyota)? Again, i checked wiki, but am not clear. i know that chevy had straight 6's for a long time, but is it basically the same engine---used all the way up to , i think 1990 in trucks?

2) RE: S-10 frames:
    i was under the impression (apparently erroneously) that GM made all their own frames; i thought the s-10 frame was just a slighly narrower version of the G-body frame, which in turn is a smaller version of the A-body frame which dates back to 73?

3) i welcome all the tangents such as import vs. domestic and Japanese hemis etc., because it's all educational. Feel free to continue.

i think the bottom line was that even if the toyo 6 is not an exact copy, just knowing that it was based of the chevy design was good enough for me to tell the teeners that it was chevy that made toyota what they are today. i want them to think a little about who is really better. Again, i'm not saying at all that Japanese quality sucks---i think they've proven themselves. But i wanted to try to change the one-siding thinking that's prevalent in today's society--that Japanese carmakers can do no wrong. And domestic carmakers can do no right---i think the kids are learning it in large part from their parents.

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

Traditional Hot Rods & Customs....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.