Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Egoless Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Ego is a funny thing. My whole purpose in life is to go fast and find the perfect cheese burger.

Of course going fast with out anybody knowing about it or finding the perfect burger and not grinning after words would pretty anti-climatic,now wouldn't it. So there you are.

Good thoughts my friend.

2. The old-timers around here have a phrase: Humbly Proud. I like it. Says it all. Build your car, but know when to quit. Make it humbly proud.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Wouldn't change a thing. Oh to be the custodian for a while. It belongs in that black on black on black thread from... err - yesteryear.

4. bonesy

bonesy

First, what a cool car. Perfect
    Second, what a cool article. Perfect

5. Ego is always involved in the design and execution (and operating) of a hot rod or custom; there's no escaping it. However, what is important is that good aesthetic and engineering judgement is not overtaken by an ego that is running out of control. I see a lot of severely over-the-top cars these days. To me, it many times reveals an ego that seems desperate to express itself.

6. 1 foot in the grave

1 foot in the grave
    BANNED

thats weird, i had never thought of it that way. In recent years i have expressed less and less ego through myself, yet my car has gotten a lot more "bling" lately, with adding things like wide whites, flaked roof, lancer hubcaps, etc. I guess i'm expressing my ego with my car now. I like the way my ego ride looks, but i don't talk about it anymore. When someone asks about my car these days i just tell them what it is and drive away, i used to sit and tell them all about it when they asked. It doesnt matter what people think about your ride (good or bad) as long as you like it.

7. sr

sr
    from Monterey

There is no such thing as an egoless car.

8. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Ego or not, that is one beautiful car.........

Al in TN..err I mean CT

9. veedolpaul

veedolpaul

I love this car and the roadster for their simplicity. Simple, low, sinister, are all the right words. it is much more difficult to pull it off. Damn ego.

10. Absolutely!! :)

[​IMG]

11. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

The exact type of build I would walk across the street to look at.:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Wow. That pretty much sums up what a rodded 28-29 A sedan ought to look like. Simple...clean...understated.

13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That was a really good piece, Ryan.

You have a way with words. It describes us perfectly.

Simple = Cool.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, Without knowing it you posted a picture of my highschool '29, only mine was a coupe. It looked the way it did because after building the overbored, cammed, muti-carbed flathead, finding a '39 trans and converting to hydraulic brakes I didn't have any money left to put on shiney paint or buy any chrome. It was painted with the neighbors Electrolux vacumn cleaner w/spray attachment. I've posted before about driving it stock from Michigan to Pennsylvania to my grandfathers farm during my junior year of high school, transpanting the engine out of the school bus (1947 Ford) I rode to school my first day of 1st grade and returning to Michigan, finishing high school, and driving it through the first two years of college. That simple av8, understated due to finances, has guided me through a life of drag racing, oval track, and finally back to hot rods that have had a theme characterized by restraint of appearance, kick ass performance. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Frank

Just Gary, pitman and flatheadpete like this.
  15. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

This car looks good because of the styling that Ford did with these Model A's. The subtle styling with the grill, fenders, and cowl stand out when I am not distracted with changes. What is usually done to build the hot rodded "A"? Put on a '32 grill, pull the hood and fenders, chop and channel, and finish with shiny rims with wide whites. After that I don't notice Henry's styling anymore.

Besides, I am partial to black Model A sedans. I had to add that to feed my ego. :)

16. pitman

pitman

Thanks JG!
    A good read, Ryan has put it well.
    He's willing to risk, knows when magic has entered. Stops.

Just Gary likes this.
  17. This thread is 11 years old.
    I wasn't even here then.
    I saw the picture 10 minutes ago for the first time.
    The first thing I said was "perfect."
    The point is that that little A sedan is timeless.
    It could be in the little pages in '55, Hot Rod in the '60s.
    The Rodder's Journal in the '90s.
    Or on the HAMB bumped this morning!
    Doesn't get any better than that!
    Seems kind of like the essence of why we are here.

18. X-cpe

X-cpe

And that very thing is what gets high school kids (and others) caught. There's no cool if nobody knows! And if one other knows, then pretty soon everybody knows.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Every time this thread gets updated the value of a model A sedan rises. Simply done but a car anyone would be proud to drive. Perfect stance.

pitman, kidcampbell71 and Just Gary like this.
  20. Its a lot like the tree falling in the forest thing isn't it. :D

X-cpe, pitman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It's been more than ten years since this thread first appeared, and I put in my 2c on the first day. I liked the car then, and I like it now; I'd happily drive it. If it were mine, though, I'd complete its look with stock Ford hubcaps, either pre- or post-war. IMO the bare-lugnuts look is kinda like leaving the house without wearing trousers.

Chili Phil, Malcolm and Just Gary like this.
  22. pitman

pitman

PnB: gettin hard ta heah ya,
    Still sleetin' spitten' soon to be
    fogg-in, Nawth springtime! Be purdy out soon enuf. ;)

23. That's were I'm going with mine.....someday soon :).