Register now to get rid of these ads!

History GENE WINFIELD SHOP TRUCK FOUND (official restoration thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteFromTexas, Dec 18, 2008.

1. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

It absolutely must! That might be my only chance to see it anytime soon. PLease, please, please! :D

2. This truck is why I decided to go back to fenders on my 36 ford! VERY COOL!

3. If it were up to me...before asking Gene about respraying it himself, I would consider his age and health and ask if he is feels any ill effects with urethanes or catalyst paints. After years of exposure to lacquers and enamels, and with the introduction of catalyzed paints, that stuff tends to accumulate over time in a persons body and when you reach Gene's age, it starts to show up. So even though "the MAN" is still with us and it would be tempting to ask him, I would personally like to see him with us a lot longer by not asking him to risk his health for the sake of nostalgia and the cool-ness factor. Just the fact that he is willing to be there during the restoration, his advise alone on details is immeasurable. By the way, GREAT PIX of him with that truck....did you happen to see the Chrisman brothers bonneville coupe in the background in that last picture??? I think its decked out in the Barris version for the Dobie Gillis TV show.

4. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

Only $1875 for that truck!! Damn even I could afford that. I guess back then it was just another truck. You are one luck son-of-a-gun for finding that truck!

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

$1875 was a lit of money back then. It wasn't just another truck!

6. tuki

tuki

hurry up some Gene can do the paint.he's 82 or so....he'll be around a few more years.he's young at heart:)

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

There is a full page story about the truck in the new Rodders Journal. It tells the whole story thus far.

Also the truck WILL be at this years Dallas Autorama. Mr. Winfield will be present all 3 days to sign autographs and talk to all you hot rodders and customizers.

The truck will also be at this years Lonestar Roundup. Going to be a great time in Austin!!

8. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Great thread, going to keep an eye on it. Any chance of more pics of the petro collection in the background, or maybe Gene's shop area? It appears that there is a lot more stuff to post on this site. Thanks!!

9. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Small up date. We were able to get the original shop signs and i mounted them on the truck. It seems to bring it all together with the signs on it.

Well, got to load up! Off to the Autorama!! See you there!

[​IMG]

10. Anderson

Anderson

Saw Gene walking around last night, very cool! The truck looks cool too...didn't get to look it over very well but I definitely will this weekend.

11. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

I talked with Gene for a few minutes last night. What a nice guy.

He was telling us about flying from city to city to either chop a car or paint a car.

What a life!

Bart

12. Elrod

Elrod

Gene was there this morning waiting for the day to start.

Attached Files:

• 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      54.8 KB
      Views:
  13. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

gene is cool. he was at the sac autorama walkin through the merc room bright and early and i dont think i saw him slow down all day.

14. So I was cruising around a couple of months ago here in Oregon and stopped by a friend's house fondly known as Tex. I've only met him a short while ago but he's the real deal. He's always super inviting and always has some type of project going on and great stories to share. They unfortunately just don't make them like Tex anymore.

Anyway, on this particular day he says "hey, c'mon back. I've got something really cool to show you. Sitting on the trailer was THIS truck. He's talking a hundred miles an hour in his Texas drawl explaining how he came to have it in his back yard. It was amazing to see this piece of history close up. Amazing story. I'll see if I can catch up with Tex in the next few days and get his story...

15. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Saw it at the Fort Worth show.
    Awsome!

16. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I don't get it? Your friend Tex had this truck on a trailer in his back yard a few months ago?? It has been in Texas for longer than that.

Does his last name happen to be Barnes?? If so, He is out general managers brother. Cool guy.

17. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

Gene still works every day and runs around like a 20 year old. First time I went to his shop he wore me out running around showing me stuff.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have always loved that truck. I was wondering where it was.

19. what can ya say that hasent been said! wow, what a great thread. cant wait for latest copy of TRJ, its not here yet. will follow this one.

20. awbcrazy

awbcrazy
    from Arvada, Co

How cool is this to have that truck? WOW! Gene is one of my hero's, truly a pioneer. I almost had pleasure of driving him from the airport last year to the KKOA in Salina, but timing was not good. I did meet him at the show and I hope he is there again this year.
    Here is the only image of the truck in blue that I have. May or may not help, but the comparison to your photo just ....wow.
    I don't know who took this one, but it's from around 1985 out of Super Customs & Hot Rods premier issue.
    [​IMG]

21. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

Here it was at the Round Up, hope the pics aren't too dark.

Attached Files:

22. awbcrazy

awbcrazy
    from Arvada, Co

thanks MetorMan, not bad pics at all. I really hope to see this in person someday, especially after it's restored.

23. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Got to see the truck at the Round Up. Very nice!
    I hope to have the $$$$$ to go to his workshop at Merc Charlies in October. How cool is that, Gene Winfield and Merc Charlie!
    Will definately keep checking in on this thread.

24. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

I agree, it's always neat to see a car that's been getting as much press as this one, especially (for me) before it's restored!
    The wife and I are planning a trip to Canton, Tx. later this year, I've already told her we've got to stop by Hatfield's shop to check out the progress.

25. HOT13ROD

HOT13ROD
    from florida

Very cool good luck with it

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it should go back to the last version, the blue, since that's how it ended up by the original builder. Certainly it's the best looking.

27. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

I cant even wait to see this resto done!!!!!!:p:eek:

Buzz Bomb

28. 51shoebox

51shoebox
    from rialto

now thats bad assss

29. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

Thats cool as hell.. I was just at an old friend of mines house and he asked if I had ever seen his father-n-laws old chevy of course not I said so he said lets go we went out to the barn and climbed over all kinds of shit and there she was a 36 chevy 4door looked like new. His father in law used it to run and get parts for his auto repair buisness back in the day and is the original owner...And now he has passed on so I may be getting a new toy.Due to the fact the family dont want it..

30. banditomerc

banditomerc

This is one of my all time favorites.How many more original shop truck sare out there and go unnoticed,lets see more of these.