Register now to get rid of these ads!

History GENE WINFIELD SHOP TRUCK FOUND (official restoration thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteFromTexas, Dec 18, 2008.

1. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

I would love to see y'all (and even Gene hisowndamnself) bring that down to the Roundup.

If you could possibly have it ready by then...

2. Has to be "FIND OF THE YEAR"

3. WHERE IN OREGON WAS IT???? i live in springfield OR

4. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

This is amazing!!

5. tred

tred

i heard gene just found out about this on manday and that he's thrilled.

very cool.

6. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Not to shit in your ice cream but it seems strange to me to restore a car when the builder is alive and could do it himself. Seems like Gene should be the one restoring it to me.

Comments?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  7. I would think anybody worth their salt could restore the truck,And havin Gene involved is a plus.Besides maybe Gene cant get it done in the time frame required or he might not have the time or even want to restore it...hell if I had ...lets say a barris car I would not take it back to him......JMHO

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I kind of agree on one hand. But, on the other, sometimes there is nothing worse that having to redo your own work.

Since they seem to want to have him involved, I am sure it will work out as he feels like he wants without any undo pressure on him to do the whole thing himself.

It would probably be my first choice to ask him, but can't blame some one else for not. It is still their car now, not his anymore.

Maybe they will just have him help with the fun parts and do the grunt work themselves.

9. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

But in reality Gene could get a different truck and build it the same way and it still would be a Gene Winfield shop truck

10. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

11. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

bitchen!!!

Attached Files:

12. Cool '50 Dodge business coupe in this pic, too.

13. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Well, really everything that Gene did to it is mostly (amazingly) still there, so all they are doing is the grunt work to take it back down, sort it out, clean it all back up and get it ready for Gene to do the re-spray, right?

I really do feel it would be best to have him spray it. Then, it really would still be his work that you are looking at and it would add, greatly, to the final (both emotional and monetary) value of the truck.

As excited as it sounds like he is about it being found, he's probably chomping at the bit for a chance to do the final finish on it.

I mean even if they took it to Gene for the entire resto, he might have someone else to the grunt part of the rehab, so not much difference?

14. kruzr

kruzr

Nice find, how much do you think it;s chopped ?? 4"?

15. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I finally got my hands on the pics of the truck with Mr. Winfield. And one last one of the truck right before it was sold.

There are a lot more pics. I will be posting them as the trucks restoration unfolds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. what engine was in the final build Y-block ? I see it had a standard trans with column shift. 4 exhaust ports even spaced

17. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Another big hunk of Kustom History found.... Keep us posted, Thanks!

18. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

It originally had a multiple carb Flathead.

The last documented engine it had was a 265 Small Block.

For the entire life of the truck it was suppost to have had an early Ford 3 speed trans. I guess it could have have had anything in it after people lost track of it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  19. Great find ! Can't wait to watch the restoration unfold and see it fully restored ! thank you for letting us see !

20. CGkidd

CGkidd

God that truck is so cool. I think that dash should be saved as is also. I am sure someone on here could scrounge up a replacement dash if they want to put a nice pretty one in it. Just my .02

21. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Man, that's a trip to see Gene inspecting the truck. After reading some of the comments, I agree that Gene probably would not want to redo the truck a second time, and he would probably have a shop grunt do the work anyhow. I do think it would be awesome if he shot it though!

22. Dirty2

Dirty2

Cool truck . So did your wife let you go get it ?

23. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

Where the hell are all of these historic cars coming from!?

24. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

congrats that just to cool can't wait to see it

25. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

I don't know, but at least some of them are falling into some good hands. No dubs for this one!

26. way cool! I relly enjoy seeing these finds! :d

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  27. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

let the adventure begin. will it be a driver or show piece?

seems like you could restore it, drive the wheels off it, and clean it up again and it will still have the same value.

good luck and more pics please

28. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I'd love to drive it. I'm sure it will be driven a little.

29. madwagon56

madwagon56

i love to see them driven look at bob paige and the x51 he drives it alot not just a trailer queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas