Register now to get rid of these ads!

History GENE WINFIELD SHOP TRUCK FOUND (official restoration thread)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteFromTexas, Dec 18, 2008.

1. A very cool find indeed! I also would like to hear more about where it was, how it was found etc!

2. Love the pipes... :)

3. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Great lookin' truck!

4. It's great that some of the Kool old stuff still exists and even greater that some dedicated Kustom guys have the desire and abilities to bring em back to life ! Congratulations on a neat find, I know Gene will Love it !

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

WOW !! What a great find ! I am sure Gene is happy to see that truck is still alive ! Are you going to bring her back the way she was ? Maybe Gene can tell you anything you need to know about the truck . Again , great find !

6. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

RAD I tell you... that makes me smile.

7. It's great when an old custom is found, and slated for restoration. It's even greater still when there is a wealth of information about the car to help in the restoration, and even better when the original builder is still alive and can see his old creation nursed back to life.

It'd be great to see Gene behind the wheel again..

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Maybe I missed it in the pictures but did you get the origional grill and shell with the truck?
    How neat to have the builder still alive to help with the details of how he put to together..................priceless!!

Frank

9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kongrats on the find and good luck with the resto. One of these days I would like
    to own a kustom with some koool history. You've been blessed!!

Sounds like the truck will be going through a complete restoration. How would you
    save the dash without taking away from the truck? I guess you could back mask the
    striping on the dash and paint around it...... Would you cut the dash out and
    keep it seperate from the truck and use it for garage art. Just having a "Tommy
    the Greek" pinstriped dash is kool all by itself.....

Good luck with the build and looking forward to the build pictures.

Happy Trails,

Mick

10. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

You have to tell us the story of how you found it... too cool

11. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

That's just too cool. Please keep us updated.

12. what's the history trail and the 65 Oregon plates, I'll bet Russ Meeks has something on it

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats the coolest , hope you keep posting pictures , as you restore the old shop hauler

14. I'll let ya know I just forwarded this to Russ........odds are he knows something about it

15. Wow! I was unaware that that truck was still around. Too cool!

16. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Man, nice find ! Years ago i owned a 36 Ford truck and bought a black & white photo of this truck from Gene. Always thought that was one hell of a truck.

I agree with a previous post - restore the pick up but leave the dash alone - like Jim McNeil did with his Hirohata Merc.

Congrats !

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

funny that the magazine article calls it a 34.

I have a 35 with a 34 title too.

18. fuzzface

fuzzface

When I saw the title I was thinking about the truck with the car rack on saying to myself that I thought it was still in his possession. I completely forgot about this one. I'm glad it was found and will be restored.

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Amazing! The world is a better place with that truck around...

20. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

was it really "found" as in it had been lost? Or did the previous owner know what he had and just recently decide to sell it?

Im glad its in your hands and not mine, I would find it AWFULLY tough to tear it down and redo it because I think it looks pretty sweet as-is.

21. Marcy

Marcy

Wow! Too cool!
    You could even have Gene re-spray the restoration.

Marcy

22. fuzzface

fuzzface

That would be cool.

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Glad to see it's coming back to life, What color are you going to choose? Both colors look great! It'd be a difficult decission for me.

24. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Wow. God I love seeing cars like this come to light.

25. He still does have that truck...I still remember him using that to hit the swap meets in. It's now languishing in his boneyard...his boneyard, by the way, is pretty incredible...

BRT

26. Couldn't have been long after it was painted blue that it went to Oregon. The color pics show black 1963 license plates on it, the picture of it in gold at the show has '56/'62 plates...must have gone north, done the shows for awhile, then sold, parked etc. by '64-'65?

27. Weasel

Weasel

Ryaaaan - why haven't you posted on this thread yet - you asleep at the wheel?:D

28. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Yes, he has. We stopped by his shop on the way back from Oregon. He was very glad to see that it was still around. He said he has been looking for it for 15+ years. He is a wealth of information about the truck and still has some of the original parts that go with it.

When the truck was pictured in The Rodders Journal (last issue) the brother of our shop manager called and said he knew where this truck was.

Ended up that Gene traded the truck to an indian fellow for a T-bird and some cash. The indian sold it to a guy in Oregon after he wrecked it. That guy stuck it in his barn when it has been for all these years. 2 years ago he pulled it out and stuck it next to the barn. That is where we found it.

It will be restored back to the first version. The way Gene built it the first time he showed the truck at the Oakland Roadster show.

Gold with the flathead.

Yes it has the grille and the complete hood.

No. It wasn't Russ. It was just a random guy who had the truck. He knew it was something but had no idea what he actually had.

I agree. I am so proud to be a part of the team that is bringing this historic truck back to life. I feel honored.

29. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I think he might be packing for his trip he mentioned or taking my goodies I ordered earlier today to the PO. :)

30. fuzzface

fuzzface

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I sure would like to see his bone yard some day.