Register now to get rid of these ads!

Corvair Turbo + 283 Chevy = ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I know nothing about turbocharging. Just wondering if you could conceivably run a Corvair turbo on a 283. I know 'Vair engines are a lot smaller than the small block, but even a little boost might help, right...? Just curious. They sure do look cool...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going away for a couple days, so Merry Christmas!

2. Bugman

Bugman

It could work, but I think the turbo's probably way to small. It might produce some boost, but I bet the top end would suffer, just like running a carb thats to small.

3. muffman58

muffman58

Is that your `Vair? I`ll glady buy you the biggest turbo you want for that!

4. Rocket Sled

Rocket Sled
    from Hanover PA

Just put 2 in! ;)

5. Bugman

Bugman

I'm down for that. :D In fact, I've also got a spare corvair turbo andcarb I might be able to part with. needs a full rebuild though, including replacing a chipped impeller.

6. Sanderson37

Sanderson37

I think even 2 would be too small for a v-8. Twin t3 turbos off of turbocoupe thunderbirds would be more suffecient. The draw through setup on those corvair engines is really old tech as well. The fuel tends to sit in the turbos after you shut the engine off and boil. A blow through setup would be easier and more reliable. I know alot about turbos and such so ask away.

7. parkwood60

parkwood60

That's what I was thinking. Get a dual quad intake and plumb one from the right exhaust to the rear intake, one from the left exhaust to the front intake, or vice versa.

Maybe you could use a Corvette crossfire injection manifold? Seal it off inside so you have two seperate chambers? I'm thinking you want a seperate chamber for each turbo otherwise one would be blowing right out the other.

If the stock Corvair turbo would handle 150hp, two ought to be able to handle 300hp.

8. Also if I remember right, Corvair engines (the later ones) are 164cid so if you run two, that's 328cid... so it should puff up a 283 pretty good? I love Corvairs but never had a turbo so it would be neat to see someone stuff a pair of these on top of a 283 and see what happens.

Travis

9. repoman

repoman

The plumbing is the hard part. There are turbos available cheaper than Corvair units that will give more boost and reliability.

I've never done one, but I've talked to people who have done backyard turbo systems on the cheap with great results.

I think the reason they aren't more popular is the general uglyness of a turbo setup, and carb complications.

10. Sanderson37

Sanderson37

Yeah your best bet would be to use a blow through setup with a modded holley double pump with mech. secondaries. Go to turbomustangs.com, they have a whole section dedicated to carb setups. Im also doing a turbo setup on my 66 stang with a carb. Its a single though.

11. parkwood60

parkwood60

I'd wanted to addapt one to the small Ford I-6 in the Mustang/Falcon/Econoline with the 1BBL cast in log manifold. Fortunately the owner of the van took it back before I could convince her to do it. That one little hole for it to breath thru just begs to be force fed.

12. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I think it would be a lot easier to use the system from a Turbo 3.8 Buick. They are just adapted to a semi-stock Q-Jet manifold. You would just have to make up the exhaust connections.

13. 2manybillz

2manybillz

Had a "Ford guy" buddy that did something similar on several cars using 2 turbos from some Ford 4 cyl. blowing through dual quad intakes. Seemed to work well and was cheap and easy. (or quick and dirty)

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

think it will be killer off the line, but will spool out about mid way up the power band.

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks for the input guys. How different do the other turbos that have been mentioned here look from the sixties version? As long as it didn't look out of place on an early sixties 283, I'd be happy. Primarily I'm mad about the decal! I love that factory performance look, even if it's a fictional setup (perhaps that should read "especially"?). I'm bent on doing a front-engine early 'Vair coupe one day and this was one of my powertrain options.

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have seen Metalshapes', yes??Very traditional and fast as a mutha.

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

No! Wow, very cool. This is the price I pay for never being on the HAMB in the summer. I miss the coolest posts and end up reading a bunch about Von Dutch Cola.

So what's the turbo from? What's it on? Aw stuff it, I'll do a few searches, I can't wait to read the details!

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wait... isn't that a centrifugal supercharger? I see a belt drive...

19. Bugman

Bugman

Yup, it is. I've seen it in person, but i dont remember the brand.

20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's a Paxton-McCulloch VS57

21. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh shit. Oops...Uh, yea, Alex's roadster is a centrifigal woofer. Sorry.

I always lump them into the same category. Both are centrifugal and produce boost..just a bit diffrently.

-Abone.

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

No need to apologize, though, a very cool car anyway and I'm glad I read about it! Does anybody have a link to the post where he describes building that car as a unibody? I'm striking out thus far.

23. 47bob

47bob

Sounds like a good project. Try it and see what happens. Put some sort of check valve on the pressure side so it can suck air if it wants to. Bob

24. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I was building a twin turbo 283 for a while. Unfortunetly circumstances didnt allow me to finish it, but it was a fun project.

Here are a couple pics of it. It was in a 63 Volvo 122, an it used a pair of T3 turbos jsut like what was mentioned earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. lostinthe60s

lostinthe60s
    from Midwest

Im new here and have introduced my self...I know im supposed to wait a little before posting , but this is to hard to resist !!! Here is my corvair !!!! ENJOY

Attached Files:

26. Rocket Sled

Rocket Sled
    from Hanover PA

I'm seriously thinking about putting a turbo on my 170 CI 6 popper in my falcon just for shits-n-giggles. Truthfully the best place to get real cheap turbo's is the 80's Chrysler K cars with the 2.2 motors in them. They came in the Omni's, Shadow's, Daytona's, New Yorker's and even the Minivans of the era. Hell there so cheap you could probibly get the car for free, take the turbo off, and sell the rest for scrap and make money on the deal! That's what I did:D ;)

27. There's a lot about turbo's and straight sixes on fordsix.com. There are a number of people plumbing them up with good results.