Register now to get rid of these ads!

UPS and Paypal warnings.... I hate em both

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Try FEDEX ground - cheaper and never had a problem in 2 years

2. tbirdscott

tbirdscott

FedEx has never given me any problems, great shipping, great service just like pay pal. UPS and E-gay on the other hand are the spawn of satan.

Sold a bike on ebay once(three times actually, same bike) and the guy decided he didnt trust me to be there to give the bike to the shipping company and wouldnt pay for it :rolleyes: E-bay wouldnt refund my listing fees 'cause they had some stupid reason and wouldnt reply to ANY of my emails. Eventually I was able to pester the "buyer" enough (threatened to roadtrip down there and 'meet' him) that he paid up the listing fees, yet I continue to spend hundreds of dollars on e-bay 'cause i'm a chump

3. hatch

hatch
    from house

I don't know where you live....

I'm just trying to tell you how easy Western Union is. You can call them...give them a creditcard number and they do the rest. I have gotten money overnight from Italy...trouble free. Kmart also sells them, at 59 cents apiece. The point is this....shipping packages and transferring money has to be done in some manner......Western Union has been in the money business for decades....As far as packages go, choose your poison. I will never use USPS again...lying bunch of assholes. I shipped a package worth a thousand bucks, it never arrived and they claimed it was signed for. My sister doesn't lie....she never got the package, and didnt sign for it either...the postman signed for her....LIke I said..."Choose your own poison"....

4. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Paypal works exactly the same way as any credit card company.
    If the buyer makes a claim, they nearly always win.
    I've used Paypal for years along with UPS and found them excellent.
    I won't say perfect, every system has faults.
    The problem with any of them is the people behind the system, and of course, unreliable buyers and sellers that try to exploit the systems.
    It doesn't matter who makes a claim if your a vendor using mastercard, visa, american express, paypal or what ever, policy is pretty much the same.
    UPS shops are all franchises and bloody expensive and another bad link in the system. I won't use them.
    Basically unless you get paid in cash and hand the items to the customer, you stand a good chance of getting screwed.
    The more variables you introduce, the more the chances.
    It was much better when we swapped parts for beers.
    At least if we got that wrong we had nobody else to blame and felt good about it.

5. monsterflake

monsterflake

if you need any more reason to use fedex, consider this...monday, i'll be back to work, full time, just over a year (march 10) since i got hurt. they easily could have told me to stay home and take the social security check, but they've made tremendous accomodations to keep me in the fold. while i'm getting paid a couple bucks an hour less than i made as a driver, i ASSURE you, it's way more than i'd make, based on my present physical ability.

i've worked at fedex since '87, and since '89, i've worked in the express freight (150 lbs +) division. my new job duties include keeping track of service failures, and trying to prevent them. if you have any questions about shipping heavy stuff, check with me, maybe i can help you prevent damage from occuring during shipment. also, if you need help resolving an issue that's already in the pipes, i *might* be able to help, by sending you in the right direction.

6. Clark

Clark

Monsterflake....that's good to hear. When a person gets injured working for UPS they don't have a job unless they are 110 percent. My back is weak now and I'm only supposed to lift 40 pounds. UPS didn't want me back unless I had no restrictions.

I'm better off now.
    Clark

7. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

gawd damn, what a f--ing mess you have

8. Lownslow, how did that dash arrive using Greyhound? Any problems?

9. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

I want to scream soooo loud right now. this on going saga with me and unclescooby about the blower is at the point it is stupid.

I have a bunch of friends that work a UPS corprate in mahwah nj They took all my info and called all the people they know and found out the following

1 UPS store that sent package to wrong place never put insurance on the call tag for it to be shipped from flordia to me in nj

2 UPS store got refund on shipping from fl to nj over a week ago and never let me or uncle scooby know (store manager told me they did not know they had to reinsure the package) YES THEY ARE THAT DUMB

3 UPS corprate claims assetment say the store has to pay not UPS (reason we have been getting the run around)

4 owner of the ups store will not call me or uncle scooby back (knows he has to pay out of his pocket)

At this time im going to put all my effort into getting this solved and once it is done I will make sure he looses his franchise with ups ( wich he has more then one store.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Slag, Check your PM's. I wonder if this UPS Store owner also ownes the one in my town.

11. Satinblack

Satinblack

You know what this basically boils down too????

Just like everything I've ever delt with. New ideas start out great! Ebay, paypal, bidpay..........the list goes on. The main problem is when something good gets popular there is always someone out there circumventing the system and using it in a way that gets them money and screws someone. No matter what system you put in place or how you change it to work better some a holes will always come along and figure out a way to rip someone off. Ebay was great at first and still is good in theory, but like anything else it gets abused. Now there is fake auctions and such.

The only thing you can do is protect yourself with whats in your control. The separete bank account idea is good. I think I may do that myself so I don't get screwed in the future.

As far as shipping well were screwed there. Unless we just conduct all our shipping in hamb relays. Heck we could start our own shipping company and ship stuff. But like anything else it will get huge and quality control will decline and before you know it we'll have people trying to get there insurance money back from us, and we'll say thats not really an insurance, its just a cost of value..............

12. Shaggy's Dad

Shaggy's Dad

Well I feel better about my bad experience with damaged ebay goods since it was ONLY a cracked header for $100. I didn't know about the crack until I resold the header a few weeks later and the new guy found it. I just refunded his dough and ate the loss. What ever money we save is not worth the aggravation. I think I'll use the intrnet only to set up arm's length sales from the back of the truck.

13. mrkerb

mrkerb

I generally agree that Fed Ex is the best and has the most up-to-date tracking info but..... be aware that even if you state the value of your item they won't pay more than $500. They really damaged a nice old guitar and the settlement wouldn't replace the case that it was in let alone the guitar itself.

14. I generally have a long wick in the patience department, and it also take me a long time to work up a bitchfest about a company, but I hear completely your woes, brutha.

Just last week, I was supposed to recieve a computer via UPS ground. Friday rolled around, and I got home to see the sticker on the door. I called the distribution center, and they allowed me to come by between 8 and 9 to pick it up from "will call".

I get there, and find a traffic jam in the lot. They're allowing only 5 or 6 people in the lobby, and we were asked to wait outside our cars until we were summoned inside. Early march in Michigan=20 degrees air temp.

I get to the counter, still being patient, and ask to see the box. It is clearly labeled as a computer, with manufacturer logos all over it, and a 5 inch square red-and-white sticker reading "fragile". YET, there's a corner of the box that's completely flattened down the whole edge. I was told I have to sign for it, and deal with customer service after the fact.

Took it home, and photographed it as I was unboxing it. Packing foam was fragmented, case of the computer was scratched, as were internal components. Now, I'm between pissed and depressed, since I had saved for 9+ months to get this specific model.

Monday rolls around, and I call the seller. They say, no problem, we completely understand, and will help you the minute we recieve UPS' claim forms. That same morning, I make the claim with UPS, and am told I need to wait until close of business on Tuesday for a call from an inspector who will determine if the equipment is damaged. 4:20PM, Tuesday, I recieve that call. Whew. Nothing like 'ol fashioned customer service. Now, I have to schedule 1/2 day off to go home, wait for the inspector. I do this Wednesday, now UPS has to mail or fax this paperwork to the seller. This could take 1 to 10 business days.

So, I'm in digital purgatory. But this is not the first time I've hated UPS. Busted boxes when I recieved my '39 Ford trans. Ordered stickers for the website, and the UPS driver didn't even knock the day I was home and supposed to recieve the package-yet there it was, a bright yellow sticker!

I've also read that UPS shipped (?) four boxes of estate furniture from Atlanta to Denver. Three showed up almost unboxed, and many in several pieces. A serving plate from the MIDDLE of one of the boxes was bent beyond repair. Family heirlooms completely destroyed.

After this complete debachle, I will no longer do ANY shipping via UPS. You guys have mentioned there are alternatives, and many are cheaper. DHL, FedEx ground, and USPS, to name three right off the top.

Pissed, yeah, I am. I'm not drunk or generally that grumpy, but I want to beat the shit out of the guy that busted my computer.

Boycott UPS, and save your important stuff.

15. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I got a call from The UPS Store corporate office today (not UPS) and they left a message and didn't return any of my other calls today. I finally called back tonight and played the game of waiting for 20 minutes "until the next representative was available" and then saying I need a live human being to help me right now. I got put in to voice mail four more times and zero'd back to the operater each time saying "NO, I need a person, not a machine". Finally, I got a girl named Tinisha who said this happens frequently. The corporate office doesn't have any real power over the UPS Stores! She called the store with me on the line and got the assistant manager, David Ferguson, again. He said he couldn't help us because the manager has all the information (he's been telling us this for weeks and the manager is never in for the last two weeks and won't return calls). The UPS Store Corporate girl asked David (the assistant manager) for the phone number of the manager and he said, "I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to give that out"....this is to the corporate office of his own company! She is trying to follow up tomorrow morning but I gaurantee the same result. I'm filing my claim with the BBB and the Attorney General's office tonight and am going to see if I can sue the guy for time and heartache on behalf of Slag and me in addition to the claim. What a nightmare.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Can anyone tell me what the fans reaction is when the UPS sponsored NEXTEL car crashes out of a race?

17. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

what the hell would we all do without the HAMBilitia? place like this, we've got friends in most all of the places, let alone more than a few high ones. hope it works out in some way, at least the corporate UPS is aware of the bullshit going down, oughta count for something if it goes to legal proceedings.

18. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

FWIW, In paypal fine print about insurance coverage.

When you sell something via paypal you need to login to your account and mark as shipped.

IF you do not do this paypal will not honor any claims and there insurance is considered void.

Hope this helps someone cover there ass.

Unfortunatly I learned the hard way.

19. kb cookout

kb cookout

Uncle Scooby, Try going to this website www.planetfeedback.com and entering your complaint against both. The site will bring up the CEO and address so that you can mail or email them plus post your complaint on their boards for review. I did it once to Lowe's and promptly got a letter of apology from the store manager.

Another idea might be to contact one of your local TV stations or WAVE 3 in Louisville where the UPS Hub is and tell them of the problems your having. WAVE 3 has a problem solver that will contact the company and usually is very effective. I'm sure the friendly UPS people won't want this on TV.

Later, kb

20. roadster36

roadster36
    from Sonoma

I had UPS run into part of my shop with their truck while backing up. My neighbor heard them do it and saw him drive off. The driver wrote a note on the side of the box he dropped off stating he would report it. He never did report it and didn't log the package as delivered. I called and wrote UPS.They said the package was lost and that they didn't know where it was. I told them that I had the package with the note from the driver. UPS totally ignored me. The dispatcher/supervisor said that nothing happened to the truck. The driver on that route that day denied causing the damage. I send everything USPS or Fed EX now.

21. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

http://www.pressroom.ups.com/execforum/bios/0,1393,,00.html gives the name of all the UPS executives who should all be locatable through the Atlanta office.
    Since the UPS store manager actually laughed Saturday and said "you are wasting your time trying to sue me, you signed your rights away when you signed the bottom of my form (citing paragraph 3 on the UPS Store Form). I got a letter from him waiting at the post office, denying any responsibility despite the fact that they admit they sent the packages to the wrong place, and didn't correctly insure them for the reroute. He says UPS can't prove they weren't damaged on the way to the wrong place when they WERE insured. UPS is saying it is the responsibility of the store since they did not insure them when they were damaged (which they say they can prove but not to me because the UPS Store is the shipper and not me). The UPS Store corporate office has no power by their own admission. I'll try corporate to get a big VP ear tomorrow and then sue the store, UPS, and the UPS Store I guess. What a hassle but the officer site might be useful to anyone else who ever experiences something like this. Every company has someone who cares and you can usually find them on the web.

22. OLD SWEDE

OLD SWEDE

Scooby ,,,

I had a deal with pay pal and evil bay ,, bought and paid for a sign ,, 29 days later it wasnt here , seller said they were on vacation, so I got a hold of pay pal, { 30 day limit } ,, all they would say is we will check into it ... a couple days later I was checking my account, and seen a deposit, { refund } from the seller ,,, then pay pal took out their share ... WOW they get paid twice .. but lucky to get my funds back,, or at least part of them ..
    but never got any real answers from pay pal, or evil bay .. just think now ups and all the others will get paid more for screwing up things,,,, 8 % increase comming in shipping costs .. higher gas prices ...... up to 2.269/10 here ..

Good luck on your quest ,,,, Ohhh I did have a ins claim with ups once,, a neon sign ,, took a long time to get resolved ,, months ,, they wanted it appraised, and they got to pick the person to repair the sign ,,, now the sign is not orginial ... real value is gone ... and you can easily see where it was repaired ......

JEFF

23. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Slag,
    I got a hold of Elaine Jordan who works directly with Kurt Kuehn, the Senior Vice President of UPS Worldwide in Atlanta. I have faxed her all the documentation and the certified letter from the UPS Store denying any responsibility and suggesting that I sue UPS directly with the help of the UPS Store. I think I'm getting somewhere and will let you know.

24. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Happens all the time, mainly because of "double labels"... this is where the shipper forgets to check all six sides of the box to see if there are still some old shipping labels on it somewhere. Guess where the box goes when there is still an old label on it...

25. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

DING DING DING

This is key: packing items WELL. Most people do NOT. I worked for UPS for over 8 years and nearly all the damages I saw were avoidable with BETTER PACKAGING. So have the damages I've received from other people when parts trading interstate. I try to tell people how to pack stuff, and they don't. Then problems happen, and I ask the shipper why they didn't follow my packaging instructions, and they respond in a slack-jawed manner (with a little drool drip), "Gee, I didn't think that would happen..."

I have shipped out about 800 packages now and have never once had someone tell me something got damaged-- because I take the time to pack VERY WELL. It also helps to have seen what causes damages in dozens of various scenarios, in order to understand how to prevent it I guess.

26. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I don't know where you worked, but where I worked most of the problems arose because of the insane amount of work that was expected to be done in an insanely short amount of time. It's no wonder stuff starts getting beat up. People HAVE to start tossing in order to even begin to get their work done. This also is the reason for a whole lot more stuff that goes on. Many of the service people would be glad to do a better job if the corporate monkeys weren't forcing such drastic overload. It is seriously bad inside the terminals. For instance, when I was a sorter, I had to pick up a package, find the label, read the label, and take the package and put it on one of eight conveyor belts at the rate of 1500 packages per hour, minimum. That's one every three seconds, folks. And they would have supervisors sometimes stand right next to you with a clicker, counting you. Oh yeah, and using cameras to do the same sneakily sometimes.

Most of you guys have only seen delivery drivers. Once in a while these guys aren't in much of a hurry at any time. One big reason I have personally seen for this, at least in the area I worked in, is that the company likes to create jealousy amongst the union employees-- this is a tactic they pull in order to try to keep the union bond as weak as possible. And so, some drivers get seriously cushy routes. I don't even want to get into the type of work load I had to deal with, but to give you a glimpse, when I was delivering my first run of stuff in the morning, it was "Next Day Air". That was the first stuff to get off the truck. This all had to be delivered by 10:30 AM. I occaisionally had to make more than 25 deliveries. Guess what time I got out to my route area? 9:20 AM...

27. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

You, too??? That's why I had to leave. Imagine that coincidence!

28. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

This is the ABSOLUTE TRUTH

29. haring

haring

Well, this thread is timely for me because UPS lost another package.

:mad:

I bought a nice '35 dash from a woman in Canada. The package entered North Dakota on 03/09/05 and then disappeared. Online tracking showed no info.

After several phone calls, we were finally able to submit a "trace". I talked to a UPS rep and asked, "what can I do?" He said, "I don't understand." So I explained that the package has been missing since the 9th and I'm concerned that it took 5 phone calls to finally get UPS to look for the package. He began angry and defensive, saying that they can't track every package and are not responsible for knowing when packages are delivered.

Wow, really?

I am so fed up with this pandemic of unaccountability. UPS admitted they are irresponsible, yet the average guy is left with no satisfying recourse.

30. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Just received a paypal notification that indicated my account has been froze due to suspicious activity and to please respond to activate it . Looked like the real thing for sure.

I went to paypal and found it was not frozen. I copied and sent the email to them. It'll be interesting to find out what action they take.