Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Daytona Sands

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 17, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

Holy Hell that's incredible!

3. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Great clip , thanks
    I remember as a kid being a the Daytona board walk amusment park. There was a glass case or window with vintage black and white photos of the races and land speed cars.

4. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

"....a turnover is terriffic..."

Classic. I love those "old timey" announcers.

5. Moondog13

Moondog13

6. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Those two guys up in that stand had to be experiencing a serious pucker factor on some of those near misses. :D

7. Speedvision showcased the color version of this filmstrip many years ago...I believe it's floating around on YouTube somewhere. This was the 1952 Sportsman-Modified race.

Luckily, the modified & sportsman cars usually had roll bars (albeit usually a single loop)...Grand National cars were not required to have roll bars until around/after 1954 IIRC. Heck, seatbelts were not even mandatory until after 1951!

8. Wow, It seems no one was figuring it out after the first three went off... Cool footage.

9. MODELA30

MODELA30

Now that was cool!!!!!! Thanks knuck from indiana. By the way i like the one with the h.

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic !!:D

Gee, maybe we should rope the hood shut ...:p

11. skidsteer

skidsteer

Racing with FENDER SKIRTS on??? Guess somebody thought that was a good idea. BTW, especially liked the "new" old HAMB girls. Saved that one to my (old fashioned) memory.

12. now thats racing!

13. Here are the full color clips from the race;

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kNzgKdxOMio"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kNzgKdxOMio" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

14. weldoneinc

weldoneinc

The turns where access ramps to get on the beach , i used to surf there when i was young . it was kind of out of the way and untouched till the 90's then came the condo's

15. 76ironhead

76ironhead

I cant belive thoes guys did not get out of the tower after the first dozen or so cars rolled by.

16. Watch the color video at about the 8:30 mark...I don't think those are fender skirts...they look like a bar that goes across the fender opening, for what purpose, I'm not sure. I highly doubt NASCAR would have let him out there with fender skirts, but you never know!

17. prost34

prost34

its such a shame,now theres hotels instead of that grass front ,the boardwalk is so small,,thats when nascar was racing,not like today,,,

18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

just watched a thing on bill france sr today.the reason or what he said that so many wrecked there was the brakes were so bad on those cars.great story on him and about the start of nascar. love the old nascar footage.

19. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

I'm wondering too why they didn't throw a yellow and get that car off the track? Different rules and saftey concerns back then.

It makes me think of local dirt track racing and how much more entertaining it is than the NASCAR of today.

Thanks Ryan and you too gwhite. Great stuff.

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

"He's Flying Blind!"

21. autobilly

autobilly

Wild racing, those guys were really "goin' for it"! Thanks for the extra footage gwhite.:)

22. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

That's my grandad!!

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

shades of the beloved jalopy races here from my youth at the Gardena Speedway....who would have guessed that the races on the beach would end up being the huge corporate machine that it is today...fun stuff...bare-knuckle racing, the way it ought to be

24. Who?

25. BStoltz

BStoltz

That number 47 Jimmie Lewallen was driving was an awesome car...... Pretty incredible video, things sure as hell were different back then!

26. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Marvel Gallentine #5, (that's him in my avitar in the 36) he raced before that one. He and his brother raced beach races before the war. I can't imagine being able to have that much fun. Too bad it's all over now, I missed out. Stock car racing should be just that, Stock cars! Not the big money crap of today.

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

It's a long way from there to the car of tomorrow... Gary

28. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks loads for the footage. It's like watching all the stories my Dad has come true..............

29. ehdubya

ehdubya

So Tim Flock's pet/co-pilot 'Flocko Jocko' wasn't the only monkey at Daytona :eek: Slack jawed and drooling awesome